What Bourbon/Scotch are you drinking? | Page 9 | FerrariChat

What Bourbon/Scotch are you drinking?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by gh0st0, Oct 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    TexasF355F1 likes this.
  2. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

My general stash is getting low... had to use Angels Envy for our BBQ sauce when grilling today. Tasty!

Did you have that delivered? I need to look for options.

3. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Yes...found a couple of really good delivery options. The one I liked the best was in SF because their prices were very competitive, inventory was good, and they didn’t charge sales tax on my order.

4. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Share your source! MD 10% tax is tough. PM if you’d like.

5. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    PM sent

NbyNW likes this.
  6. sct4a

sct4a F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2008
    https://theepicureantrader.com

Prices are absurd and some are flat out price gouging IMO but i've used them occasionally and they ship without issues and no tax.

7. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    renman95 likes this.
  8. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    My little bro has talked about this stuff for years-I finally picked up a bottle about a year ago and it was pretty good! I'm cheap with bourbon though, probably drank too much of it in the college yrs, Makers is pretty much top shelf for me. Spend the extra $$ on better tequila in the summer months!

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  9. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    #212 soulsea, May 10, 2020
    Last edited: May 10, 2020
    Lmk he ever wants to unload some of the Hirsch, and if he has any Amaranth in that EHT pile.

10. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
  11. JL350

JL350 Karting

Jan 20, 2013
  12. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    No story. I was helping a friend consolidate and organize a longtime collection. I’ve enjoyed a few of these bottles. None are for sale.

NbyNW likes this.
  13. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    Fortunately, no casualties that day. At least not by structural failure or act of God. But it was a long day and we’re only human after all ....

JL350 likes this.
  14. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    So now that bottle-spot has been shut down, anyone know of another site to trade whiskey?

15. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
  16. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
  17. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Father's Day - like birthdays and Xmas, my wife goes to great lengths to find some really great bottles to keep me in good supply. She has become a real expert, and wants to go to Scotland to take classes now...

Two Kavalans (the pre-eminent Taiwanese distillery right now, but Nantou is rising to meet the challenge):

One is an ex-bourbon oak, a Solist that has been reduced down to the more normal drinking strength of 46% ABV. Oak, vanilla, fruit, a pretty strong boubon bite on the finish with a spice and chocolate going down the throat.

The second Kavalan is the Concertmaster, aged in American oak, and then finished in three types of port casks. Really good port smells on the nose, port and fruit, almonds and honey on the taste. Only 40% ABV, but still bites going down.

The final bottle is a Redbreast cask strength 12. Redbreast is a part of Midleton's, which is my favorite brand of Irish Whiskey. Redbreast is really good throughout their line, and this one is consistent with that tradition. Apples and fruit, vanilla, strong camphor you'll get with a 57.2%ABV. Thick and peppery, some chocolate notes. Orange peel and wood notes from the cask. A little water won't hurt the drink, and brings out the apple, spice and shortbread (biscuit) tastes.

18. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I have that Redbreast also. Really tasty.

I always thought most of the ex-bourbon oak barrels went to Scotland for Scotch. Used once here and done then to whatever market wants them. Seems everything is being finished in ex-bourbon barrels now. From cigar tobacco, wine, to cherries.

19. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    90% of the casks used to mature Scotch are second-fill barrels from US bourbon or Tennessee whiskey distilleries. Laphroaig's bourbon barrels from Maker's Mark, fo instance. A lot of the time, the barrel used is a matter of which company owns both the Scottish and American distilleries.

Of course, Macallan and others use sherry casks, (usually from Spain, the best from Jerez), some increasingly use Port casks from Portugal (the best are Glenmorangie's Quinta Ruban, Kavaln Solist & the Concertmaster mentioned above, and Balvenie's 21 Port Wood, expensive and excellent).

Each imparts a different flavor and color, and the blending of casks is becoming more common now that NAS (no age statement) bottles are more common. My wife loves Crown Royal XO, which is finished in Cognac barrels. I always have a bottle of their Northern Harvest Rye, but the XO has a smoothness to it that is really good.

brookliner7 likes this.