Goodbye, ILLinois | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Goodbye, ILLinois

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by spike308, Apr 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    Well foot in the middle of the gravy...Here we are in NC...Doing well....

Red 27 likes this.
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    California is now proposing a tax on drinking water. The next 4 years will be fun to watch.

BTW, you may know this but for those that do not, more people move to Texas from Illinois than from California.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Yep, pretty much all of Inglewood will be in Texas by 2025. :) Enjoy your good fortune.

4. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I left IL for NC nearly 10 years ago.

Prop taxes on my home there (was in DuPage County, but right near the border, so Cook more than once tried to bill) was something like $7500 on a house valued right around $300k.

Home here is valued at $180K. Prop taxes are something around $600 or so.

State income tax keeps creeping up, but still not to the level of IL.

Local/state sales tax in my area is right around 7%.

What do I miss about Illinois? Some friends, some family. LOTS of world class restaurants and museums in and around Chicago. That's about it. OH - also miss having ANY kind of food place that delivers. Yeah - no kidding? Even the Pizza Hut where I live does NOT deliver.

Chelle and absostone like this.
  5. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    After Chicago, does Pizza Slut even count as pizza? ;) There are very few places anywhere that can hold a candle to our restaurants. That is the one area where we are spoiled.

absostone likes this.
  6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Interesting point. It seems some of the worst cities in America have great restaurants. SF, NYC, Chicago. I used to live near SF. I figured if I had to suffer through going there for some reason I would at least stop and have a decent meal. Still, not nearly enough reason to live in one of them.

7. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    We will probably leave after the kids are out of school and settled. If either of the kids stay here, we’ll probably keep our three flat. Otherwise....who knows. Warm and near a beach. A lot of the property tax issues depend on the school district. My taxes are fairly low, my tuition bills are another story. BTW, Austin has SOME good restaurants;) Is Threadgills still open?

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Closed in December.

The food here is good but not great. Hard to find better BBQ but there is a limit to that. We have great Indian food thanks to the tech industry and some good steak houses but it thins out after that. Outside of BBQ it is not a food destination where Chicago SF and NYC are. Central Texas has a lot going for it but at this point food isn't really one of them. Just a guess but I suspect Dallas and Houston have a wider, deeper restaurant scene.

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    I always loved the vegetables at Threadgills. A buddy of mine moved to South Lake from Chicago about five years ago and says the number of quality restaurants has been increasing. BBQ and Tex-Mex are still their strong suit, but at least now he can get good Thai and Mediterranean. He also told me there are so many Chicago transplants that some of the bars now have Malort.

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Oddly enough we have pretty good Thai but not Chinese. There are some bars, and sometimes pretty "Rustic" places with an impressive selection of liquor.

11. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    My cousin’s husband taught at UT in the 90s, and I always enjoyed the bar/music scene. The Malort is a Chicago joke. We pass it off on unsuspecting tourists. There’s a video somewhere of the founder’s grandson trying to take a shot for a commercial and hurling. The only thing in Chicago that will make you feel worse than Malort, are our politicians.

12. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    One of the few things I REALLY miss!

Funny... Austin is considered a "foodie" down. There are only so many ways to use fried chicken....
    A serious lack of true ethnic food!
    Brian... try Taste of Ethiopia in Pflugerville. Go for lunch... the buffet is amazing! I eat there at least once a month!

13. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hey Mike miss your life yet? Well it finally went to a better place. Sold it another friend and picked up a newer one. One that more adjustable for a slanted garage floor. Brian/Leslie invited me down to your neck of the woods. Hopefully when I retire next year I'll come down for F1. See you and miss you buddy. PS: I''' bring down some Italian beef, Chicago style pizza, and Eli Cheese Cake.

14. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Hey Rick!
    all good here!
    LMK if you make it to Austin!

Rifledriver likes this.
  15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Us too Rick. Get in touch if you come to town. F1 weekend is one time of the year we can get into one of the great BBQ places here. Mike and his whole bunch and Leslie and I wound up there same night last year.

16. Gerry328

Gerry328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2006
    Home
    Full Name:
    Gerry
    Ok Mike, you are looking more and more like a genius. While I questioned Austin (seemed like moving to Evanston), cannot argue with Texas.

tifosi12 likes this.
  17. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Hey Jerry!
    ahem.... I think you meant super genius!
    the city of Austin is a blue dot in a sea of red. We live outside the city.
    Definitely changing even in the 7 years we've been here.
    A lot of economic (or otherwise) refugees from places like ILL-annoy....
    however, lots of libs who now can't stand places like CA / NY / ILL, but want to salt the earth here, as they salted it there...
    TX will (I'm convinced) be one of the best places to live.... weather (hot is better than cold, IMO), lower taxes, etc.

18. Gerry328

Gerry328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2006
    Home
    Full Name:
    Gerry
    If it was not for family living nearby, we would join the exodus out of Illinois.

19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I like the hilly backland around Austin. Fredricksburg is one of my fav vaca spots.

spike308 likes this.
  20. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    Not to interrupt, but from Illinois now down here in NC near Charlotte. Not much here for Ferrari. Drove down for the 1st F1 race. Well. Knew more here...Please be thankful for what you have in the club. Like not much here...less money what else...Gee like Ferraris...

21. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Come on up to Wisconsin... growing like crazy...

22. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    ah.....
    in a few weeks it will be 7 years since we packed up the family and moved to Beverly.... um, Austin area!
    only regrets:
    not doing it sooner.
    no fresh Lou Malanti's (have to stick with frozen in the mail)
    Portillo's (can get by mail too!)
    Greek Town.
    the occasional really nice weather day on the lake.

alum04org and Texas Forever like this.