Ferrari Owner Personalities... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Owner Personalities...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by joeyfrost, May 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    #26 AlfistaPortoghese, May 10, 2020
    Last edited: May 10, 2020
    I humbly believe a manual 360 Modena would be a very interesting entry into the Ferrari world: the performance and sound are there, it’s a DIY-friendly, not overly complicated car and not only you won’t break the bank, but being a manual you’ll have a car that will be in demand should you one day feel the need to move on and sell.

Anyway, as I hope the feedback the OP got in this thread will prove, the Ferrari community on the whole has very different values than the ones the OP unfortunately came across.

There’s good and bad everywhere, but this is why I try to be friendly and cordial whenever someone approaches me in the same fashion. As owners, we’re all ambassadors of the brand in practice. We’re the visible, accessible face of the brand to the non-owner or passer-by. Arrogant morons off their meds end up scaring a future owner, for nothing.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Robb and joeyfrost like this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    360 stick wld be an amazing first ferrari for sure! And likely to hold value or appreciate over the long term.

Robb, joeyfrost and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  3. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    Hmmm 360 manual.... i like. Lol

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  4. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Joey-
    I've owned Ferraris for over 35 years now, and find that owners run the gamut- some are complete jerks, while others are great, so don't be too discouraged! While some are pretentious twits (who know a lot less about cars than they think they do), I've made several close long-term friends over the years who are great men and women.
    I'm guessing that the guy you encountered took you for a "dreamer"- a young kid who had no realistic chance of ever owning a Ferrari, I hope you prove him very wrong, very soon!

Ira

5. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    i love that car, so pretty ..... in fact because of your car Robb, i want one also.

ttforcefed, Robb and Nospinzone like this.
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Sorry to hear about your experience. What you'll find is there are jerks of every make and model. For me, at least, the folks I've run into have been incredibly friendly and gracious. Lots of folks work (or don't) on their cars, just check out the forums, tons of useful information. Welcome and look forward to hearing about your journey.

Best to you.

joeyfrost and Nospinzone like this.
  7. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You ran into a jerk, or a guy having a bad day who (wrongly) directed his grief in your direction. Maybe he's selling it because he'd getting divorced, or his business is tanking, and he's bitter about the idea of a young guy getting what he is in the process of losing. Who knows? Not your problem though. Water off a ducks back. Just be happy you're not that guy!

The good news is that most Ferrari owners are nice people. There are some that buy these cars for what I see as the wrong reasons - display of wealth primarily, or masculinity "compensation" complex ...that really does seem to be a thing with some guys! But most owners are great and always willing to talk about their cars. Not everyone is cut from the same cloth but by and large we all agree that Ferrari's are romantic and exciting cars to drive.

Best of luck with your hunt. Of the cars you mentioned I'd personally lean toward a 360 based entirely on looks, but that's just me.

Dane, paulchua and joeyfrost like this.
  8. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    #33 joeyfrost, May 10, 2020
    Last edited: May 10, 2020
    Im starting to see everyone here seems great and it was just an isolated incident which happened to be my first F owner encounter. I cant wait to get one soon. I wish both my parents could see it but they both passed away in 2016. Hopefully they see from above.. thanks everyone

9. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Go for it, Joey. Buy one. Life’s too short to go through without a Ferrari. Any Ferrari. When you do, wherever they may be, I’m sure they’ll be proud of you and smiling back at you from above.

All experiences in life end up teaching us. Some by example, inspiring us. Others by contrast, like the one you’ve experienced. Move on and once you buy your Ferrari, be the exact opposite of that guy you came across. When you’re finally an owner, treat others the way you wished to have been treated by that jerk.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

10. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    Well said Nuno. I’m still hunting but I will definitely post up the purchase here most likely. i really appreciate everyone showing me that guy isnt a common thing amongst this group.. thank you all again

11. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Some people we learn NOT to be like, others we aspire to become. When you have yours, whenever that happens, be the person that you wish/think that guys should have been.
    BTW the Golf R is a really cool car! Different that the "world class" RWD sports cars, but I think really cool. I had a Mini Cooper S a while back and I *should* have gotten an R or GTI.

12. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Sorry about that episode. Dude’s a total *****. Not much else can be said about that. My experience has been that nearly all Ferrari owners are kind and gracious to non-owners. Indeed, amongst all the car guys, I like the Ferrari owners the best. At risk of offending, they tend to be a little older, a little more established, a little more confident, a little less flashy, a little more financially secure (based on talking to all my dealer friends), and have a little less false bravado, than the other owners. Also, hands down, this is the best forum. It’s not even close, although the FordGTForum has great people too, it’s just not nearly as active. As always, YMMV.

up4speed likes this.
  13. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    I just got my first Ferrari a week ago. F430 spider. I've met plenty of guys like you've described, and it's always disappointing.

The F-Chat member i purchased from ("whatheheck") was about as far from this attitude as possible. He has a very humble yet enthusiastic approach to ownership, which made our transaction so perfect for a dream fulfilled. It's something I hope to do as well.
    As a matter of fact, I dealt with several on this forum who were great, and, one guy in Las Vegas who was a total ********* for the first several contracts, and then he thawed abit. But from that initial contract, I knew I couldn't buy from him, and think of him every time I looked at my car.

There are all types of personalities. I'm active on the Porsche boxster 986forum because I have a little track toy. There are guys there who think their cars are collectibles (they're an $8k car, if you find a nice one) and love to be snobbish and pretentious.
    There are guys who think that anything but an American musclecar is stupid, and treat us with disdain.

I think you'll do fine if you keep your current attitude. ;-) don't support idiots who treat others badly.

FWIW, I plan to do my own work as well, because I enjoy it. Though there may be some things I'll send to the dealer, I'm a guy who yanks motors out of cars on a weekday evening and throws 'em back in on the weekend. ;-) (I'm sure I'll take more time with the Ferrari, haha)

And also FWIW: I had a modified Golf R want to play on the freeway the other day: impressive! Took me by surprise! Not faster than the 430 by any means, but I was very impressed!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dane, Tamahal and joeyfrost like this.
  14. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Yeah, sounds like that "engineer" fellow couldn't fix a salad. As you will find, many folks on this forum are people who work on these cars themselves as I do. Half the fun of owning these cars is working on them. Can be misery at times too. :)

15. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    Lol for sure i really cant wait to tinker on one. With an aviation background, the exotics and race inspired cars/bikes seem to be in close relationship to aircraft. Im very happy to see all the help and input I received thus far. Its greatly appreciated. I am using my fiancé’s input too and shes likes the 430 while im eyeing the 355 lol

16. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Meh. I don't know about all these other guys, but -I- am an ******* for certain ;)

Julia and jag-oo-r like this.
  17. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Fwiw:
    My wife didn't like the 355. She said it was "cramped and uncomfortable". But she loves the 430.

Tamahal and joeyfrost like this.
  18. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    Interesting good to know maybe she’ll have to come with me to check them out

19. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    My wife loves the 360 and the carbon fiber sport seats... which I would have never guessed.

So that just means we grab those keys when we want to hit the road together.

Robb

joeyfrost likes this.
  20. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Joey:

I have loved Ferrari since I was a little kid and have driven, owned, raced and worked on them for 30 years. I was a founding member of the Desert Region of the FCA and the 1st Regional Director and in my experience you found the typical Ferrari owner. I spent the better part of 30 years making excuses for these jerks. "They are just eccentric". "You just have to get to know them". Nah, they are generally not worth your time. There is a spattering of good guys, but it is not the norm.

As for the cars... still love them. I love Enzo's story. I have been to Maranello many times and have made lifelong friends there. I love sharing my passion with anyone who shares that passion. But the average owner? Forget about it. I came up with a saying about the FCA..... "You come for the cars, and leave because of the people".

If you are about the cars and enjoying, driving and working on them...... it will be a great experience. Just don't expect the average owner to know what a late apex or trail braking is. They will know who will give them the best valet spot, though! :)

davemqv, Lusso123 and joeyfrost like this.
  21. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Wow. ^^ Unfortunate characterization

22. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    And I suspect this would disgust (or at least seriously disappoint) Enzo.

I'll admit that the Porsche crowd sure seems to enjoy the track with more regularity, in my experience.

23. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If you plan to modify the car I recommend getting a 360. They are much easier to work on than the 355 and the workshop manual is written in the modern way with "step-by-step" instructions on how to do stuff.

24. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Oh you bought from Dan... hella cool dude...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

jag-oo-r likes this.
  25. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    My wife loved the 430!!! We had a blast in our, but she likes the 458 more ;)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat