812 Superfast - Last non Turbo, last non Hybrid V12? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

812 Superfast - Last non Turbo, last non Hybrid V12?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Ferrari 308 Vetro, Oct 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

The next V12 Ferrari is a ...?

1. The 812 Superfast is the last no Turbo, no Hyprid V12 Ferrari

34.6%
  2. Ferrari will present onother V12 no Turbo, no Hybrid V12 Generation

21.4%
  3. Next V12 Generation will be a Turbo Engine non Hybrid

0.5%
  4. Next Generation will be a V12 Hybrid Engine, non Turbo

40.7%
  5. Next Generation will be a V12 Turbo and Hybrid Engine

2.7%
  1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Given how fast the damned car is it might put me in my grave. :eek:

Thecadster likes this.
  2. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Please, I have to respond to your post and don't mean any disrespect as car ownership is all very personal but the supply/demand disconnect does not in any way shape or form change how special the 812SF is in its totality as one of the finest n/a V12 GT's ever produced and I can personally attest to its exclusivity each and every time I'm pulling out of my garage or even looking at it each time I take the garbage containers out. And, the experience of owning this spectacular machine has no bearing, again to me, if there were 5,000 812SF's or 50. What did Ferrari produce last year, a total of 10,000 cars? I think that's pretty "exclusive" - through my lens, anyway. I see very few, if any ANY Ferrari's, let alone 812SF's on the roads in my pre-corona travels throughout the NE US. There may be 40 812's for sale somewhere but, other than car events/shows, etc I don't think I've ever seen 40 Ferrari's on the road in any given year, EVER! Maybe I don't get out enough...:)

I do understand how owning a limited production car is very important to one's "ownership experience" and the "exclusivity" that goes along with that. In fact, I'm probably in the minority who doesn't really care about that kinda stuff, frankly, and buy whatever car "sings" to me - of course, well within my toy budget. The current oversupply and devaluation means more and more people have an opportunity to own an 812SF (non GPF) and experience something emotionally mind-blowing at 7k revs!:D

stavura, REALZEUS, Napoli and 2 others like this.
  3. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Wow interesting. We’re they prospective specs then backed out or did the owner/manager spec it in anticipation to sell?

4. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    See that’s exactly what my tendency was to think. This post is spot on to me and puts it clearly to words. Unless I were concerned purely about resale matters I don’t think I would want the number to be artificially low, which to be honest the production is still relatively low out there in the world. I’ve actually never even seen an 812 on the road. EVER. The closest is an F12 and that’s like only one unless it’s at a ferrari dealer. So I agree with your point here that no matter how you cut it owning ANY of the cars the brand or other brands make outs you in an exclusive zone. As I said above these are not VS models or numbered. I also think stock unpurchased is not tied to one’s ability to appreciate or value their vehicle or how exclusive it is perceived.

KenU likes this.
  5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    First video is catastrophic and sounds like a cheap lawn mower. The second video is no sale. Not just muted but not special and no comparison to 812/F12. The last video feels like home. :)

JTSE30, mepassione and deltona like this.
  6. mepassione

mepassione Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    I couldn’t tell however I’b be surprised if that was ordered in anticipation to sell since that dealer already had a few other unsold 812 from delivery mileage to barely used in various colours and specs. Other F dealers have several car for sale as well. Finally the last 2 cars were delivered to the showroom despite the first ( and second) not selling. They even had another one in the showroom which is for sale with them ( among others) even before those 3 cars hit their showroom. I really doubt these were ordered in anticipation to sell in particular given SF aren’t selling at a discount from new currently.

7. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I’m afraid Ferrari may be experiencing the new normal with new car sales. Both the 812 and F8 are experiencing softer demand than the previous models based on reduced lead times to order and/or cars available in inventory. I also think this was beginning before the virus hit.
    With this new normal it will be more difficult to increase prices with both softened sales and secondary market depreciating values. Even the 812GTS is experiencing softened demand. I am sure Ferrari expected the first V12 convertible in decades to fly out the door.
    Add GPF and other government nanny controls and Ferrari has a real mess on their hands.

Roland1688, italiafan and Thecadster like this.
  8. mepassione

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    Absolutely. The point i was trying to make was that those cars ( 812SF pre gpf in particular) are phenomenal. There was no need oversupplying the market and turning away potential buyers of news cars. Ferrari could have done much better both in the short and long term if they had kept supply under better control rather than chasing short term gains. A lot of people into cars that i know cancelled their 812SF orders for fear of quick depreciation (before virus)and as you said the GTS clearly didnt get the success they were expecting. This is what’s happening when a large proportion if buyers are speculators buying to flip those cars as part of a game to access More premium models. That client base is now close to entirely gone. Lets see how F are going to deal with that and bring back confidence among buyers. My guess is criteria will loosen if anything i bet you can walk i to a dealer now and order a GTS. Those who lost money to get a pista seeing the same engine used on the F8 curious to see how many will roll the dice again. I’m a real enthusiast, love their cars to be fair and an owner, but i think things have also to be sensible and make sense in the long run. My view

deltona and Gianfranco341 like this.
  9. mepassione

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    Lots of people for instance ordered the 812SF for being the last na v12 and a great car. They also trusted Ferrari marketing who kept saying that the car was sold out for 5 years of production and that they would continue to supply less than what the market demands. Both statements clearly wrong even before covid19.

10. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    It’s already happening. I was turned down last year when I tried to order a GTS. A couple of weeks ago my dealer called and said Ferrari had changed requirements and I can now order one.

11. mepassione

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    Again a wrong message initially sent by F that the GTS would be somehow limited or more exclusive. It’s tough to be convinced that you are buying something exclusive when you told first “order a portofino and buy a 812 so you can maybe get the GTS” To then realise you can just walk in an order one and that the car is weak on pre orders.

Gianfranco341 likes this.
  12. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Yeah, I think Ferrari is going to have a credibility problem with that. Same was true of the Pista. They couldn't get enough people to take another car and eventually were willing to give an allocation without any special purchase in order to make their numbers.

13. mepassione

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    Yes the pista is at the end of the day not limited at all and produced in a large number
    To meet revenue targets i have a feeling they may try the same game with the 812VS and in the end make it more easily available and increase production. Time will tell. One thing for sure is that most people wont co tinue the buy this get that game so curious to see how they will maintain margin without damaging the brand and their credibility

14. mepassione

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    In fact i may have an answer to that: more models, increase volumes, reduce prices , more entry level cars (V6 turbo/ electric) departing from their traditional model and becoming more like porsche plus some expensive models which will be somehow limited.

15. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    I've never put much thought into buying a car. I buy what I like.....

That being said, a video (in Italian) on another thread suggested the 65* V12 was to be replaced with a 90* V12, IIRC no mention of forced induction.

FWIW now that I've pinned the valves open on my (non GPF) 812, I've got the perfect car.

I had the valves pinned open when I took delivery of my Vanquish S back in '05. Nothing like the low end growl of a NA V12 which crescendos into a heart pounding scream at speed. I don't care for the muted TT V12 sound in the DB11 nor the apparent muffled GPS on the newer 812s.

deltona and gliazzurri like this.
  16. mepassione

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    Agreed with you. I had prior to my 812 and F12 and an aston dbs back in 2013 i’m with you on the sound of the v12. Wrt that video i doubt the replacement of the 812 will be another na v12 and even if ir js it will have a gpf and like you said likely be more muted than the 812 pre gpf. As far as im concerned as it stands the 812 has pretty much what im looking for in a car and ill stick with it

gliazzurri likes this.
  17. mepassione

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    Curious to hear your 812 with valves open. I did that (fitted an exhaust valve switch) on my F12 though i didn’t feel this was needed on my 812

18. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    I always think back to when I went to trade in my SL 55 on a DB 9 and the salesperson asked if I wanted to to drive the Vanquish. Pressing that damn "Start" button cost me 100 grand. That low end "British" growl of that V12 is perfection to me and why I had them pin the valves open on delivery (IIRC up the Vanquish valves attenuated the exhaust note to 3,500 rpm).

I just prefer that low end growl. Not enough of it on the 812.

19. mepassione

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    Aston sound was good yes now i remember i also had the dealer fit an exhaust valve switch on that dbs back then sounded amazing

20. mepassione

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    The aston vanquish s from 2005 is to me the best car they made in the last decades and if i had to have another v12 next to the 812 that will be the one

21. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Me, too, Brother.

Very valid point.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ewright, manya81, Thecadster and 3 others like this.
  22. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Thecadster and Bundy like this.
  23. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Took a quick video at my mother in law's house, who lives at the end of my driveway. Just normal driving to 40 mph on the driveway for y'all to hear what it sounds like in town.

stavura, Avneet, Thecadster and 2 others like this.
  24. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Back in the day........my '05 S: jet black, obsidian black upper/iron ore lower, iron ore solid seats.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

25. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Didn’t that have a reputation for a terrible tranny?