What 8 races will be run this year? | Page 9 | FerrariChat

What 8 races will be run this year?

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifosi12, Mar 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which 8 races will be held for the WDC?

Poll closed Apr 22, 2020.
  1. Montreal

25.0%
  2. Le Castellet

18.8%
  3. Spielberg

21.9%
  4. Silverstone

53.1%
  5. Budapest

15.6%
  6. Spa

62.5%
  7. Monza

46.9%
  8. Singapor

34.4%
  9. Sotschi

25.0%
  10. Suzuka

68.8%
  11. Austin

65.6%
  12. Mexico

46.9%
  13. Sao Paulo

56.3%
  14. Abu Dhabi

62.5%
  15. Melbourne

6.3%
  16. Bahrain

18.8%
  17. Vietnam

9.4%
  18. Zandvoort

37.5%
  19. Barcelonaa

12.5%
  20. Baku

9.4%
  21. Shanghai

18.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Wouldn't say that. Japan currently has very liberal restrictions. By fall they'll be back in normal life mode.

US is all about the individual states. I'm sure TX will open back up soon, whether liberal Austin does, remains to be seen. But it is still a long way out.

If I had to put $ 100 on the table (my litmus test) I'd put it down for Suzuka but not for Austin.

2. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    There will be more. I have zero doubt in that. I just hope we make it to 8.

3. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    I do as well.

I think if they do race,... 2 races per weekend are almost certain. I'd love to see a reverse grid for race 2...

tifosi12 likes this.
  4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Reversed grid?

This might turn into the best season ever! Kinda like Apollo 13 was the lost moon race mission yet in history's view it became one of the most iconic (after Apollo 11) missions ever flown. From zero to hero.

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You understand that reverse grid is not in the rules book as it stands, and could be protested.

The race may not count as a GP, unless the FIA manage to change the rules in time.

6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.planetf1.com/news/formula-1-2020-race-fees/

General manager of the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, Joan Fontsere, has said Liberty Media are willing to renegotiate race fees for tracks that hold behind-closed-doors Formula 1 racing.

‘Ghost’ races are becoming a viable option as part of a revised 2020 Formula 1 schedule as bosses try to salvage a season that has been ruined by the ongoing health crisis.

And one track boss has gone on record to say that Liberty are willing to help those circuits host at least some form of racing, the safest of which could be having TV-only events with empty grandstands.

“They [Formula 1] are conscious that this is an exceptional situation,” Fontsere said via Associated Press.

7. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    You do understand this years summer break is occurring now... that wasn't in the rules either.

DGPF and tifosi12 like this.
  8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the FIA changes a few rules on an emergency basis. Happens all around the globe in every aspect of life in order to deal with this so why should F1 not be flexible as well?

I'm much less concerned about the rules. I think at this point everybody in the sport has realized it is about saving teams from going under. Generating TV revenue to pay the salaries so that next year we still have a "full" grid.

Simon^2 likes this.
  9. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    For better or worse that is COMPLETELY wrong. In order for F1 to occur in Austin the federal government will have to open up non-essential travel from Europe,... including Italy. And that is not close...

Additionally, F1 is not a well known sport. There will be no support for it getting any sort of preferential treatment...

Regarding Japan,... They postponed the Olympics... for a full year.

I wouldn't be so confident.

DGPF likes this.
  10. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    I would be surprised if a whole host of rules ARE NOT changed (temporarily for the 2020 season).

2 races in a weekend? Is that a rule?

And, If they even think about running 2 races in a weekend,... I would allow spare cars.

Is P3 a rule,... 2 race weekends,... P3 probably goes.

Really the 2020 schedule was set,... that was essentially a "rule" for this year. That's in the bin!

The teams want to race,... and PUT ON A GOOD SHOW... because the need the money!

Arguing about the rules is not a top concern for at least 1/2 the grid at the moment.

11. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas is on path to begin reopening,
    Austin will follow with a bit more caution,
    with good luck, and social compliance, Texas will be open in time for F1, however:
    any uptick in the number of Covid19 cases will shut everything down again for at least 2 more months.

12. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    And that is wonderful. All the Texas based teams will be there.

Contrary to what a lot of Texans believe,... It is not its own country.

(That is not meant as demeaning. I am a U of Texas grad. I love Texas)

13. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Silverstone writes to British Grand Prix ticket holders today to say it is "unable to stage this year’s British Grand Prix in front of the fans at Silverstone". An announcement is due very shortly, with news that hopefully the race will at least be run minus the fans there, but at least something to watch on TV.

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ok, looks like the Austrian and British GP will be part of the 8.

Along with the "GP of Europe" and the GP of "Brexit"? Or is that "Coronexit"? :)

15. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Nobody could believe Titanic was sinking, especially Captain Smith.
    Despite urban myths he was not culpable as this revelatory book by Tim Maltin shows.
    Many of the great and good would only cross the Atlantic with Captain Smith as he was the best.
    I'm not sure what Carey is best at !?

Anyway, urban Titanic myths debunked here
    http://titanic-thetruth.com/

DGPF and lorenzobandini like this.
  16. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/149367/f1-in-discussion-with-uk-government-over-quarantine

Formula 1 is in discussions with the British government about the implications of a quarantine on those arriving from overseas, which is set to be imposed in the coming weeks.

Unlike many other countries, the UK has imposed no restrictions on arrivals since the start of the coronavirus crisis.

However, last week it emerged that a 14-day quarantine period, involving self-isolation at a specific address given on arrival, could be introduced in late May or early June.

In a speech to the nation on Sunday evening, prime minister Boris Johnson confirmed that a quarantine was coming "soon", although he gave no further details.

If it continues into July such a measure could in theory have an impact on F1's plans to restart the 2020 World Championship.

The intention is to run two races at the Red Bull Ring on 5 July and 12 July, followed by - if an agreement is confirmed with the venue - two further races at Silverstone.

The entire F1 circus would have to enter the country between the Austrian and British events, along with those involved with F2, F3 and the Porsche Supercup, all of which are part of the resumption plans.

An F1 spokesman told Autosport: "We will wait to see the details and are in discussion with government regarding our plans to restart racing safely."

F1's strategy for a resumption is based around strict COVID-19 testing of all personnel, and it's understood that the hope is that those able to present negative test results will be exempted by the UK authorities, thus allowing them to enter or re-enter the country without quarantine.

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It's starting to look better for Spielberg, Silverstone and Spa.

I said this before but I think it is worth repeating: With the reduced number of races and the pent up demand by the fans, the races that will take place will become very special. The small group that saved F1 from ruin and collapse.

18. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Let’s just hope that if they manage to pull this off,... some team doesn’t ruin it by bringing along some VIP.

And you just know local government officials are going to have to attend to ensure public safety...