F12 TDF current market pricing and volume | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F12 TDF current market pricing and volume

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by gzachary, May 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Herane

Herane Rookie

Jun 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Are you referring to the set located near Boston, MA? If so, that seems like a steal. Please let me know if there any other TDFs you see moving in the 700-800range.

2. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Dealers always have cars for sale not advertised. Especially Ferrari dealers. It only makes sense that the market is going to reset. How many people truly own these cars vs finance them? I was visiting our previous F dealer sometime in 2018 and overheard the framework of a TDF deal. I believe the car was selling for around $1k. The buyer put down (if I recall correctly) $250k. Financed thru FF and his payments were over $20k per month! How many people have been buying cars at this level using leverage? Could the market have even bubbled up like is did and arguably still is without easy money? What happens when/ if the loans go negative...borrower is underwater on the car loan? What happens if the borrower fears being underwater in the loan...they will indeed sell.

I know that the car market went up during the last crash/ correction in the economy. Hard assets etc. The difference now is that there possibly too many cars that have become 'modern classics' and the market is over-saturated.

If you want to know what a TDF is worth call 3 dealers and ask them what they will pay. Simple.

BTW, I do appreciate the whole argument about borrowing money when rates are low and then using that money for other investments. Makes sense, sort-a.

DGPF, ewright, x z8 and 1 other person like this.
  3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    one caveat here - i never finance my cars. the dealers basically pushed TDF owners to finance them (ie wldnt take no for an answer). There is a reason they do this, and it has to do with making your life hard if you try to sell it.

DGPF and Thecadster like this.
  4. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    That's right. They hold title, and likewise hold all control.

Thecadster likes this.
  5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    and some people dont even have their names on the title, rather the name on the title is the dealer....mmmmh.

6. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    The ones I'm talking about are at Ferrari of Washington or were at least last week, they've been to 2-3 dealers in the last year.

7. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    sure, FF holds title if the car isn't paid for. Not the dealer. We always pay cash for toys as well. In this strange new world, we are entering...I wonder if that's the move.

8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    There is a game they play for cash buyers as well. Its called the $1 dollar Lien.

of2worlds and Thecadster like this.
  9. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    yes, true.
    True story. I have a friend who owns at least 100 cars. Very focused collection. He buys and never titles them in his name. Bill of sale makes them his...no title flip, no paper trail. Never drives them. They are objects of obsession (in the best way) for him and not to be driven etc. Auto collection dark web :)

DGPF and x z8 like this.
  10. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    what is the $1 lien? i am a cash buyer too, this doesn't sound like a good thing.

11. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    worth saying...a TDF is a 'marketing' special edition. Like my sold Pista. Not really that special. It's not something like an F40. Don't be confused.

DGPF likes this.
  12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Dealer leaves a $1 lien on your car and therefore holds the title. You go to sell the car, look for the title and then call the dealer when you cant find it (cuz you dont have it)

of2worlds likes this.
  13. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Yes, a tdF hammered for 660K (731K with premium) at Amelia Island 2020, the car, according to carfax, the car was owned by a dealer (Algar), that looks like a wholesale price, no apparent reason for such a low price, car is an attractive combination, but, for some reason the dealer wanted it gone. There could be something wrong with the car, perhaps unreported damage? For instance, carfax shows the car being maintained at a McLaren dealer, just days before being serviced at Algar, that is suspicious, I suspect that car was involved in some sort of accident.

In other words, that sale does not make any legitimate sense, something is missing. If Algar had listed that car on their website for 750K even 850K it would likely sold very quickly, instead, after seller's premium, they netted less than 600K, that's a bad deal, and senseless.

14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    F12TdF has the plaque so VS numbered special edition besides being NA V12 and no other F12TdF variants. Pista unlimited (make as many as you can sell during production) and three variants in production at the same time (some with GPF). The F40 different class entirely today. I think your point is Supercar versus Hypercar which, of course, is correct.

09Scuderia likes this.
  15. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Speaking of confusion, have you ever driven one?

16. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    @ tt force i guess when they hold title for a dollar you signaling to corporate
    i’m ok with you doing this so u can sell me another special stallion...is this a good assumption of the game.
    For the insiders i assume.

17. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    Now you want to put stipulations on the sale, like their could be something wrong with it? Amelia island isn't the place for a dealer to dump the car, their are other avenues for them to dump the car. That's all anyone was willing to pay is why it sold for that much. The market spoke and is speaking. Dealers can ask whatever they want, but what it sells for is what counts.

cwall, x z8, 09Scuderia and 2 others like this.
  18. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You beat me to that question. Anyone who makes such a ludicrous statement clearly has no idea {insert facepalm emoji here}

RyanFoH, Caeruleus11 and Eilig like this.
  19. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    100%

09Scuderia and carz80am like this.
  20. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    By looking at how long those 599 GTO, 458 SA, etc sitting at dealer's lots, I would assume the same for TDF's. The flippers and naysayers on the TDF's should have so far gone at this point. By looking at how long those 599 GTO, 458 SA, etc sitting at dealer's lots, I would assume the same for TDF's. These owners are so rich that dont really care. What's 1m to them, a bathroom sq ft on one of their beach home?

21. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I just hope whoever has the pleasure of owning a TDF drives and enjoys it

Dreaming of adding one with miles to my garage down the road!

gzachary and C50 like this.
  22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    These cars couldn't be uglier. They are so poorly configured they will never sell.

DGPF, 500drvr and carz80am like this.
  23. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    The cars have literally been for sale since delivered when new to the dealer in SLC, just bouncing from dealer to broker, to dealer, etc, etc.

24. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Yes, I have driven one. And yes it's spectacular. The overarching point I was attempting to make (perhaps poorly) is that Ferrari (and all other makers) will pump out more and more 'special cars'. The market is oversaturated. Too many 'special cars' to choose from. Ferrari will come out with the next TDF (or GTO) and then what? The market moves on.
    We were at the Amelia auction in March. That Yellow TDF was spectacular. Loads of special details. It sat near an equally impressive Speciale Aperta. If I recall the Speciale hit a higher number.

DGPF likes this.
  25. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    ... also worth saying, ~1,315 F40's produced compared to ~799 tdf's produced.

First you say "not really that special" then you say "spectacular." Hard NOT to be confused by your posts.