458 - Dual Clutch Transmission Question - Whilst Sitting at a Traffic Light | FerrariChat

458 Dual Clutch Transmission Question - Whilst Sitting at a Traffic Light

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Rexcat458, May 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello,

Some of the traffic lights around these parts keep you waiting long enough to celebrate a birthday before they change... So my question relates to the dual clutch transmission in the 458, whilst in Auto mode.

If the light is long enough, the DCT will shift into neutral. I assume this is to protect the transmission from excessive wear or heat? If that’s the case, it begs the question should I be shifting into neutral at all lights (since you can wait a loooooooong time to proceed at some lights in these parts).

What’s the best protocol to care for the DCT at long lights if you’re in Auto mode? Obviously, I want to do the best thing to care for the DCT, but this is the first car I’ve ever had that featured a DCT, so my knowledge base is thin as vapor!

I realize many of you shift manually, but for those times when you do not, what do you do at long lights if you’re in Auto mode? If I do nothing, it will shift into neutral automatically.

Should I just shift into neutral preemptively? Does it hurt the DCT to sit at long lights frequently until it auto shifts into neutral? If it does not hurt the DCT to be in first gear at long lights, why does it auto shift into neutral? What’s the best practice in this situation?

I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. I know I can just shift manually, but there are times when it’s just easier, like when you’re in lots of bumper to bumper traffic to just use Auto mode.

Cheers in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Page 46 of the manual, last sentence.

3. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    If driving sportily (is that a real word?) I will hit neutral coming into the light as I hate the aggressive downshifts when I am done playing (going to be sitting at a red light). Otherwise, I look at the lights. If I just missed it, I will go to neutral knowing I have a few minutes to sit there.

4. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    When I get some time I’ll retype that last sentence on page 46 for everyone.

Now, of course there will be less wear on the clutch if you pull both paddles and go into neutral coasting up to a light or a stop sign. But, with a dual clutch these are pretty much now considered lifetime. This was more a concern on a single clutch car which my Lambo is and more care needs to be taken and that must be done every time or the clutch will be gone way quicker than a dual clutch ever would.

5. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Here is what the manual says, in verbatim:

“During prolonged stops with the engine running, it is advisable to keep the gearshift in “N”.

One teensy tiny sentence in the manual, but it is on point. I wish they defined “prolonged” as it’s unclear how long “prolonged” actually is according to Ferrari.

Nonetheless, I will start shifting into neutral regardless of the amount of time I wait at the light, as it appears that this is the best practice.

Silly me, I was told at the F dealer that when you’re in “auto mode” it acts just like an automatic transmission in a regular car and you do not need to do anything but keep your foot on the brake.

I do not shift my SClass into neutral at every light, so I have not been doing that with the 458. Ugh... It now appears that this information is not exactly correct, as sitting “in gear” is bad for the 458’s DCT. Blimey!!!

Thanks to the responders for not making me feel like a two-year old for asking a silly question. I will now retreat to my man cave and polish the suspension on my 458 with Q-tips and the tears of an angel.

Ugh... Arghhhhhh!

6. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Why are you in automode???? +1 for shifting into neutral at lights

7. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello,

I’m still running in auto mode until I can get some instruction on using the flappy paddles in the 458. I have a friend with a 458 and he only runs in manual mode. He tracks the cr*p out of his 458, so he is well qualified to teach me about using manual mode.

However, with all of this Co-Vid19 stuff, that instruction is on hold for now. I just don’t want muck it up since it’s been 35 years since I drove a car (early 80’s Toyota Tercel) with a stick shift. I actually had hair back then... Hehehe.

I do have the LED shift lights on my steering wheel, so that’s a plus. I would just like to have someone in the car with me for a little bit to make sure I’m doing it right.

Cheers bruddah!

8. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Just take it out of auto mode and play with it. Rev it smoothly up to 3-5k and shift up by quickly pulling the right paddle. When you slow down below 2k pull the left paddle to downshift. You’ll start to get a feel for it. Don’t take your foot off the throttle when upshifting- confuses the transmission. You can’t really hurt anything with a double-clutch, so don’t worry about it. Just have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Has anyone with a DCT had to have their clutch replaced for normal wear? How many miles? I have a 488 - the direttore del servizio at my Ferrari dealer told me the clutch would outlive the car.

10. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Step 1 -- put in manual mode
    Step 2 -- wait until 6 or 7000 RPMs, then shift
    Step 3 -- ???
    Step 4 -- profit!

Seriously, manual is the only way to drive the 458. I drive "loud" instead of "fast." I go for 4 or 5 LED lights on the steering wheel in lower gears. Coming up to a stop light I down shift for maximum noise and then put in neutral at the light. The 458 is the only car I have driven where I hope to hit every single red light when I drive.

Rob

scott61, SVR and DefunctNeurons like this.
  11. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    And drive in Race mode.

12. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Neutral at every stop light, every time.

AlfistaPortoghese and Clembo like this.
  13. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    get the oil warmed up. so drive below 4k rpm for about 5-6 minutes. Then right click when you are as close to the redline as you want to get. when you are braking and the rpms are dropping left click. If you are breaking hard and have multiple shifts hold in the left paddle and it will automatically shift down for you at the right time.

14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Never in owning three 458’s have I considered putting it in N at a stop.
    Same for the Lambos, McC, 488s, Pista, Lusso12, BMW’s with DCT.
    Have never had an issue.
    FWIW.

15. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    I agree. Except if if a single clutch lambo, it helps with wear. Double clutch is basically bulletproof.

16. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Correct. Mine was Perf.

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I am confused, you dont know how use the paddles to shift gears?? Right is up, left is down - shift before redline. There is no instruction, its mindless. My 14 year old daughter figured it out in 30 seconds. Come on man.

18. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    With my 360, that had a single clutch, I always put in neutral at lights. With my 458, I just leave it in 1st gear. I don't think it does any harm on a double clutch transmission.

19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Lots of opinions on driving protocol for DCT. Just depends what mood you are in for when to shift. I don't drive in traffic with long lights. Its about heat. I tend to watch the water temp and if its hot out I do what I can to keep air flowing. Couple times shifted to neutral at a light.

Interesting though saw a video of a pro driver in the 599GTO back when it was being talked about. I think it was a hot lap at Fiorano. He drove with one foot on the brake pedal and the other on the gas. When accelerating it was always floored. The odd part was he was in AUTO all the time and downshifted manually but let the car do all the upshifting. Sometimes braking with it still floored. Different car and different transmission but found it interesting.

20. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    The techs and sales staff all said to just keep it in 1 with your foot on the brake at lights.

RaceMX - early DCT on California and 458 [10, 11] were more prone to failure. Ferrari didn't want dealers opening the transmissions though, replacement was instructed.

21. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I only ever drove my 458 and 488 in manual mode. Auto mode is an abomination as far as I'm concerned.

My policy on neutral at a stop was always this: anytime the car was stationary for more than 3 seconds, shift into neutral.

Ray

22. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks, that’s what the dealer told me... However, when sitting at longer lights the DCT will auto shift into neutral. This makes me wonder if it may have an impact if left in 1st gear. It would be great to have a F tech chime in on this... Cheers!

23. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks, my info was only from the sales associate not a tech, so your information seems to settle it since a tech confirmed no issue with leaving it in gear. Cheers!

24. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks so much for your reply and relaying your experiences with your three 458’s. I sincerely appreciate your assistance! Cheers!

25. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks so much for your assistance! The tip on keeping the throttle down when upshifting is something I have not heard as yet. Cheers!