Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for 360: Ordered • Installed • Fits! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for 360: Ordered • Installed • Fits!

Discussion in '360/430' started by Alpintourer, Oct 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    No. The thread is about Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. They don’t come in OEM sizes, but as several have reported, these work better and the alternative sizes in the OP’s post have no downsides apart from being ever-so-slightly smaller in overall diameter.
    Despite the “4S” model name, they are summer tires, not four/all seasons. I have them on order and can’t wait to have them installed. My current RE-11s are aged-out with a date code in 2013 (fronts are 2011!), so I’ve been reluctant to push my car very hard recently or hardly drive it at all until I can get the new tires on the car.
    Thanks, everyone, for the great advice and feedback.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Apollo 11 likes this.
  3. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I'm about to pull the trigger on the recommended P4S sizes as I'm receiving a 360 (first F-Car) next week and it needs new rubber. I have P4S on my 911 and love them. I plan on driving mostly mountain and canyon roads in the SF Bay Area. No track days for this car. Sounds like many owners here are happy with these tires and do not experience any fender rubbing.

I always like to evaluate risks and fixes before I make decisions. Two questions to help me with that thought process:
    1. If the tires to happen to rub on the fenders, can the fenders be rolled after damage has occurred?
    2. Owners who already have the 225/40 and 285/35 tires installed and have had no rubbing issues. What kind of driving do you do?
    Thanks!
    Bear

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I responded to your post on another thread. To answer the additional question, if there is any interference, it shouldn’t cause so much damage that you can’t roll the fenders afterwards. I had mine rolled after a track session when I found I was getting interference from RE-11s in stock 18” sizes. You will really like the MP4S tires.

TheRealFlyingBear likes this.
  5. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Thanks for the info!

6. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    As a newbie, I am still a bit confused. My 2007 F430 Spyder manual says 225/35 R19 and 285/35 R19. These are available in PS4S from Tire Rack. Why did the OP go with 225/40's? Is there a reason NOT to go with the OEM tire sizes?

7. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    OP was taking about 18" rims on the 360 not 19" on F430

8. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I have the Firestones on for now, somehow the handling isnt there any more. The RE-11s were awesome but no longer made.

9. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    Oops - my bad. Didn't read the details. Thanks.

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  10. Silber

Silber Karting

Jun 6, 2014
    Switzerland
    If any of you want to run 360 standard sizes, you can have Pilot Sport 4 on the front and Pilot Super Sport at the rear. They're virtually identical tread (and infinitely better than the Pirellis).

11. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    good info.

12. Performify

Performify Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 4, 2020
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #87 Performify, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
    direct link for the Pilot Sport 4S currently ~ $1020 shipped a set:
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S&frontTire=24YR8PS4SXL&rearTire=835YR8PS4SXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

fitment in question (225/40R18 Front & 285/35R18 Rear) search results on TireRack to save people a step if you want to check out other options in this size:
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?&frontWidth=225/&frontRatio=40&frontDiameter=18&rearWidth=285/&rearRatio=35&rearDiameter=18

I personally ended up just today going with the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 that are on sale right now ($575 shipped for a set, in OEM fitment Front: 215/45R18 and Rear: 275/40R18). Seem to be very well regarded as a budget ultra-high performance tire.

Kevin Rev'n likes this.
  13. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I bought the Firestones, they are cheap in cost, but I won't buy them again.

14. ItalienCar

ItalienCar Karting

Nov 12, 2016
    California
    Can you elaborate why ?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Performify likes this.
  15. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    poor grip, squeals in turns on my car

Need4Spd likes this.
  16. Performify

Performify Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 4, 2020
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Eric
    quick update.

~100 miles on the Firehawks and experienced full tread separation on the highway out of the blue today. Car felt a bit floaty for a minute or two before, but no noise or vibration at all. Then went to vibration (i immediately checked mirrors and crossed three lanes of highway safely to park on an onramp) and a noise... which was the tread of the tire rolling down the highway.

Good news, i'm safe, car's safe (other than some rubber mark that wouldn't come off the wrap around the wheel well, and a slight scuff in the clear coat that's remaining after the rubber wiped away with goo gone, but my detail guy can probably correct it). And the wheel looks like its just fine... won't know for sure until it's rebalanced.

Recovered the tread via the road assist, no punctures visible at all.

Either manufacturing defect (google search "firestone firehawk + tread separation" shows a number of complaints about separation). While theoretically possible i hit something that tore the sidewall and quickly deflated but I see that as very unlikely. or i guess possible that they were installed incorrectly and failed at 100mi? But i definitely wasn't aware of hitting anything and not sure I buy the installation issue running fine for 100mi but failing then...

TireRack customer service is awesome though. Full return / money back and I'm upgrading to the P4S. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Good to hear you, the car, and wheel (hopefully) are safe.

Tire Rack customer service and the warranty is awesome. I'm running the PS4S from them on my 360.

Performify likes this.
  18. Keith Darby

Keith Darby Karting

Nov 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Keith W. Darby
    Wow! I thought I had made a decision but maybe I should rethink my tire choice.
    Thanks for the input.

Performify likes this.
  19. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I have heard nothing good about the Firestone products unfortunately.
    RAM puts them on their new trucks and we have experienced serious wear issues as have many others. Do a search on that as well, crazy.

20. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    That’s sad. I remember back in the day when Firestone and Goodyear dominated racing.

E60 M5 likes this.
  21. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I have a relatively new set I am pulling off and replacing with something else, they are cheap so maybe for drifting, will not be going back to Firestone.

22. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thank goodness you are okay.

Folks - don't put Firestone's on a Ferrari. Get the Michelin's. Everyone that has them loves them and you would have to search long and hard to find many people that didn't.

Need4Spd and Performify like this.
  23. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The pictures of tread separation of the Firestone tire on Eric's F-car scares the heck out of me and brings back a bad memory.

Tread separation on Firestone tires is not something new for this company. In the late 1990s, Firestone had a tread separation problem on tires supplied to Ford Explorer's. I recall that there were a significant number of deaths associated with the tires supplied with these vehicles.

I was so shocked by the situation that I made up my mind to never buy a Firestone product.

Performify likes this.
  24. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I don't understand why people go cheap on tires? ...just asking for trouble.

honda corse and ferralc like this.
  25. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Scary...i have almost 1000 miles on my Indy 500 tires right now. Only had them for a couple of months. @Performify what was the date of manufacture on your tires?