Anyone hear of Francisco Mir? | FerrariChat

Anyone hear of Francisco Mir?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by yank05, Feb 7, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yank05

yank05 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    New England
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hi,

I am trying to find out a little history on the defunct Santa Monica dealership "Diagnosis and Service" (it was located on 3134 Santa Monica Blvd.). My car was originally sold there by a person named Francisco Mir. (I posted a similar thread in the Southern CA section). I Googled this name and came up with a little racing information from the seventies on Francisco Mir and the "Diagnosis and Service" race team. I am just wondering what happen to the dealership - did it change names, did it just close-up, etc? Who owned it? What is in its location now?

Would like to find out if any of their records were archived somewhere (turned over to FNA? - I'm checking that too).

Thank You,

Anthony

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Ferrari closed the Franchise. I had a friend there in the latter days and could tell many stories but should not do it in a public forum. Francisco was recently the service manager or possibly a service writer at a small Toyota dealership about 10 miles from here in Northern California.

I doubt Ferrari has many (any) records except those that a dealer is required to share during normal business.

3. huntingjack

huntingjack Rookie

Jul 22, 2006
    Rancho Santa Fe, Ca
    Full Name:
    Jack Queen
    I bought my brand new 1977 308 from Fransisco. He suppsedly had connections with the Old Man and had the general distributership for South America. He was a very charming fellow but I think he got a little over extended as as the 80's prices began to move.
    His shop was where the Ferrari team came for the Long Beach F-1 Race and prepared, in those days the teams didn't neccesarily come together on the same plane.

4. CarterHendricks

Sep 26, 2005
    I was with Mir around this time and it was an interesting place. Mir had some involvement at Ferrari, maybe with the Daytona comp program, maybe at LeMans, maybe assigned to Pozzi. Things were always slightly unclear. Cars, both standard cars and USA models, came to Mir's through Ferrari Argent, nominally a South American distributorship [Mir was from Argentina]. Steve Schlendering and I worked on a purple Boxer which had been sold to Japan. He had a closed door "race" shop on Olympic which was extremely well equipped, quiet, and clean. There was a dyno, a Bosch injection bench, a complete machine shop. I learned alot while there. The dealership, which was somehow separate from other Ferrari USA dealerships, was on Santa Monica, in a converted gas station. There are so many stories about Frank, later Francisco. He was a wizard with Weber carbs and fuel injection.

Mir's shop was the base for Ferrari during the Long Beach GP. We picked up the race cars at the airport, and I drove the Ferrari red Chevy box van back. The mechanics arrived early, and we had a wonderful long lunch before getting to work. Steve and I shared a FISA pass [thanks again Steve] and after the race helped round up the Fiats and get the F1 cars back to the airport.

--Carter

5. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Rookie

Sep 27, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom O'Brien
    Having worked for Frank on several occasions (1968 - 1980) here is what I think. Franky was the owner of Diagnosis and Service and had three Authorized Distributorship's: Ferrari, Magneti Marelli and Bosch. I believe the "Old Man" was Frank's Godfather and he lived in the Ferrari home while attending school in Italy. There was a large (3'x4') photo of the Old Man with his arms around the shoulders of two young teen boys: Dino and Frank. D and S was the most amazing shop I ever worked in. It was the first shop I ever saw with a distributor machine. Years later I had one in a shop I owned and managed. Prior to opening D and S Frank worked as a tech at the MBZ dealer in Santa Monica - W. I. Simonson. Bosch and Mercedes-Benz were the bread n butter in the 1960s and 1970s. But Frank had his finger in a Ferrari clothing line, Italian mosaic tiles and other imports.

Tom O'Brien

6. yank05

yank05 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    New England
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I just revisited this old thread! Thanks for the information Tom! I also came across a thread from 2010 that indicated Francisco had passed away.

My car was sold from D & S in 1976 and had Francisco's name/signature on the paperwork. If anyone has any photos of this dealership from the seventies, I would love to see them.

Thanks Again,

Anthony

7. PAT30

PAT30 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2007
    France
    Full Name:
    Patrick
  8. kane00

kane00 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Bought my 85 Lotus Esprit from him. The showroom on Wilshire was off the charts. First time I walked in, he had 2 288's 2 Countachs and a host of everything else. Also his restaurant Boh on Montana in Brentwood was amazing.

9. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    I haven’t seen this thread until now. It’s great to read the stories/history about guys in the Ferrari business. There were some pretty unique personalities and it just adds to the already “never a dull moment” history of the company.

308 milano and Jack-the-lad like this.
  10. sahauptman

sahauptman Rookie

Dec 29, 2011
    I also worked for Francisco in the late 1970's at the service garage. Because of his explosive temper he went through many employees.
    We were converting gray market vehicles to be sold in California and I was documenting the procedure for California Air Research Board. Getting into the Ferrari pits during the Long Beach GP was sure a plus.

19633500GT likes this.
  11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    his shop did warranty work on my daytona. small item as i remember.