Gothspeed bypass valve | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Gothspeed bypass valve

Discussion in '348/355' started by jjtjr, Jul 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hexus

Hexus Karting

May 24, 2008
    Moscow, Russia
  2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    This is interesting, what gets stuck? Is it the shaft pivot surfaces or is it the flap in the housing or is it the vacuum can itself perhaps? I suspect a bit looser tolerance may resolve it if its mechanical interference is way I ask. Turbo cars have this set up on wastgate pipes that run for with no issues for decades.

3. Hexus

Hexus Karting

May 24, 2008
    Moscow, Russia
    Flap shaft pivot was stuck

4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Is there a bearing pressed on the shaft or is it slip fit?

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I don't have a 355, if I did I would solve it. If I could not make it work due to some design flaw I would replace it as there are many valves like that used on various cars for exhaust bypass and all sorts of things actually. Replace it with one that works and make it fit, or machine a new one etc etc. This does not seem like a hard problem honestly.
    Example, wrong diameter I know but you get the point. https://www.amazon.com/Loudvalves-Activated-Exhaust-Cutout-stainless/dp/B01D3W39WM

Just a thought.

johnk... likes this.
  6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  7. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I can tell you that when I got mine back from Goth after the repair it looked like he took a dremmel to the bore to increase the clearance for the butterfly. It has worked great since then. Good luck!

ernie and Qavion like this.
  8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Exactly. Porting as metal expands when hot.

9. Hexus

Hexus Karting

May 24, 2008
    Moscow, Russia
    Also bad metal:

10. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    My capristo twin valve has worked for over 10 years

11. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I annoyingly sold my Capristo bypass and fitted the Gothspeed only to have it seize. Sent it back for an update. But lost confidence in it as my friends ‘updated’ version too seized. Took it off and purchased another Capristo unit and no issues since.

12. Fspeciale

Fspeciale Rookie

May 4, 2016
    Brilliant dude? Not for me.
    I purchased a Gothspeed valve not long after owning a perfect capristo valve which I sold because I liked the Oem configuration better.
    Maybe 3 months later it seized. I contacted goth and he kindly told me to send back the valve and he will fix.
    After being off the road for 2 months when I finally came back, not long after it had seized again!.

13. Fspeciale

Fspeciale Rookie

May 4, 2016

Qavion likes this.
  14. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I love my crappy and my 360 carbon fibre steering wheel
    Best upgrades, only thing making it better would be carbon seats

15. Hexus

Hexus Karting

May 24, 2008
    Moscow, Russia
    I'm going to rebuild Goth valve using new bearings from better material and with higher tolerance

Qavion likes this.
  16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I thought the issue was not bearings rather flap interference with the body. As far as bearing, in high heat like that without any oil/cooling I would use a 12L14 slip fit sleeve and not a bearing I suspect.

17. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Well,
    After driving my car this weekend, found that the gothspeed valve is seized up again. I will take it out and put my original one back in. May try to see if it is repairable, but it may just end up a $1000 paperweight.:(

18. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Shocking, but not surprised. A real shame this did not function as intended. I don’t know goth and he has a few supporters on here that come in to bat for him, but it looks like a 100% failure rate and there is no denying that. Waste of money and he is no where to be seen since.

19. Hexus

Hexus Karting

May 24, 2008
    Moscow, Russia
    Actually if he was interested then this will be relatively easy job to release upgrade kits for his valves as only sleeves need to be replaced. Problem is to find suitable material for them so that they don't get jammed from heat. But this require some research. We tried to do so with two different sleeve materials and both failed very fast.

20. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Mine failed, was sent back and 'updated' and failed again. Capristo unit has no such issues, im back with that.

21. Hexus

Hexus Karting

May 24, 2008
    Moscow, Russia
    That is why i'm telling that they need to do research. Their current sleeve material is not suitable for exhaust valves.

22. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I removed mine last night, and it was freed up. I put my OEM unit back in and disassembled the goth valve. What 2 materials did you use that failed? I also agree that the bushings are the cause of the binding.
    I have a good friend of mine that is a machinist and I'm sure that he could make up a set easily. I would think that bronze with impregnated graphite would be suitable but that is a question for a metal expert or engineer to consider expansion coefficients.

23. Hexus

Hexus Karting

May 24, 2008
    Moscow, Russia
    Stainless steel and bronze. Bronze couple of times. First time inner diameter was too narrow and valve was jammed very soon. Last time no stuck but now valve rattles especially when cold.

24. Hexus

Hexus Karting

May 24, 2008
    Moscow, Russia
    Capristo valve doesn't rattle in time?

25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric