How to improve the sound of my Pista | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How to improve the sound of my Pista

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 458-Italia, Mar 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    Bonsoir Alex je suis content que tu aies eu une allocation Pista ;) chez MM
    La solution: catalyseur 200 cellules et silencieux Inconel
    Juste un peu de patience pour que les pièces soient disponibles

2. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj

I did capristo catless downpipe + fi valvetronic + novitec tune.

Pretty happy with the sound. Very quiet from the inside, pretty loud on the outside. And the engine wails closer to redline.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Thecadster, F140C and 458-Italia like this.
  3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    This is great news to hear! Shame the sound is a problem for you but I would seriously check out what I said before re what the head tech advised me as he had just come back from doing training on the car at the Factory and was quite firm that if any changes were made to the system and valving it would affect/reduce performance amongst other things (warranty etc). I would therefore suggest that you ask your techs to see if the story is the same and if it is true then it means problems ahead for those wanting to change the system around. Let me know how you get on please.

458-Italia likes this.
  4. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    I’ll ask my techs and I’ll tell you.

Shadowfax likes this.
  5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Thanks. Will await your reply.
    So far all the advice and recommendations on exhaust products is based upon the 488gtb engine therefore invalid at this stage until proven otherwise. The head tech here has said 488 GTB engine will tolerate these aftermarket systems but definitely not Pista engine. I will await you advice from your tech and if any other Pista owners in other countries can check this out with their techs as well would help to confirm the facts. No point wasting time and money on anything that will remove performance and affect the health of the engine. I am hoping I am wrong on this one as I really like the idea of fitting the valve controller - have had great success so far on GTB and was looking to continue that experience having options.

6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Bump.

Any news back from your techs? TIA.

7. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Not sure about that, my gt2rs is a turbo and sounds great, different but great! Lot’s of crackles and pops.

8. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    I pm you ;)

Shadowfax likes this.
  9. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Any updates to improving the sound of the Pista?

10. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    Wait 500 km and it will sound better . Mine was like this ! I think the little improvements are noticeable.

11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Can improve it but can’t make it sound great. Nature of the beast.

12. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I don't hate it. It is different than anything else with for sure, but improvement will be fine.

leopoldo likes this.
  13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I think it's sort of the same situation a lot of people ran into when upgrading from the 355 to the 360. Nothing you do to the 360 will ever make it scream the way the 355 w/ a Tubi would. It's just a different motor. Same with the 458 vs 488/Pista. Nothing you do is going to get you back to the fantastic sound of the NA motor in the 458. Sure, you can try. Running straight pipes and a different exhaust will make the 488 sound better, but it will also be louder too.

At the end of the day, if you want great sounds from your Ferrari, buy a Ferrari which makes great sounds. I personally don't think the 488 or the Pista, F8, etc. have an exhaust note worth owning. They all sounds like worn out Hondas to me. I refuse to buy any of the newer Ferraris due to how bad it's gotten; I'd rather own a used 458 that sounds amazing than be the new kid on the block with the most recent Ferrari that sounds like a turd.

Ray

14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Have to agree here. Sold my Pista immediately. And am not going to order my 765LT for same reason. I had someone offer me a GT2 RS W package today, and similar problem for me, sound just isn’t there. Others will disagree and that is fine. To each their own.

15. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    There are trade-offs across the board. I had a 458, it sounded great, yes, but I far prefer the looks and styling of the Pista compared to the 458. The a Pista ticks all of the boxes for me but lacks in the sound department. Fine. I am just looking to improve it in some capacity, not looking for an NA scream. My 812 does that better than any 458 ever could.

I am impressed with Ferrari in how they can have the 812 and Pista be completely opposite cars, but both perform so spectacularly and in their own unique ways.

johnr265 likes this.
  16. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    It's funny, but true.

Speaking of the McLaren there... I've only heard two McLaren on the road first hand. I'm not sure which models they were, but I heard one about 2 years ago, while sitting at an intersection some years ago here in Monterey. I was getting ready to turn left to head down towards Laguna Seca and while I was waiting for the light to turn green, I heard this god awful buzzy exhaust sound. I looked up and it was a McLaren going past.

The only other time was down near southern CA. My girlfriend and I had parked to get some take out and I was waiting in the SUV for her to return (I was parked in a 10 minute loading zone, so I stayed in the car and she jumped out). So while I'm sitting there with all the windows down, I hear what sounds like a rice burner going up the road. I'm thinking to myself, "Why do these kids install these horrible exhausts on their Civics". So I look back in the rear view mirror to see where it's coming from and it's a black McLaren tearing up the road.

What??? Seriously?

You'd think with all the work that goes into building a McLaren, they would somehow figure out a way to make the exhaust system sound amazing.

Ray

17. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I like how the 812 sounds also.

Hey question for you, does the 812 have any means to change the exhaust note, like how the 458 did between sport mode and race mode? Like when you switch modes in an 812, does it have valves back there which alter the exhaust path? When I test drove the 812, I don't recall hearing much difference between the two modes. However, I only had limited time in the car, so perhaps it did and I just didn't realize it.

The best sounding 488 I've heard is this one by Tag Motorsports. I ended up driving behind it once, while driving home from town during car week some years ago. It sounded pretty nice.

After hearing it, I contacted Alex at Tag and he said it when I heard it, it had straight pipes and the Novitec exhaust on it. So that might be something to check into.

Ray

18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    That 488 is as good as it gets. I think you would be surprised how muted it is in teh cabin though. I have no first hand experience but a few other vids with mods leaves me to believe this.

19. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I'd be happy with 90% of that sound. Won't go full cat delete...I have been in contact with Tag and inquiring which direction to go with the Pista.

As far as the 812 is concerned, I haven't had a ton of seat time in it yet. I will get a lot more this week, but here are my initial reactions so far.

The 812 is a much more refined car than the 458 or Pista, obviously, and therefor there is a good bit of insulation and sound deadening. Too much for my taste. Maybe the TDF would be perfect in this respect, but I need more sound in the cabin. We installed the Capristo remote, and I'd say it's a marginal improvement at best. In the 458, it made a drastic change to the low end grunt. Worth every penny. So far in the 812, I wouldn't do it again. That isn't because it doesn't work or anything, just that the change in volume from the valves being open is not effective to me in the cabin. I am looking at exhaust ideas here as well. I'm not sure the inner workings of the exhaust in sport vs. race, but I think it follows the same concept, that in race the valves open sooner. When you jump on the throttle a bit more in the 812, everything changes. The actual mechanical engine sound is far superior to almost anything out there, and to me it is almost as if there are two engine modes compared to exhaust baffle modes. The shift speed in race is a blast. The sounds the car makes in race mode is what I wish sport did. Luckily it's all there at the twist of a knob.

RayJohns likes this.
  20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    The 812 I am looking at has Kline exhaust.
    I had valve controllers on all my 458's. In my experience, they only allowed for the valve to be open or closed, as you find in Race setting. No tone or pitch or any sort of changes. Just open or not (ie low rpm flap)

21. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I am looking at Kline and Novitec for both the 812 and Pista. Have you heard the 812 with a Kline?

22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Yes, only in a private video in a showroom, parked. So doesn’t tell me too much honestly.

23. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Here's what Felix from Kline said the 812 sounds like.

24. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Good video of MR JWW driving both (owning both I think) and the sound is better on F12 TDF. But Kline on 812 probably gets it close.

25. Tony Baunach

Tony Baunach Karting
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2007
    All around the world
    Anybody up for a few miles used Kline Inconel muffler with decat pipes?