Oil pressure at starting | FerrariChat

Oil pressure at starting

Discussion in '308/328' started by Sigmacars, May 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    when I start my 88/328 it takes 2-3 seconds before the oil pressure shows on the gage,is this normal?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Does the red light go off sooner?

Also, what oil filter are you using? After long disuse, regardless of oil filter brand, it can take a bit of time to repressurize the output side, but using the correct UFI or Baldwin (with an internal standpipe) will minimize the average time required to repressurize after start-up.

3. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Your car already has oil in it and everything is lubricated unless you haven't started the car in a year. When I do an oil change 5 seconds is not unusual .

4. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    I am not familiar with response time for the gauge but it seems to be slower or get stuck. I had to tap on the gauge for the needle to show the pressure.

The red light is very quick and I assume more accurately show "some" pressure when off, or no pressure when the lamp lights up red.

5. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    We've had this discussion in our local 3X8 group. Yes, it seems to take a bit longer than we'd like for the gauge to come up and the light to go off. Certainly for me I know it takes a few seconds to come up and right when I'm thinking, "hey it should really be up by now," then it comes right up. But it has to wait for me to have that brief moment of doubt first.

6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I've had engines where the owners manual states that it is normal for no reading on the gauge for as long as 20 seconds! :eek: It all depends on the configuration of the oiling system and where the sensor is located in relation to the pump. It will also depend on the oil viscosity.

My 328 gauge shows pressure on cold startup in approx 2 seconds (Mobil 0W40). The light goes off almost instantly when the engine starts. With an oil change 3-4 seconds to get a reading on the gauge. If it's been sitting in storage for 5-6 months - about the same as an oil change.

7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Not sure on 328 but Can you disconnect coils and crank a few times to get the pressure up to the top?

8. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Let's all take a moment to remember how oil pressure builds in an engine, and how full pressure is not created instantaneously with the turn of the key.

9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    What would be the benefit of doing that?

10. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    To enjoy the one hour bonding time with the car to pull the plugs/ground the ignition/crank the engine/replace the plugs/reconnect the ignition prior to each engine start? :)

11. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    To get oil up into the top of the engine and filter before a full start. I thought OP was talking about after an oil change.

12. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I thought the OP was talking about after an Oil change

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have to tap my oil pressure gauge too!!

But that's the other reason for firing off and taking it to 4000RPM.
    You want the cold oil moving.....

absostone likes this.
  14. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Actually that is true I knuckle tap mine too at start up

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Jus' sayin'...…;)

absostone likes this.
  16. Ferrarizm

Ferrarizm Rookie

Jul 5, 2015
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    Saam Noroozi
    Sure it is, only if it shows no pressure at all with the key on "on" position before cranking or even during cranking but then it goes to normal. (Not after 2-3 seconds thou). normal dry dump characteristic. in fact when I was cranking my 308 QV after the longest time. I did panic for a while as every one was warning me about the worst case scenarios (which is not a wrong approach though). so I had someone prep the pump. but then realized it was the way it had to be. So as almost no one told me that might be ok, I thought I'd better step up here.

17. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    I have a ‘kill switch’ single switch for fuel pump and ignition coils. Quick flip and crank a few Turns then quick flip and start. Just saying......