How much does it cost to maintain your 599 GTB? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

How much does it cost to maintain your 599 GTB?

Discussion in '612/599' started by Rudy599, Jun 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FERR430dxb

FERR430dxb Rookie

May 10, 2016
    Sell your 599 , Buy a Nissan GTR. Problem solved.

2. Mor

Mor Karting

Oct 14, 2017
  3. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    You fool! The car is now worth $1000, will never drive properly again, and you will forever be haunted by the ghost of Enzo Ferrari himself!

(Good man. ;))

dhari and Kiwi599 like this.
  4. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Bravo! I love to see this. How many miles on your car?

5. Rudy599

Rudy599 Rookie

May 4, 2018
    Dubai - UAE
    Full Name:
    Roger
    It's awesome to see you can work on the car... well done and thanks for posting the pictures!

6. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

How did you know the oil cooler needed to be replaced?

7. Mor

Mor Karting

Oct 14, 2017
    #83 Mor, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    Look at the old one at the picture, a upper side of the picture. This darker part of the cooler is a place that oil was coming out. I had oil at engine cover. I’ve seen that when I was changing a rubber of stabiliser mount about 2 months ago.

The cooler was loosing about 1 litter of oil for 1100km. I know that cos I need to go by this car above distance 3 weeks ago - with leaking cooler. I don’t know why it starts to leak. No damage that I can see in cooler. Old aluminium I think and stress of vibrations from road and suspension.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą FerrariChat

8. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    How does replacing the left tail light bulb cost $1,500????

9. Kiwi599

Kiwi599 Rookie

Mar 6, 2019
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Bulb?? What is it, 1986? They have LED strips inside them, and the 599 Tail light is a completely sealed unit. One LED blows it puts a light on your dash and the only fix is a complete new unit.

10. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    A little mordida from Ferrari, we are all going to have to buy a parts car..

11. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    Seems like some enterprising soul could get it open and replace the LEDs, after all, they fix broken I Phones...

SonomaRik and Skidkid like this.
  12. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Exactly, I may only be missle science not rocket....what could one worry about if it went south? Open it up

13. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Lots of interesting comments on here. When I bought my Murci it was a low mileage car so when I started using it the power lift lines leaked, steering rack leaked, egear system had issues. Cost about 40K to rectify... fair enough seals get brittle and leak when not used, thus not lubricated. I get some Ferrari parts are made specifically for one model so by the power of spreading R&D and production costs over small batches... they will be pricey. I must admit after owning pretty much every German and Italian car, Italians do use junk fasteners. Every screw on the car rusts after 2 years, be it Lambo or Ferrari. Expecting premium priced components to be better quality is not unreasonable. I know all car companies mark up parts bought from their suppliers, (Lotus sells a $7 Toyota oil filter for $70) so yeah you will pay the Ferrari tax. One thing that can save lots of money is to cross reference part numbers and buy direct from the manufacturer ie.Bosch, Denso, etc. I do HATE the comment if you can't afford it.. money is money and wasting it is plain dumb. I think Roger has a fair complaint, it sucks when you buy a car and in your first year have to spend a fortune on it, first impressions are key. Honestly Roger I would've gone back on the dealer. My buddy had this issue with the Ferrari dealer on his 456 and he ended up getting a good portion back in court. If you got a PPI and were told everything is perfect and a very short period of time later they give you a grocery list of issues you may have a case. I know they are cars and thus mechanical, and things break day to day but still that many issues is suspect. Just my $0.02

14. Rudy599

Rudy599 Rookie

May 4, 2018
    Dubai - UAE
    Full Name:
    Roger
    Since i started this post, i had an oil leak (from gearbox), and two days ago a Manettino failure which is causing all sorts of problems and failures... Also the rear left sensor is not working. I have put the car up for sale in case anybody is interested...

Texas Forever likes this.
  15. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    #91 hwyman, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    Thats too bad Roger, sorry to hear. I felt the same way about my Murci but I found an amazing Lambo guy in Newport who went through the WHOLE car from front to rear. After he sorted it out its been amazing since. Is there a good independent somewhere around you? If you do decide to sell, I wouldn't give up on the brand. You obviously really wanted a Ferrari and you should get to enjoy your dream, you should try a manual 430. Way less complex engine and gearbox, but its up to you.

16. Rudy599

Rudy599 Rookie

May 4, 2018
    Dubai - UAE
    Full Name:
    Roger
    No I am done with the brand. I have had enough. This car is a piece of junk.

17. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Are you thinking about getting another sports car?

18. Rudy599

Rudy599 Rookie

May 4, 2018
    Dubai - UAE
    Full Name:
    Roger
    Not sure yet. But i need something reliable. Anyways it will take me months to get rid of the 599 (they are very hard to sell where i live) so i have time to think it over.

19. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    UAE cars are hard to sell in Europe too.
    Here in Germany, there are 1 or 2 handful of 599 on the market.
    Very low priced for the German market, but nobody wants them.
    Saw them for 70.000 - 90.000 €, 80.000 - 100.000 € for east Europe import cars, which are hard to sell too.

The heat, the sand and the meaning that the Dubai cars aren't handled well (street racing, worth serviced, ...) make them hard to sell in Europe.
    And this is something which you get out of the brain of the people very very hard.

Daniel

20. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Oh

In February there was a HGTE upgraded 599 GTB in Stuttgart at Retromotor for sale.
    98.000 €
    UAE car, then in London, about 60.000 Km.
    Nice spec, but history .....

Daniel

21. Rudy599

Rudy599 Rookie

May 4, 2018
    Dubai - UAE
    Full Name:
    Roger
    Very true.

But also a lot of them are parked in cooled garages most of the time over here, and they have stronger A/C and cooling systems. They never heat up even when stuck in traffic with close to 50 C temperature. So as with everywhere, it depends on the owner and how careful he/she is.

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No difference in AC and cooling systems that show in the parts catalogs. Most late Ferraris do not have overheating issues. US Southwest climate is similar to Gulf area and Ferraris are set up for those climates now. Not true decades ago, but it is now.

23. Rudy599

Rudy599 Rookie

May 4, 2018
    Dubai - UAE
    Full Name:
    Roger
    Air filters, A/Cs, and radiators are modified to suit the local weather (larger capacity, better a/c gas, filters changed more frequently). Dubai weather is about 5 degrees (Celsius) hotter than US Midwest in the summer...

24. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Not talking about the Midwest, but the US desert, like Phoenix.