Best Torque Wrench for Track Day? | FerrariChat

Best Torque Wrench for Track Day?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by 3POINT8, May 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Hi -

I'm looking at doing more track days this year and I'm putting together a kit to take with me. Right now all I have is a tire pressure gauge and a cooler for water. Anyhow, I thought I should add a Torque Wrench. I did some research and found this at Griots:

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/usag+torque+wrench.do?sortby=ourPicks

They are a bit spendy but I like how they give you a read out on pressure. Thoughts on which one I should get? Or is there a better product out there? Suggestions on what else to include in my kit? Thanks!

2. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    My old Craftsman torque wrench still works fine, but consider adding a quart of oil, some Water Wetter, and high-temp brake fluid (fresh container, as once opened it absorbs ambient moisture)- and of course, a roll of duct tape!
    You might also think about a small air compressor, extension cord, and a jump box. I'm sure I carry a lot of other stuff too, but I haven't inventoried lately.

3. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    awesome thanks!

4. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Camp chairs and an EZ-Up. What in the world would you need a torque wrench for?

ewright likes this.
  5. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    I’m a big fan of split beam type torque wrenches. Why? Well, for one, you don’t have to reset it each time after use. In your application, you could simply dial in the proper lug nut torque and pretty much leave it there. I’ve had good luck with this: http://www.torqwrench.com/tools/item.php?StockCode=C2FR100F

6. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    great thx

7. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
  8. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    great thx!

9. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    I always prefer a torque wrench with physical feedback. The audible ones have their place, but they can sometimes be hard to hear at the track around running race engines, especially in a garage. And I don't have any evidence to support this, but I never use a torque wrench to loosen anything, I use a regular four-way to save stress on the torque wrench.

10. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    good advice i'll get a regular ratchet as well