Seb out of SF for 2021 | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Seb out of SF for 2021

Discussion in 'F1' started by 11506apollo, May 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bmagni

bmagni Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I think that's what's gonna happen, his words also make it seem as if he is looking for something else.

2. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    A little bit pessimistic here , sainz or Ricciardo aren't the main problem.
    The car and the team are.

DGPF, Boomhauer, william and 3 others like this.
  3. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Wait, who says there will be F1 in 2021?

4. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    Ferrari needs a clear #2 and that is what they are getting in Carlos. Massa to Alonso. Barrichello to Schumacher.

Igor Ound likes this.
  5. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Of course, Given the car, Charles will take the Wdc pretty sure of that, but why pick the worst of both possibilities?Ricci is a top driver, sainz is not and will never be, i know thats precisely why ferrari picked him, i just think Charles and Ricci could cohexist in Ferrari without any major drama.

6. SirPouyan

SirPouyan Karting
    BANNED

Oct 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    SirPouyan
    But why take the risk? What is the upside? The team is trying to build around CLC - why bring in a driver who doesn't have the profile of being a clear back-up?

7. becker

becker Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Becker Cuéllar
  8. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    I'd be surprised if Carlos has gotten that memo. I'm not at all convinced it's going to be that one sided...
    I think people are overestimating Charles a bit - there's going to be some fireworks with this pairing.

Boomhauer, SeaRay, Senna1994 and 2 others like this.
  9. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Overestimating someone beating a four world champion in his second formula one year with seven poles and two wins ?
    Was senna overestimated in 1985 ?

375+ likes this.
  10. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    That all comes down to how you evaluate Vettel and, IMO the performance gap Alonso V Räikkönen was always more significant than during the latter's pairing with Vettel. It's clear Chalres is fast, ~mature and formidable, but just how fast remains a little unclear. You can be sure Sainz (and his entourage) will not be entering the team with any thoughts of laying down for Charles.

Not really sure what this has to do with Senna re: 1985. There were still people thinking (5 years into his F1 career) that he was going to be 'exposed' (Keke among them) when paired alongside Alain in 1988...

11. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas

Ferrari doesn't want that.

Or that.

With two #1 drivers there's a good chance of it happening.

375+ likes this.
  12. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Ok i'm just trying to convince myself Charles is the new Senna ( not kidding)
    I just hope numbers don't lie ..

DGPF likes this.
  13. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    #213 Flavio_C, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    Leclerc is a hell of driver, but if there only another one who could be the new Senna: Verstappen.

DGPF, Bas, Senna1994 and 1 other person like this.
  14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Both follow(ed) the adage "if you can't beat 'em, crash into them." Highly effective tactic.

DGPF, sammysaber, stavura and 2 others like this.
  15. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I think this is rational. I would think Charles would like some competition. "Fireworks' are part of the fun. Thats a team problem to manage as well. Hopefully Binotto has learned to do this now given the Charles and Vettel issues he has faced. Im hoping Sainz is fast, in case Charles has more bad days than good potentially. It works both ways of course.

16. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I don´t get what´s the fuss about Sainz wanting to put a fight? Vettel was already doing that, and he was not very good at it, while the other option, Ricciardo, already had left Red Bull because he didn´t want to be #2 to Verstappen.

So in the end, they didn´t have a choice about that, unless they hired a nobody like Giovinazzi. At least Sainz, coming from the middle of the grid and without wins under his belt, will be more down to earth.

DGPF and barkanddex like this.
  17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares

Igor Ound likes this.
  18. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    McLaren offers classic cars to secure virus help https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52659194

19. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    All this means that since Renault have come back to f1 in 2016 and until at least 2022, they have never started two seasons in a row with the same drivers.

20. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Seb is a fool to even finish the season with Ferrari in what will be a crap car. Just retire and get on with this life. All the drivers should be looking at what to do in 2021 that doesn't include F1. If they actually try to award a WDC for 2020 it will too embarrassing to even accept

21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    That's a lot of money to leave on the table.

That's the first thing Seb said.

"It's not about the money."

Hahahaha

It's about the money.

Getting paid far less and yielding the #1 spot, he'll only do that with a lot of $$$ - who are we kidding. If he had any self-respect, he would take $1.00 to 'fulfill his dream' and stick with Ferrari. That's what I would do.

You got 120 million dollars to get shamed by a 2nd-year Rookie.

Get the hell out of here, Vettel.

DGPF, jpalmito and barkanddex like this.
  22. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #222 freshmeat, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    Who else thinks Ric stole Seb's seat at McLaren? As in the honey badger f**k'd him up yet again lol

23. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    100% on all counts you are right! The fact that Sainz was right up there with Max, before Max got promoted to RB, is a great example. I think Sainz is underrated if anything. I wish it has been Daniel, but regardless, I wish Seb the best. I think he is going to retire, unless as you mentioned he partners Hamilton. I keep hearing Alonso in the Renault, but how will he deal with a second year Esteban Ocon who is no slouch.

24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Some may find my disdain toward Vettel unsightly. Let me give context.

This post also contains some existential and philosophical meanders, so apologies if I take things 'too deep.'

I've wondered what the intellectual draw of folks to follow a 'team' passionately.

The elitist sociologist would argue that pure human nature, tribalism, support their 'local' geographical 'clan.'

Humans naturally want to 'root' for a group of folks that come from 'them,' so to speak.

Very understandable.

I support Ferrari because I love the ethos that the founder stood for. An uncompromising zeal to win, I find that admirable and also with the bonus that one can technically 'own' the team by paying one share of "RACE."

That's pretty cool.

As far as Vettel himself, he is not blood kin. He is not even a friend.

So my loyalties only apply to drivers when they've contributed to the team.

Now I don't think Vettel is terrible per se' Just that to me it was him that showed disloyalty by not staying on with Ferrari. Ferrari made it clear that Vettel would still have a place in the team, given that he accepts lower pay and a smaller role.

Vettel is now outclassed, and I believe in meritocracy. If Leclerc is faster/better - he should be #1 no? Vettel should take a pay cut, yes?

Instead, Vettel leaves because he won't take a pay cut and can't stand to be the #2 driver. Ferrari has shown loyalty saying he can stay on. It is Vettel that has shown disloyalty by demanding #1 spot and/or same amount of money.

25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I think the only person that f'ed Seb is Seb.

DGPF and jpalmito like this.