Shifter housing | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Shifter housing

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by JLF, Apr 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi JLF,

Here is the number for one of the mechanics I work with, his name is Ted, he just swapped this out for me some months ago, so he should be able to answer your questions.

(650) 622-9661

Cheers

2. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Thanks for all of your help Paul I appreciate it!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

paulchua likes this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Jerry, if you need that extra housing, I'll give it to you free - just cover shipping.

Best wishes

4. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    paulchua likes this.
  5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    aha, let me guess, you detached it from the other side, that allowed you to pull out?

jgoodman likes this.
  6. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I had to unbolt the center console and lift it up to pull the housing out along with the cables.

7. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Do you have just the housing or is it the housing and gear shift mechanism ?
    I can’t really see what could cause the rattle except the gear shift lever sat slightly loose in between the two parts that hold it and it could vibrate around I suppose.
    I’m considering buying a new gear lever and see if it fits tighter.

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It's the whole housing. The only thing not included is the tip where the gear shifter screws in. If you need it, just PM and I'll send it to you free of charge, just cover shipping (probably around $20) - see photo of it above.
    Let me know.

9. TheFinePrint

TheFinePrint Rookie

Apr 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Hey Jerry just saw this thread - I had posted on your earlier one. I’m trying to do exactly what you did to replace a broken shift lever and got stuck right where you did - trying to lift the housing out from the top. How did you loosen the center console? I see two bolts inside, in front of the shift housing, but there’s still not much movement after removing those. There’s also carpet glued to the side of mine which I guess I will have to rip off...?
    I’m tempted to leave it in place and just weld the shift lever back together...

10. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    There are (I believe from memory) 6 to 8 nuts that run from the back of the center console to the front, in pairs, one on each side. Remove all top panels then remove the nuts and it lifts right up. Just take note when you remove the nuts.... there are metal spacers under some of them so jot down how many.
    The carpet on mine was glued to the sides of the console and comes out with the console it wasn’t glued to the floor. I never got the whole console out but after lifting it up at the rear enough, the gear shift housing would come right out.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. TheFinePrint

TheFinePrint Rookie

Apr 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Thanks so much for the help. I got it eventually. There were also two metal brackets on either side of the console in the back that were hooked under the lip under the rear seats that had to come off. I also took the rear seats off to give me more room to lift it. Got the housing out without having to remove the shift cables from the transmission. We’ll see if I can get it back in once I get a new shift lever...

12. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    You may want to take this opportunity to remove the cables and lubricate them really well with some spray lubricant. Unless that’s been done recently. Made a HUGE difference on mine.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. TheFinePrint

TheFinePrint Rookie

Apr 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Cool thanks for that idea. Take the clevis off one end and slide it out of the sheath? Teflon spray lube?

14. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Yea I used some kind of super Teflon lube. No need to remove the ends just spray the lube into it like in this video starting around 9:20 ish.