488 - 488 Pista poor exhaust noise with closed valves | Page 4 | FerrariChat

488 488 Pista poor exhaust noise with closed valves

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by GoHardGT3RS, Mar 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    I am Looking to get the exhaust controller for my Pista...you now have the controller that works with the Pista? Can you send me a price. Thxs

2. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    I know there are many options out there. I'll share the one that I've used on the Speciale for 4 years and have purchased for the Pista.

Forza Componenti Model B4-FP Exhaust Controller
    http://forzacomponenti.com/controller_b4-fp.html
    The gentleman, Steve aka @bisel, that developed these products is a member on this forum. He's a great contributor, and when you check out his Pista system, you can see he's gone to great lengths to make a system that is compatible with the Pista's unique design without affecting the way the ECU sees the controller.

Shadowfax and johnr265 like this.
  3. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    #78 Jason B, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    The Capristo will do it. Yep on both and all Ferrari's including Portofino which no one else has cracked yet.. I also have it on my own 458 :)

Yes. All good. What I also love is the controller. It's one of the nicest feeling aftermarket remotes I've ever seen. It's metal and have a nice weight to it. This picture doesn't do it justice, but it's way nicer than the factory key and you can feel the quality of it in your hand.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    I had my Pista valves pinned open today by my dealer (as I have done on previous cars) and it makes a huge difference. No more silence on deceleration events!

5. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Contemplating an exhaust. Maybe I should start with this.

Napoli likes this.
  6. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    i think you'd want a valve controller like forza regardless of the plumbing. may as well begin with that and see if it does the trick before you begin swapping out the hard bits.

Shadowfax likes this.
  7. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I’ve had them on a couple of cars. I like the idea of raising the pitch of the exhaust note. An x pipe design exhaust will lend itself well to that. Inconel as well.

plastique999, C50 and Shadowfax like this.
  8. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    if you go down that path, please share some before/after vids.
    I'd be curious if approaching the 355-tubi sound is possible (my platonic ideal of street car with a higher pitch at WOT).
    I know that it's not, but if it can be approached I'd be interested.

9. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I realize there is a serious lack of before/after videos of these cars. Pista in particular. I definitely will and under as similar conditions as possible. 355-Tubi, I agree, is the pinnacle. I’m just hoping for the upper harmonics to push through more.

C50 likes this.
  10. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Definitely the right first step. It was a more significant improvement than I expected.

johnr265 likes this.
  11. GoHardGT3RS

GoHardGT3RS Karting

Jan 1, 2015
    Germany
    Yes, it makes such a difference in the driving experience!

I have the CAPRISTO remote controller on my Pista and it works perfectly.

12. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Have scheduled an install for Tuesday. Was holding off because if I replace with a non-valved exhaust, it's a waste.

13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I really don't see it being a waste as a non valved system would wear you down after a while anyway. I've found on long runs after being on the throttle for a few hours it's just so nice to be able to give your head a rest before the next onslaught. Plus a bit of stealth is sometimes needed on occasion so It's good to have options. Also at this price point introducing compromises of any nature isn't desirable imo. I guess being locked down to no valves may work if you don't spend much time in the car or don't plan on any long drives..

14. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    It’s a fair point. And one that was the final deciding factor. Worth giving up a little sound for flexibility.

15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Flexibility is key in this car. Sound-wise you won't lose anything. It's only where you change the cats out for high flows or cat delete that you'll see any increase in actual volume as when the valves open the system is straight through anyway.

Tonality wise all feedback indicates the full X pipe is what adds the treble along with the change in material to the Inconnel which all raises the pitch but I think once you install a controller you may find you'll be happy enough anyway. It changes the driving experience noticeably. Check it out and see how you go.

I still say the Kline has the edge over the Novi as they have the full large X pipe with valves and two small muffler cans where Novi does away with the cans and the valves and just has the full X. Novi's valved muffler which they say adds more base - a deeper tone - (makes sense) as it looks to be just a larger version of the stock valved muffler design.

16. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    The Novi valved seems to add a broader tone to me. Bassier in a sense, but deeper. More dynamic with deeper lows and higher highs. From what I can hear, it is definitely higher pitched, which is the important part for me. Novitec tells me the difference is marginal between the valved and non. The fact of the matter is I’ve never hear any of them in person and before I make a decision, I’d like to hear some. Will be easier to find a Novitec as it’s more popular.

17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #92 Shadowfax, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    It’s hard to say whether any slight tonal advantage in changing to the novi muffler would be worth the significant spend. Its very expensive for whst it is. Anyway see how you go and appreciate any feedback if you go ahead with the muffler. For my money the Kline is still the choice for reasons you get the proper large X with valved mufflers and inconel for a lesser price. Novi have offered the same designed options for years for 458, 488 and haven’t upped their game like Kline has by offering the muffled and valved large X pipe design, both available in stainless or inconel for quite a bit less money. Novi is more recognised as a brand name for Ferrari - a bit like Capristo and Tubi - but Kline is clearly the edge holder in both design and price.

Gh21631 likes this.
  18. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    Is it Easy accessible

19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Apparently you cant do this with a Pista, there are many posts on this already.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  20. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    So I just had the Capristo Remote for the Pista installed. I was suspicious about how it was working, as the first button (OEM standard function) seemed to work normally, and the 2nd button (supposed to open the valves at all times) was in fact closing the valves indefinitely. It’s back to be fixed, but has anyone had any trouble with the Capristo remote?

21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I had the same problem with my F12. It didnt seem to be operating properly all of the time so I had it replaced and it seems better now.

22. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Ok, now that it's fixed, the sound is much more enjoyable. It sounds very good with more burbles on throttle liftoff and a linear rise in sound throughout the rev range.

Napoli likes this.
  23. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal

Novitec Pista

leopoldo likes this.
  24. markt2260

markt2260 Rookie

Jul 4, 2014
    Hi, how exactly has the dealer done this ?

25. markt2260

markt2260 Rookie

Jul 4, 2014
    the valves in the pista work in reverse compared to the 488 so the little magnet has to be used to make sure the valves are correctly operating.