E Jordan: Hami to Ferrari, Merc quitting | Page 3 | FerrariChat

E Jordan: Hami to Ferrari, Merc quitting

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, May 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Remove data centres. Removing the instructional radios would also be better for the sporting element, allowing the smartest drivers to flourish.
    Driver. Car. Pitboard. Pitstops.

375+ and Bas like this.
  2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    To the sport.

If you believe F1 is really in a good place and moving in the right direction, so be it. You probably believe it needs technology to be “relevant.” What other sport has this misplaced obsession with “relevance?”

Let’s just run the cars remotely like a giant Scalextric set. Who needs drivers when we have IT guys? Right?

SimCity3 and Bas like this.
  3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Exactly so!

Doing away with the immense amount of staff these teams have is needed. Quite literally buy championships these days....Yes it'll cost loads of jobs, but if the teams collapse altogether, it'll be many more jobs lost.

375+ likes this.
  4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Diluting the driver’s role in a World Championship diminishes the Championship itself, in my opinion. Once the red lights go out the race should be entirely in the hands of the drivers.

09Scuderia, fer312t, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  5. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    In a similar vein to Bernie Eccelstone, I don't think Hamilton at Ferrari would work.

I don't think he would get on with how Ferrari do things, compared to Mercedes, I don't think he would cope very well when Ferrari get things wrong, I don't think his ego (real or perceived) would fit in, and I think that whilst the team would respect him highly, they wouldn't love him in the way the seem to with Seb and Charles (and have previously with Schuey, Alonso [to a degree], Kimi, Massa etc., etc.) - In fact, if Leclerc were his team mate, I think some damaging jealousy could creep in!

A lot depends on how Seb, and in particular, Charles get on when F1 restarts.

If Charles proves to be "the real deal", and a genuine Championship contender, I can't see Ferrari wanting to upset him by taking on Hamilton.

If Charles falters for any reason, and Hamilton becomes available, then they may well take him on, but I'm not convinced it will be the dream situation that some seem to think it will be (in a similar way to how people thought Rossi to Ducati in MotoGP would be a dream - And it turned out to be a nightmare! )

Isobel, DF1, SimCity3 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I can’t see him wanting to go back to having a competitive teammate. Not a chance.

7. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

+1
    There's a good reason Ricciardo is still not in the other Merc seat

F2003-GA, Bas, stavura and 2 others like this.
  8. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Hamilton has one more contract season in him. Charles is still in the early phases of his driving career. Unless Ferrari don’t believe in CLC (which I can’t imagine is he case), they would do well not to create a difficult dynamic. It’s should lean more to Schu/Rosberg than Hami/Alonso.

Bas likes this.
  9. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

LH for all the press on his prima - donna-ness has fewer incidents than Vettel vs Webber etc. Vettel has MAJOR anger management issues to his deficit as a strategic and effective title closer since arriving at Ferrari. No driver is perfect, certainly not LH but in comparison I would welcome LH at Ferrari with Charles. Vettel is beyond his 'prime'. His mistakes are simply inexcusable with his title count. His petulance is over due to have been stopped given his level of experience. He has been a major factor is 2 titles being lost, and in the eyes of the press, he has had the larger role in losing them vs the team. I will not ever miss him. He should have been released after the last season. Period......................

HCEdwards, barkanddex and william like this.
  10. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Have you counted the incidents ?
    IIRC Hamilton had plenty of donks with Rosberg.
    I am also yet to see Vettel throw a hat in anger at his team mate :D

stavura, Bas and DF1 like this.
  11. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Nico's the one who threw said hat.

Adrian Thompson and tifosi12 like this.
  12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1 There was a whole lot of Rosberg/Elton crashes. Also many Elton/Massa crashes. Sure most crashes that Elton has had with teammates didn't result in race ending situations, but how many times has that happened for Vettel as well? I think they're even on that one, correct?

Agree. People are too quick to purely judge Elton on his last few years...it's easy when you're in the best car to appear the best. But a single moment when it goes wrong, even in the best car and definitely not a terminal fault...he's already massively frustrated and starts blaming the team. Lets forget what he was like when NOT in the best car, I'm sure the team wished they installed the mute switch. He whines incredibly on the radio, and sulks outside the car.

Ferrari is a never ending stream of disappiontment. Even when they do occasionally have the better car (by whichever margin), they tend to find a way to lose the race on hilarious strategy calls or Italian build quality. Does anyone really think Hamilton will suit that environment? Absolutely not. Mercedes is the most well run team in history, Ferrari is a toystore with a firesale and a 950 kids have been told to get whatever they want, but they have to make their decision in 90 seconds. Total chaos.

13. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Wow !!! Recognition at last ...

14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I never denied that?

15. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Who threw it first ?

E60 M5 likes this.
  16. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Vettel has had more incidents than Hamilton by far, that's why his career is ending with Ferrari. If anybody thinks Vettel's driving is on par with Hamilton, they are dreaming.

william likes this.
  17. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Let's just say there has been widespread condemnation on this forum of anyone praising Mercedes for being the best run F1 team ever.

18. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Of that there is no doubt.

Hamilton stepped onto a magic carpet, thanks to Lauda's power of persuasion.

stavura, Bas, DF1 and 1 other person like this.
  19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Right. He is just lucky. Pure luck brought him into the McLaren and pure luck brought him to Merc.

I have some land on the moon to sell you. Interested?

ktu likes this.
  20. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Yes we already know the great Lauda had great judgement and fought hard to get the best driver on the grid......old news

william likes this.
  21. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

No luck.

But Hamilton and Button were an even match at McLaren.

Hamilton fitted with Mercedes more urban marketing push for its street cars.

No luck for Button either

Bas likes this.
  22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The daisy chain is intact.

Igor Ound likes this.
  23. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    I am constantly baffled by the ongoing hatred for LCH on this forum. If he'd been in a red car for the last few seasons I'd put money on it that those people who constantly call him out on any and every real, or perceived, flaw would be shouting from the roof tops that he was actually a driver with character for a change.

I don't believe Mercedes will exit until the change in regs, so LCH is there at least though next year. By 2022 LCH will be 37, that's pretty ancient in F1 these days, while CLC will only be 24. That's a huge difference and biology dictates LCH will be past his physical prime, including reactions. Despite that, and what the haters say, he has certainly improved over the years as a driver. He rarely makes mistakes, and when he does they are a)rarely race ending and b) he owns up to them. Look how upstanding he was in Brazil last year after ruining Albon's race?

As far as road relevancy goes, there is no way there would be as much money for F1 if it had stayed with NA, non hybrid engines. It's not only OEM car manufacturers that need to show social responsibility in hoe they spend their $$'s. I think we'd lose a lot of big money sponsors along with the likes of Mercedes and Renault. And let's not forget one of the biggest opponents of reducing budgets has been Ferrari, so please don't go blaming Renault and Merceds for the death of F1 as a pure sport.

Someone up thread reckoned you could build an NA engine for $300K or something. I call BS on that. Indy car engines, which are currently 2.4L V6 Turbo's making something like 750hp cost over $1m a year to lease, and that's with heavy subsidies from Chevy and Honda. I've heard the true cost of those engines is nearer $2m a season, and that's amortized over approx 12-15 cars for each manufacturer doing less total miles and events than F1. LMP2 engines have fixed running costs of $1,400 per hour for a 50 hour life, but by F1 standards they are very very low tech. 4.2L making 'only' 600hp and only reving to only 9,000rpm and weigh a whopping 135kg (300lb's). Completely unacceptable for F1. Also that's a spec engine with no development, amortized over something like 40 or 50 cars globally. On top of that it's related to some of their other products for other series for more savings. One more thing on the engines. I loved the 3.0 and 3.5L engines, but I hated the little 2.4L V8's. They were fine for a couple of demo laps or something, but they were horribly unpleasant to listen to 22 cars for two hours live. Just horribly buzzy and painful. The older engines, even when they were turning 19k rpm were much more tolerable.

william, spider_s, ktu and 1 other person like this.
  24. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Lewis merely "tossed" the hat to Nico in the cool down room. Nico promptly "threw" it back in anger, etc.

Adrian Thompson and william like this.
  25. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1
    > > >
    +1

Hamilton was offered 5 million to stay on at Mclaren post 2012, which was a big reduction in salary...and all to do with his performances over the years against the much lower paid Button. Merc had an enormous sack of money, the best developed engine, by far the largest team (50% larger than the next largest), a car/team developed/led by Costa, Schumacher, Brawn and so on. Mercedes where to become the new factory team for, well, Mercedes, which is what Mclaren previously was. The moment they would get a car good enough to fight for wins it would be lights out for Mclaren and it was only a question of when, not if...A mercedes engineer is installed at teams and he has to ask the Mercedes overlords for permission if certain engine maps are used.

As you also say, Elton fits in well with the ''urban marketing'' that he's so famous for, and he is also one of the few drivers known inside the states (due to being around Scherzinger a lot at the time), a big consideration for Merc brass. He's obviously a good driver, which helps.

stavura, SimCity3 and 375+ like this.