Anyone have a new Giulia | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Anyone have a new Giulia

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by boxerman, Jan 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    johnei, niklas, spider_s and 5 others like this.
  2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Seems this car has a quite a following here, and we all love it.

pilotoCS likes this.
  3. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
  4. spider_s

spider_s Rookie

Jan 3, 2020
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    S Webb
    johnei and Boomhauer like this.
  5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    had the car on a lift at a freinds shop, who owns a large car service place. He was blown away by the mechanical quality of the car. Showed me all the cool cast bits. The hefty aluminum a arms, the great suspension bolts. Said the engine fittings and hoses were first class.
    His comment was alfa had put great pieces where unfortunately most people cant see and few will apreciate. In fact he was bummed he had bought a mercdes before seeing the alfa. Then he drove it and was even more impressed, douby so when he saw the interior as real leather. His only negative coment was that besides the front the rest of the exterior was generic, and of course the Alfa reliability question mark.

I have to say the underside of the car is art.

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Excellent

7. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    And don't forget their carbon fiber driveshaft!

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    True.

Even the xhaust sheilding is a treat.

9. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    These cars are tremendous bang for the buck. Get a good pre-owned one and it’s laughable how great of a value they are. The Quads have CF roof and hood, both done to a very high level. The exposed carbon on these cars is beautifully done as well. There are some quirky ergonomic items in the interior but, like a Ferrari, they add to the experience.

I tell people who ask about the car that it’s what an M3 would be if Ferrari built one, but more fun than the M3 BMW builds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greg328 and Makuono like this.
  10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Spot on.

greg328 likes this.
  11. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Looked on alfa configurator for a green qv with sunroof but alfa wont build it that way. Green is only for lusso model and they force the cf roof on all the qv models. Why do manufacturers do this? How hard would it be to make it the way I want? They definitely lose at least one sale.
    Btw, anyone know about drift mode and akrapovik exhaust for 2020? Saw youtube video with them but nothing on alfa website. Would be 2 great thigs to have

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I found a 2018 coming out of a probated estate, 8K miles, black/black...….$40K cash.

But the Car and Driver 40K miles long term test says it's a crappy car.
    So...…….

13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    A Quadrifoglio? If so, that is a hell of a deal.

The C&D thing is overblown. Sensors are under warranty. They abused the car.

greg328 likes this.
  14. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    The CF Roof is part of what distinguishes it from the less powerful models. Small manufacturer, have to keep options as simple as possible. As for the color not sure, again maybe just to keep the options simple, or perhaps the quad is built on a different line, but agree all colors should be available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LightGuy likes this.
  15. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    There is a new metallic green option coming in late 2020 for the QV - Verde Montreal. It's a new variation on a historic colour used on the Montreal model in the 70's. There are two other new historic metallic colours coming as well - Rosso 6C Villa d’Este and Ocra GT Junior. There will also be the option of coloured seatbelts in red or green.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Green is on the 2020 configurator but only for lusso. No new qv colors. I saw the green at la auto show and its a beauty

17. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    That would have been Verde Visconti (below) which was initially launched on the Stelvio then rolled out to the Giulia. It is a much darker shade of green in comparison to the forth coming Verde Montreal which will be a Quadrifoglio specific colour only, at least initially, according to the online launch presentation of the 2020 QV in Europe that Alfa held last week, link here- https://live.easymeeting.it/QuadrifoglioMY20/

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    yes i love the dark brg greeen best but the one above is interesting too. like a lambo color

19. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
  20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Over the years I have found most new cars haven not really lived up to my expectation. Then with use I've grown into them and kinda gotten it. The e46 was classic example. I liked it, but didnt understand how they were all the rage. Over the years I grew into the car more and more, understood its subtle charms and with better tires a more agressive alignment and remap it came into its own.

The BBI I loved from the first drive and it still feels great.

Now the Gulia, I liked it from the test drive. Now That i have some miles under my belt it just keeps growing on me. Its a true Italian car int hat it has its ways. It definitely likes and needs to be leant on. The harder you push the happier it is in a groove.
    That sharp steering makes it fun on backroads making the car weildy in a way that no other large or modern car is, the wheel itself feels good, so italian.. Im even enjoying the paddles, partialy because they're so tactile and the ears so big.

The Gulia hits many sweetspots if you're a driver and need a car. Maybe because it was devloped so fast corporate didnt have time to dilute it. Whatever the reason I cant think of any sedan thats a close steer or experience, and were unlikely to see its likes again once this generation is replaced.

21. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    @boxerman pretty much spot on, even though I've had mine for 4 years now, I am still amazed at how well the car does pretty much everything.
    since the pandemic started I actually have had more time in the car and racked up miles, and all the little nuances become evident, from the chassis balance, comfort, crispness of the steering and of course the 505 under the hood.
    the closest sports sedan that I have owned that comes close was my E34 M5, but dialed down significantly and my E39 M5...both of those cars had similar traits to the Giulia but not as dialed in. Maybe that was a function of the time those cars were developed?? This car is a keeper! My only concern really is the dealer network, hence the purchase of an extended warranty.

22. spider_s

spider_s Rookie

Jan 3, 2020
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    S Webb
    I've had my Ti for 2 1/2 years so far, car is still brilliant. I recently bought a GoPedal from Madness Autoworks, tried it for the first time yesterday, it really makes a difference to the throttle response. It's a cheap mod ($250) and is most definitely worthwhile. Pretty sure it's available for the QV as well. All it does is remap the drive by wire to make it more responsive, but it's definitely noticeable. Also, it has a valet feature which limits the power, so no joy rides for those you don't want to be able to.

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Agreed all around. The pandemic has allowed these cars to be driven as intended. The somewhat brittle ,low speed ride makes sense as soon as speeds rise you notice its really buttoned down. Alas not too many 80++ days left. Backroads are always there.

the BMW anology is interesting. I still have my e46m3 and so drive the two back to back some days. The BMW steering is so slow in comparison, maybe that works for 150 on the autobhan, there also far more backroad body lean. The alfa is more buttoned down, yet there's more high speed ride compliance. As you say maybe a function of the time the cars came out. Or its also the difference between wishbones(alfa) and struts.

I also like the way the Italians have abandoned the pretense of even trying to make eps mimic a hydraulic system let alone a non assisted system. Frankly no power steering system is the same as non powered. But with eps they went in a direction where eps can go, to ultra sharp steering, which adds its own dimension that more than compensates for the minimal feeback a hydraulic gives. The sharp response and turn in form the front end is a joy, and the lack of roll pulls it all together. Im even enjoying the brake by wire.

What tech has done is give these cars really sharp sensitive controlls, and thats a new dimension for a sedan, it gives the car an on its toes sharpness with a delicacy, yet its not too edgey. All makes for a very alive drive that other moderns are near totally devoid of, in a sense not dissimilar to a lotus, even if done with tech as opposed to lightweight.. Different to the heavy oiled feel of the Germans.

Dai Baracca likes this.
  24. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    any opinions on brake feel? I like it but media reviews complained about the brake by wire system

boxerman likes this.
  25. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    here's the rub, the media doesn't spend enough time in these cars, any cars for that matter, to come to long term ownership type conclusions.
    even cars that are "long term fleet" cars aren't driven for months at a time by the same writer...
    I had issues with the brakes when i first got the QV, but I certainly didn't say they were no good, broken, or incapable!! I had to get used to the pedal feel and how to modulate the brakes. that came with ownership time. These brakes stop exceptionally well, they provide good feedback ONCE you get used to a brake by wire system.

boxerman and 95spiderman like this.