430 - Brake Caliper Painting/Color Change | FerrariChat

430 Brake Caliper Painting/Color Change

Discussion in '360/430' started by Extreme1, May 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Anyone know a good place in the SFV area of
    California that can change the color of my black calipers to yellow? They are on CCM's if that matters.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I’ve found a mobile painter to repaint my calipers. He was recommended by a local detail shop that does impeccable PPF and detailing of all exotic cars. I have an appointment next Tuesday for him to change the color from black to yellow.
    If anyone is interested I’ll post some before and after pics when my car is done, or you can PM me.
    The painter does work for South Bay Ferrari in CA, and was highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

JRE, Hypek9 and Sergio Tavares like this.
  3. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Interested to see results and price point...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    I’ve had this done in Vegas twice. End result was OEM finish w/proper stickers and clear coating. Cost was $950 for comparison.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  5. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I would have thought a mobile painter couldn’t do the calipers correctly. Aren’t they powder coated from the factory? That requires disassembly of the calipers, media blasting and then powder coating and baking before silk screening logo, clear and wet sanding smooth before reassembly.

That was the process when I did my OEM Brembo calipers back in the day on a boxster to get factory level finish.

SoftwareDrone and SAFE4NOW like this.
  6. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    The price I was quoted was $1150, and I'm fine with that. My buddy owns the detail shop just down the street from my house. He's going to put my car on his Quickjacks and have the painter come to his shop. He'll leave it on his jacks for two days, inside, to let the paint cure.

I've heard two different schools of thought regarding painting or powder coat. Obviously powdercoat requires removing all the calipers and taking them apart. Then trusting the powdercoater to not screw something up in the painting and baking process. Then a complete rebuild when putting back together.

The detail shop owner insures me that painting is the way to go. His guy removes each caliper, removes the pads, puts them on a small stand next to the car, uses a two part epoxy paint, applies several coats, applies the stickers, then several coats of clear. I saw several pictures of the guys previous jobs and the calipers look outstanding.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's basically what the G2 kit is. I did my Maserati Spyder a few years ago and you couldn't tell the difference between that and a powder coated set. The kit's are between $50-$100 (I plan to do mine in Ferrari Giallo at $110/kit). I was barely able to get all 4 calipers painted with one kit on the Spyder, would definitely recommend 2 kits for the much larger 360/430 calipers.

It's brush on, and the brush that comes with the kit is terrible. Recommend buying a small high quality brush. The first two coats look like absolute dog-****te! It's self-leveling, so by the 3rd and 4th coats it starts to look very nice.

JRE and Sergio Tavares like this.
  8. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    Baking applies heat to seals

9. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I believe when you powder coat, the calipers are disassembled and new seals are put in.

PKIM likes this.
  10. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Pictures! Before and after if possible. I want to do this too. Red to yellow for my Pozzi Blu car.

Ridgeback, mathewr and TestaRoss like this.
  11. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Awesome can I get his contact number please

12. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Impressions Auto Salon in Newhall, CA. (661) 254-7500, Brian is the owner and the guy you want to talk to.
    Tell him Mike with the 430 gave you his number.

veilstylez likes this.
  13. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This is how they look now. It will be next week before they are repainted in yellow.

14. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Is $950 turn key ( Paint and Labor ) if they are being removed from the car, does the painter have the means to bleed the brake system / activating the ABS pump, etc?
    $950.00 is a killer turn key price if so!

I'd hope with him painting your calipers next to your car, there is some protection from overspray.

Power coating or painting, just make sure they are using HIGH TEMPATURE paint , nothing like coming to a stop after a spirited drive, to have flaming paint dripping from each corner ... < wink >

It's happened, ask me how I know...

And I ask the same question of the detail shop owner, do they have the ability to properly flush the brake system after the paint work is completed?

Before and after photos are a must!

Thank you for sharing in advance of the process completion!

Steve

15. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Yellow will really change the appearance of your car!

S

16. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I asked that same question because I just flushed my brake fluid and didn’t want to have to do it again.
    He said the caliper brake line is not removed or loosened.
    Impressions has done a lot of work for me and several of my friends. He constantly has exotics in his shop for PPF and detailing. I’m not the least bit worried that he will get overspray on my paint.
    He did PPF on my Boxster and removed the badges and headlights so there was no edge. He’s very OCD.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  17. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    My guy does not remove the caliper or break open the system. He completely masks off the disk, removes the pads, stuffs the gap with paper and tapes it off, and masks/papers off the rest of the wheel well. He removes the paint with an air powered tool and repainted it via airbrush. Applies decals and clears over the caliper. It looks amazing and holds up to multiple track days. Takes about 10 hours from putting the car on stands to dropping it back to the ground.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  18. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    It looks like you gotten some good responses but note, repainting calipers is not unique to the 360/430 so I'd suggest you post the query to the appropriate California section or post in the Tech Forum here: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/forums/technical-q-a.4/

Create a Venn Diagram.
    Most Ferraris have calipers (Big Circle)
    All 360/430 have calipers (Medium Circle)
    California Ferrari owners who have knowledge of caliper paint shops in CA (Medium Circle)
    360/430 owners have knowledge of caliper paint shops in CA (Tiny Circle)

19. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Great idea to move it. I don’t know how. Can someone move it for me please?

20. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    thanks

21. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    The detailer is finishing up my calipers as we speak. They came out great. Pics to follow