575M Build | Page 3 | FerrariChat

575M Build

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by white out, May 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I wonder how much of the increase is from removing cats and freer flowing pipes? I am still sceptical of the whole x pipe merge thing but I have no horse in this race and more power to you for going ahead and doing this. Best of luck with your build.

MRY likes this.
  2. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Don't think its been mentioned above, but is there any fuel map adjustment that's planned as part of this? You've got scope to improve power and responsiveness by doing some re-flashing- especially worthwhile with the exhaust mods. The GT-N fuel mapping is a good place to go to for the fuel maps, and you can remove the throttle demand delay built into the engine ecu's so that pedal movement results in instant throttle body actuation. I've got quite a bit of experience flashing these ecu's now- PM if you want any tips.

Like I said- I'm skeptic looking forward to being proven wrong!

3. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    I’m also curious about the increase in flow from the cat removal. And am also skeptical about the need for an xpipe as there is no odd fire on a 60 degree v12 as the cylinders fire every 30 degrees.

On another note, Unless the firing is in one bank of two or more cylinders in sequence that empties into the same header collector, it would not make sense that the exhaust pulses collide and restrict flow and as a result need an xpipe to use the opposite bank to scavenge the previous bank’s cylinders.

So if the right bank of 6 cylinders was for example 1-6 and left 7-12 and 4 groups of 3 cylinders share a common header, then 1-3;4-6;7-9;10-12 in my example, then it would take a sequential firing within those four groups to cause a flow restriction. Ferrari’s 3:1 header tells me that this may not be the case, and the firing switches those 4 groups in sequence.

The pressure waves and scavenge would collide in a situation where pulses collide and be remedied by an xpipe. However I didn’t think that the v12 fires this way. I’m not fully familiar with the firing order to see if there would be a pulse collision in the pipe due to the firing order. But I guess I can check the numbering and figure it out.

I’m also curious about the approach and retreat angles of the xpipe and if it’s being used for scavenging or just an achievement of pitch of the exhaust note. Same with the crossover.

There’s also the routing of a 6:1 header when matched with the firing order to create a pulsed swirl to use the pressure wave to swirl the collector gases out at a faster rate than without swirl. This setup doesn’t appear to be using that in the header and down pipe design.

Anyway, like you, I have no dog in this hunt, I’m just skeptical about exactly where the increase in power is coming from other than removal of the cats, and also where in the powerband the increase is happening as it affects the area under the curve. (I’m actually concerned in this case that the extra curves in the secondary pipes will cause the gases to slow down more than in a 6:1 header as the heat loss will cause velocity loss and that will create another restriction.

If the powerband ends up being peakier with all the power on top, then it may not accelerate as fast as one with more curve area and a broader torque curve, and defeat the purpose...

Anyway, I’m curious how this will all work out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[gTr] and brogenville like this.
  4. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
  5. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Weighed the rear section for another loss of 10.8lbs

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Look at that crushed section of exhaust from the factory.

Next up, muffler deletes with valves and tips.

Il Tifoso and tres55 like this.
  6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #56 Auraraptor, May 12, 2020
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
    Naïve question: what are the little black cylinders with springs coming out of the end?

are they the actual hangers?

7. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    It's a tension spring, basically an exhaust clamp for slip-joint connections.

8. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Looks great Nick. Crazy to see how crimped and restrictive some areas of the factory exhaust are. Cant wait to see the end result of this 575 build

9. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I can’t get excited.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

masinari likes this.
  10. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    They make drugs for that.

hwyman, ONeill and JoeTSI like this.
  11. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    dgi, Il Tifoso, ewright and 3 others like this.
  12. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Does look very sexy with the flared Ti tips.

Or maybe that’s just my meds kicking in?

Seriously though, excellent craftsmanship, and great bit of weight reduction too. Looking forward to hearing the results, as I’m sure you are.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  13. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Looking forward to seeing the results of this setup. I have the full exhaust from Fabio on my 550 and it sounds like a proper Ferrari now...this has me intrigued.

14. 0-60

0-60 Rookie

Dec 26, 2012
    Bahrain
    Wow that came out amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Really enjoying this build. Thanks for sharing.

16. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Just put a video up on my instagram @lamborfuckinghini as a post (so it won't go away in 24hr) if anyone wants free rev sound. Expect to have the system complete tomorrow.

Haha!

I am extremely lucky to have an outstanding fabricator willing to make systems for me.

17. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Loving the artillery action on that video.

This is just a taster though, right? We need some external footage...

18. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    Sounds great, really impressed with your work!

19. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Yeah, just a teaser. Rolling footage will be coming soon.

JoeTSI likes this.
  20. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Wonder if your Diablo ignition coils could be retrofit to work on 550's ;)

21. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Mother of god that sounds AMAZING!

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    H- Maranello Skunkworks already has a COP conversion for the 550 done by John Cribb. Do a search here.

technom3 likes this.
  23. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    I Tried John he said his wiring harness maker isnt making harnesses anymore. Which is sad since his kit looked OEM

24. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Not to sidetrack this thread, but I've been looking for a good replacement harness builder for several years (my former builder suffered a stroke which incapacitated him). Someone who will build to the level of quality that I want, without needing 100 or more sets of harnesses at astronomical prices. Please PM me if you know of someone... and thanks in advance!

hwyman likes this.
  25. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- Will stop telling folks to ask until I read something that says you have a harness guy.