what does a classiche certified mean? | FerrariChat

what does a classiche certified mean?

Discussion in '308/328' started by forzaforzaforza, May 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. forzaforzaforza

May 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    what does it mean when a car is classiche certified? Does that mean it’s original matching numbers with no modification? The car is 100% as it left the factory?

I’ve seen a few cars that are classiche certified but has an aftermarket radio and the seats have been retrimmed in a different color to original.

what is allowed to deviate from the factory originality but still be deemed classiche certified? And what is the usual cost of getting such a certification?

2. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    It means different things to different people (like religion.) Only the price is non-negotiable.

Texas Forever and TTR like this.
  3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Think of classiche as handing over your wallet and asking them to help themselves. The more people that refuse to undertake a worthless POS as this the better. It was dreamt up to extract money from you.

There are countless examples (one currently in the 206/246 forum) whereby the certificate is next to useless but can lead a buyer into a false sense of security.

4. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    +308
    Ferrari has a long history of treating its customers with what is bordering on contempt. This is a way of extracting filthy lucre from people who are not new car buyers. Be it Classiche or climate change, just follow the money to get to the bottom of it.

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It is a fantastic way to take a old racer or street car from, say the 50's 60's and restore it to the way it originally left the factory and learn the history at the same time, if you are so inclined.

I have absolutely no earthly idea the point on a "modern" un-restored street car. I have not been impressed with the stories I have read and heard about the level of knowledge dealing with even a simple 1981 308 GTSi at a dealer. There are about 10 around here that are far and away more help with answering those questions.

It exists because there is a market for it.

My classiche stamp is the VIN plate by the drivers door.

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Are people getting a new Ferrari straight from the showroom and getting a classiche as well?

If the are (is it possible?) - WTF???

7. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    my 308 came with the certification.
    To merits just a piece of paper that tells me what the original paint and such was.

Again its just a piece of paper tom me.
    It adds no value and I put no value into it.

8. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Out of curiosity a couple of years ago I enquired whether my 1978 euro GT4 would qualify for Classiche.

Modern larger radiator fans fitted - no problem.
    Superformance (not original Ferrari) 16 inch 5 spoke rims replacing the original 14 inch Cromadoras - no problem.
    Plain black carpet in the boot (trunk) not the original patterned carpet though I have since obtained replica originals from dinoparts.de - no problem.
    Headlights wired direct from the battery switched through relays - no problem.
    Replacement aftermarket fuse holder - no problem.
    Interior retrimmed in full crema leather replacing the original part leather tan interior - no problem.
    Non original MOMO steering wheel (though I do have the original) - no problem.
    Aftermarket non factory exhaust - would fail Classiche on this point.

Go figure.

I had no intention of paying for it anyway, was just interested to find out.

Ferraridoc likes this.
  9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    How in the hell?

Saabguy likes this.
  10. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The thread in the dino 206/246 section clearly shows just how useless the Classiche certificate is, the documents show the interior as original and beige 430, which is Skai vinyl. The sales literature says its been re-trimmed in leather. Doh

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    How do you fail a classiche and not get your red book?

12. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Paying your Ferrari dealer to install a factory exhaust is the cheapest way to allow you write ANOTHER check to Ferrari for a piece of paper that says it's not a Fiero with a body kit (as if you weren't sure). They had to ding something easy, but expensive enough, to make you feel it was a significant part.
    The most important part of this is: "Will the bigger check clear?"

Texas Forever likes this.
  13. crixer

crixer Rookie

Mar 27, 2010
    Does Ferrari care about the older cars? I am new to the Fcar world. The numbers of the cars are lower so I am guessing there isn't as much money to be made on keeping parts available. For instance, I checked parts houses and couldn't find tail light rubber seals.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that doesn't sound like Classiche Certified?

my 328 was done. it is extensive takes several weeks at the dealer, then many followup pictures and verifications with Italy. Costs thousands of dollars and result you get a nice book set for your car. Classiche is cool, but it isn't necessarily worth the cost, headache, doesn't add much value, and certification is just for that moment in time (not perpetual).

Texas Forever and SAFE4NOW like this.
  15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    70-90's cars kind of no man's land. they don't care that much. now the older more valuable cars yes, they are motivated as more money to be made restorations, Classiche, and events.

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It verifies the stamped IDs of any hard parts....so engine, transmission, frame...

But, where it breaks down with the 308 series is they are not "matching numbers" in the sense of a Dayona, where the engine matches the frame stamping.
    By our cars engines were received in larger quantities, by build number, frames numbered in sequence were coming down the line by VIN (and it's been known some PASSED each other in the Factory!) and gearboxes the same.

So, there's not much "value added" to be told your car which you know is still original in components, to be confirmed as "in the known range" of possible components.

Of my three cars one had an engine blown at less than 6K miles, I'm sure replaced with an engine air freighted to Canada...so were I betting man, it's still "in range" of the 1977 motors....who knows.

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    In theory you could pull a 1977 gearbox from salvage, or another engine, and mate it to a 1977 frame VIN, and still pass!

I really challenge the record keeping at the Factory at this point.
    Production was up and there were other fish to fry!!

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    As I understand it any color change to interior or exterior is accepted as long as it is a "period correct selection"....

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't know, but are you sure? Seems they would have a build number on gearbox that would match your VIN on the build sheet. no unique numbering on the gearbox?

20. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    IMO, "Classiche" AKA "Trail rated" ;)

mwr4440 and Texas Forever like this.
  21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    "Ferrari now expects you to go once a year to a Classiche authorised Ferrari dealership and have the car checked over to be sure that all the original parts that qualified it for certification are still on the car."

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/145450074/

22. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Not new.

If Ferrari doe$n't care if you change up your car differently than how it left the factory to pa$$ it, they $houldn't care if $omeone change$ it up AFTER they pa$$ it.

Right?

23. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I used to make a annual lump sum donation to what i considered a worthwhile cause, after a few years had passed i started to get repetitive phone calls basically begging for more money. When the frequency got to monthly conversations I pulled the plug and told them to FO.

Greed killed off my involvement in the charity and greed kills off most things.

Texas Forever, Saabguy and thorn like this.
  24. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Of course gearboxes are numbered and stamped, that number is fairly easy to see on 328s: put your car on a lift, and look at the rearmost corner of the gearbox, passenger side (on LHD cars...); this is the gear box of my '89 GTS, #80515, you can see the stamping at the top of the pic, just in front of the sheet metal shielding the exhaust: "3710F106MB"; 3710 is the gearbox serial number, "F106MB" meaning "euro gearbox and gear ratios"; US cars are F108 if my memory, etc...

Rgds
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    cool.

I know when I had the 1970 Boss 302 there were a few driveline parts that didn't have a unique number, it just either fit the time range or not. So "numbers matching" would only be if it was in the appropriate range as Tex said.