Gorgeous L-Series Now On BaT! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Gorgeous L-Series Now On BaT!

Discussion in '206/246' started by 4CamGT, May 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, the goldfish bowl, plus a serious heat generator just behind one's seat, make for a veritable sauna, so having hot air blown in as well would have been a nightmare. Despite indulging liberally in both French and Italian food and wine at every opportunity, I lost a fair few pounds on that trip!:)

2. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    This has become a sport....-:) A few more details to fix if you want it super duper:

-Wrong rubber bellow between air filter and carburetor box. Should be a plastic hose.
    -Missing drain hose on oil filler housing.
    -Missing one fuel pump, should be dual setup.
    -Strange cut out visible in bottom of front spoiler
    -Active cooling water temp sensor should be located in the forward cylinder bank not the aft (Notice the odd red cable going below the carburetors)

Best regards Peter

3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I noticed that last item as well but cross referencing the Dino compendium its missing from Mathias car? page 133

Metal pipe from thermostat housing looks odd to me, E series housing perhaps

4. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    On the first picture you see the temp sensor in the aft bank. It's just a dummy and working as a plug. Also notice the drain/breather hose on the oil filler studs. On the second picture you can just see the temp sensor on the forward bank and the blue/black cable connected to this. The white cable is for the P-sensor.

Best, Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Whipcity76

Whipcity76 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2015
    Florida, USA
    Full Name:
    Hugh

6. Whipcity76

Whipcity76 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2015
    Florida, USA
    Full Name:
    Hugh

7. Whipcity76

Whipcity76 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2015
    Florida, USA
    Full Name:
    Hugh
    Geez Guys, am really fearful what might be wrong with my car. Not sure if I could put it under the microscope just yet.

8. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Hugh, The expertise here is global and open to share. We’ve got some real experts here like Matthias Bartz and Marcel Massini. Along with that, some great “hands on” “been there, done that” experts like so many of you. We’re all students at the end of the day. Some more advanced than others. For most of us, its a fun hobby. No judging here!

LARRYH, 375+ and pshoejberg like this.
  9. Pmo75

Pmo75 Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    I’m not sure whether this was discussed earlier, but the color isn’t what I imagine for marronne.
    This here seems like a cross between oro chiaro and marrone. i am interested in the car and while the points raised so far can be reasonably rectified, a color rectification is just a no go. Was the Marrone for Dino’s different?

10. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    This appears to be a very good car, a few more items..
    Replacement washer bag, wrong bumpers (late model), relay added likely for lights, few wrong fasteners on fusebox, replacement fuel filter color, handbrake levers at rear should be black, handbrake return spring missing at rear, gold on suspension mounts should be black, a bunch of clamps are wrong for early L (Cheney and Angst), someone said already the clock was replaced, the serial number etc. on the frame under the engine lid should have been painted over, metal tire stem/caps.
    The interior is very nice, modern seat belts and I would have mounted the inertia reels down low beside the seat rather than beside the headrest, looks a bit odd.
    Nice suspension and brakes, right plating for an L on calipers etc.
    As Peter mentioned - only one fuel pump, it's the right type however all the 'T' and 90 degree fittings are needed to make 2 pumps work.
    Many items mentioned are standard replacement parts from the usual suppliers that supersede the originals and not quite right, but nothing is missing except the reverse lights.
    Most items (except the large hole under the front belly pan) can be very easily swapped with a weeks work and some $.
    The most expensive items will be the bumpers (the mounts are the same) and the steering wheel.

11. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The interior is very nice but to get the car back to original beige 430 the leather interior is wrong for the car or the classiche is all wrong!

12. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    This thread just confirms how important it is to do your homework before starting a restoration and letting the big money flow. I usually spend about the same amount of time in front of the computer for research and planning as I use in my garage for welding and wrenching. And even then, it is so difficult to take the right decision every time, buy the right parts and paint the correct stripe. I have boxes of "useless" spares laying around that I have bought and then found not to be correct for one or the other reason and I believe many others have the same experience. I would argue that fchat and (for Dino's) Matthias's Compendium is two of the greatest sources for information, maybe even greater than the factory.

Best, Peter

Whipcity76, 375+, dgt and 1 other person like this.
  13. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #38 isuk, May 9, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020
    It's always hard to say for certain from photo's but it looks like the colour is correct when compared to other examples in the same finish.

The front central radiator air intake openings cold weather cover panel is also missing on this car. I don't think anyone is reproducing those either so an original would need to be found or copied from if an owner wanted to re-instate this item.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Couldnt agree more Peter, i think we have all been guilty of this but the saving grace is that as car values have risen over the years then so has the availability of the good reproduced parts, many undertaken by fellow fchatters or influenced others like SF UK to make them. I have owned my 246 for over 20 years and when i started even the basic materials were unavailable. Correct items make it easier but is far easier to make basic mistakes.

In the early years i can only thank people like John Corbani and many many others who steered me in the right direction and moreover made me the anorak i am today, so apologies for wearing the coat too long :)

Whipcity76, Eltel246 and pshoejberg like this.
  15. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew

Superformance has the panel, it came in steel though.

16. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    SF made a panel i aluminium for me. Needed slight modification and some welding, but perfectly manageable.

best, Peter

17. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I saw a marrone Dino while in Italy searching for Stratos parts. I would not have said brown would be a good color on a Dino but after seeing one in the flesh my mind was changed. I have always liked the more sedate colors and marrone works well on the Dino.

18. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Good to know!

Whipcity76 likes this.
  19. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Now at $300K with 2 days to go.

20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I believe the car was advertised on the Hemmings website for $399,000 prior to BaT listing.

Whipcity76 likes this.
  21. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    It will be interesting to see where it goes. Putting it on BaT will give it good exposure and for an astute buyer, the ability to read the critiques and needs that’s been discussed on this forum.

22. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    Several of the "needs" discussed here are only needed if you want to go to concours with a 101 point car. As is, an owner should be proud to drive it on trips and to events - provided it drives and functions well.

23. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    or just plain anoraks who like things just so :)

LARRYH and Whipcity76 like this.
  24. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    I have known more than one of those. I always maintain a certain level of flaw in my cars so I'm not tempted to convert one to a trailer queen.

TonyL and Whipcity76 like this.
  25. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    And therein lies the problem of selling at auction, and especially under current circumstances. Even if the people who are bidding will actually have seen the car, they are unlikely to have been able to check it out mechanically. Surely anyone about to lay out $300K+ on something which admittedly looks great, but still has the potential to be lemon, is going to keep a significant contingency sum in hand.