2020 silly season | Page 4 | FerrariChat

2020 silly season

Discussion in 'F1' started by Mitch Alsup, Mar 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

That's a win-win for Mclaren.

McLaren gets Mercedes engines and it's quite possible they get Ricciardo.

Things are finally looking up for McLaren with Siedl on-board too.

william and DF1 like this.
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yes, very good news for McLaren!

If confirmed, they will have all the stars aligned for next year: management, engine and driver.

I can start rooting for them again !

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Alonso to Renault?

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Both Renault & Alonso were teasing this on their Twitter feed yesterday

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Makes sense. But two hard bastards such as Ocon and Fernando....sparks....whereas at McLaren Daniel and Lando what a cool line up, if you had told me in the days of evil Darth Vader Ron Dennis that I would ever like a McLaren line up...!

Bas likes this.
  6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Le Unions will love that.

Lol

Alonso....once again to renault. This time Renault will be roughly where Mclaren was when he was really enjoying it so much.

Wait. Enjoying not the right word...

Nembo1777 likes this.
  7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Of course that bastard Abitoul wants it all included.

On paper the drivers may not receive more than whatever it says, but that won't stop teams paying the driver from an outside company...lets say Red Bull F1 pays max 100K, but Red Bull Drinks will pay Max the other 39.9 million for erm, promotional work.

There'll likely be a post-Corona crisis period which will limit the money made in the sport. But after that big money will be paid again.

9. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Exactly. Not so long ago the Nelson Piquet's contract with Lotus was reavaled and most of his salary was paid by Camel directly.

Bas likes this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It has always been the case, that some sponsors paid the drivers directly,and not the team.
    When they were team mates, Senna was paid by Honda, and Prost by McLaren.
    Marlboro also paid some drivers directly, etc ...

11. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Bas, spider_s and william like this.
  12. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    Forget including drivers salaries, how about we deduct what 'Pay drivers' bring to a teams budget allowance to disincentivize the practice?:p

Bas likes this.
  13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I disagree there. I see nothing wrong with pay drivers. If they can get a Superlicense, they are OK with me.
    In fact, pay drivers have allowed some teams to survive or overcome a bad patch.
    It's in part thanks to pay drivers that Racing Point (or whatever it will be called) and Williams may still be on the grid next year.

Simon^2 likes this.
  14. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    I 100% agree with you, hence my smiley emoji. Pay drivers have always been part of the sport including hacks like Lauda, Senna etc. :p
    Please note there's another smiley on the end of that sentence to denote humor!

I'd argue that people like Schumacher and Hamilton were also pay drivers as Mercedes and McLaren paid for them to get into F1 respectively.

Simon^2 and william like this.
  15. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    As the start of the 2020 season is getting closer and I think about watching the long-anticipated races, I realized that, with one or two exceptions, the current crop of F1 drivers is totally unappealing, not worthy of following, and that this pretty much applies to the teams as well.

16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Isn't it ironic how he of all people is moaning about the budget and needing the driver salaries included? He is the one that paid Ricciardo 30 million a season to drive his dogshit car. Surely he should know that paying a driver stupid money doesn't guarantee results?

If Williams paid Verstappen 500 million a season that car would still barely be a regular point scorer.

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Surely this makes it even easier for a rival series to emerge? F1 tends to get the better drivers, BUT this is partially offset because of the salary they (can) command.

Lets say F1 teams can't pay their top drivers decent salaries any longer. We all know the more invested into the car, the faster it goes. So salary of driver inevitably goes down. F1 introduces a salary cap of 5m. I guarantee you, the top F1 boys will be heading overseas.

NFL style ownership of teams, exciting engines, decent salaries, an environment where all teams can be competitive, easy viewing through Netflix, youtube, whatever....a ''GP1'' series was never born so easy.

18. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Valtteri Bottas will remain at Mercedes in 2021 with a new deal having been agreed in principle, sources have revealed to Autosport.

While a final contract has yet to be signed off, both team and driver have agreed terms for their partnership to continue in Formula 1 at least for next year on the back of the Finn's strong start to the campaign.

The agreement, which has been put together in the last few days, came after Mercedes CEO Ola Kallenius gave his blessing during a visit to the Austrian Grand Prix to an unchanged line-up for next season.

"We'll stay with our two boys," he told Sky Germany.

The deal for Bottas will now clear the way for Mercedes to make progress in hammering out a fresh contract with Lewis Hamilton, who has yet to agree terms for next season but is also expected to stay.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/150556/bottas-to-stay-at-mercedes-with-new-2021-f1-deal

19. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    IIRC, at first Marlboro didn´t pay Ferrari: the deal was that they payed the driver salaries.

20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Indycar is bursting with young talent, the more the merrier.

Again where would he go?

21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Just need to up the power on the indycars.
    He can't go anywhere.

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Retire ?