Ferrari Owner Personalities... | FerrariChat

Ferrari Owner Personalities...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by joeyfrost, May 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    Good afternoon everyone, I hope all is well and your families are safe.

I’m fairly new here, but wanted to ask some questions about personality in here.

First off,

I’m now 27, have a lot of experience in aviation maintenance, own some real estate, and provide custom automotive maintenance. (VW, Audi, Porsche, vintage motorcycles, Aprilia, Ducati, etc)

I daily drive a very discrete but heavily tuned VW Golf R as my sleeper commuter and own quite a few bikes.

The reason I mention this is because in the past few years I have been eyeing my first Ferrari. Not an audi, not a bmw, not a benz, not a mclaren or a lambo. A Ferrari.

From a maintenance point a view, I’ve always wanted one and appreciate the styling and engine design of Ferrari. I’m not saying any of the brands listed above are anything less, but when I set goals as a kid, I knew getting one was first on the list.

I attended the Cars and Caffe show in Paramus a few years ago and wanted to look at some 355s, 360s, and f430s up close to get an idea of size in person, against each other, and other vehicles. To my surprise, theyre not huge but fairly large in dimensions.

Luckily, I was able to spot an owner that had a for sale sign on his 360. It was blueish grey in color. I was excited to approach him and asked him if he could answer a few questions I had. I asked him of course how was the overall experience, maintenance, etc.

His responses made me really upset. The first answer was “kid, this is a Ferrari.” and “If your asking about maintenance, you probably can’t afford it.”

I mentioned to him that it had nothing to do with that but being that I take pride in working on all my vehicles (maintenance background) I was just curious about special tooling, expendable items costs, etc. (i asked because I was between the 3 different model Ferraris)

His final response was, “kid, I’m an engineer and I tried working on it and you can’t do it.”

I am not the kind of guy to type a long stupid story about a Ferrari owner during a pandemic, but I wanted to get a feel of the type of owners personalities out there. It was extremely upsetting to hear. Im sure most out there arent like this owner, but to be honest, I dont actually know that because I havent owned or been around other owners. Hope to hear some feedback, and if I was wrong to even ask the gentleman about those things. I’d like to know to ultimately consider if acquiring a Ferrari is right for me, or will I be surrounded by negativity.

Kind thanks,

Joey

Mikestradale likes this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    no, you just happened to find an ******* or a guy having a bad day. lots of guys who are capable work on their cars. some of my closest friends are ferrari people, generally a great group of peeps.

3. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    Really nice to hear that. I wasnt sure if I posted in the right section but I’m in the northeast and thought where that encounter took place and where I live, it made sense to post here.

4. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yep its a good crew...if you can do work yourself get a 355 or 360 and dont look back. vw golf R is cool. i have a worked 2017 fiat 500 abarth but golf R is top.

paulchua likes this.
  5. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    I really like the 355 too. Those fiats sound crazy lol

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    haha yeh they have a great burble.
    ill DM you my cell, if you are serious about looking for a 355 ill answer any questions. that being said, there isnt anything you cant find on this board.

joeyfrost likes this.
  7. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    I forgot to mention he asked what I drove, and after responding a Golf R he said to buy a BMW first prior to buying a Ferrari. Mind you, I’m standing there biting my tongue in front of my fiance.

Lusso123 and Texas Forever like this.
  8. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    There are as many personalities that own Ferraris as there are of any other make. Unfortunately, you chanced upon an ******* as your first contact. In over 30 years of going to FCA and other events since I was 15, I've certainly met a few of those, but most owners and people involved with the marque have been very willing to answer questions, chat about their car and their experience with it.

What's the logic in buying a BMW prior to buying a Ferrari?

Julia and joeyfrost like this.
  9. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    There are very capable people out there, more than able to service their own Ferraris and lend a hand to friends and fellow owners in need, both in person and online. I find them an invaluable source of knowledge and admiration, as I have two left hands.

Regarding maintenance costs, it depends. The “if you have to ask, you can’t afford it” is culturally valid on the whole, but truth be told I have friends who really couldn’t care less about what things cost (and honestly don’t know the price of things and couldn’t care less), and friends who may have the same wealth or more, but want to know where each dollar went and why.

At the end of the day, it has more to do with each owner’s personality than the cost of servicing the car per se.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

joeyfrost likes this.
  10. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    Thanks for the input, and I’m not sure really. I guess he assumed to start with the BMW thinking it was probably more exotic and faster than my R..? I guess to start with something like a BMW prior to jumping into a Ferrari..idk. Spoke to me like a child and I assume he thought I was one.

11. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No, you weren't wrong to ask those questions, there was nothing inappropriate about them. You just ran into one of very few pretentious Ferrari owners, it was a one in a million shot.

The questions to stay away from are 1) how much money do you make, 2) why did you order that odd color combination, and 3) why do you have Montana plates here in New Jersey! :D

Dane, Andynyc, Dogdish and 4 others like this.
  12. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    Lol i would never dare ask those questions!

13. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    All I can say is what an A$$Hat!
    He should not be allowed to own that Ferrari. Poor ambassador.
    Makes Ferrari owners look bad when most are awesome and I’ve met and made lifelong friends in the F community.
    You will meet some special people. Do it!

Sent from my 16M

Dane, VAF84, Thecadster and 3 others like this.
  14. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    All here seem to be a great bunch. Just wanted to make sure I wasnt going to encounter a very different crowd. I guess it was just a bad first impression and it does make the exotic community look terrible.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    It was probably noone1...(sorry, inside joke :))

Thecadster and plastique999 like this.
  16. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Sorry the first experience was sour. Just pick a car to buy and get started! The 360/430 is a safe bet for either, since the depreciation is going to be gentle.

IMO if you want paddles get the 430, there are plenty asking around $90-95k that will be the least maintenance, fastest and most modern of the three. But if you want a stick car under $100k go for the 360... 355 if you want an smaller more go-kart like feel. The 355 maintenance thing is overblown IMO, you need some savings to deal with it but my worst 'surprise' repair was redoing all the coolant hoses with premium silicone ones for ~$2800. If you're savvy mechanically (I'm not), having $5k aside should handle most emergencies.

I started with a high miles 355 spider and it was great intro for me and I put a lot more miles on it, but it took a while to sell as I was reluctant to do the major first. All in it was between $1.10-1.25/mile in total maintenance/repair and depreciation over 4 years.

I was looking at 430s for two years as an upgrade, I jumped to the 458 which really is so computerized and tech heavy it's not fair to compare to a 355. The 355 feels charming and almost 'vintage' in comparison.

VAF84, Dolcevita, Lusso123 and 2 others like this.
  17. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    Thank you yes I’m a bigger fan of the 355 size and feel. Out of the 3 which has a better platform to build on?

18. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Build on as in modify? Then 360/430. There are tons of 360s out there. 430 has much better F1 transmission. There is a better aftermarket for them than 355.

If you're doing body work than certainly those - the 360 was a revolution for Ferrari where they started getting pre-stamped panels and bodies from Alcoa, which was a big advance in fitment. 348/355 are still from the "hammer it until it fits" era of assembly. Which means that aftermarket panels are more difficult to source and fit properly on them than 360/430.

19. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Most Ferrari owners I know are humble and cool. My first Ferrari was a F430, great car and relatively solid. I have a independent mechanic I work with and he’s been great and maintenance has been relatively .... reasonable. I’ve owned many vehicles and the F430 was the most expensive to maintain, but my 430 had a couple of things that needed sorting, once done , it was solid . Definitely expect to spend 1-2k a year for general maintenance or service. I currently own a 458, now that’s a beast and it’s been very very solid. But I feel F430 is a good first Ferrari.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

20. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    Im mostly into modifying for performance gains and beefing up any weak points/components. Nothing aesthetically will be modified. Good to know though for sure

ryalex likes this.
  21. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    Thanks for the input f430s are on the list for sure.

22. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Part of the fun is working on our cars and learning the ropes from people who have more experience in those matters. We are all happy to help.

Plenty of cameraderie across the US and globe. Welcome to the party.

Robb

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tres55, 020147, jag-oo-r and 4 others like this.
  23. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Never say never, I think that the 430 mod that everyone should do is to change up to the scuderia nose/bumper. Huge improvement. I've never been a fan of the stock shark nose.

24. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    Ahh good point, for sure looks a lot better!

25. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    LOL.. BMW owner in Paramus. Of course. Just had to start there. BTW it gives you an idea why kind of engineer he was if he said that he tried working on it. A talentless one. That's why he wants to sell it...

Any Ferrari is going to be easy to work on coming from a German car. They're designed for rebuilding and access to components is simplified and more straightforward. Ever tried to get to anything back by the firewall and you have to cut your tools in half? Yeah that doesn't happen with my 360. Much easier to service. The only challenge comes with electrical engineering and ECU/systems integration from a performance standpoint IMHO. But some here are developing tools for it. FWIW for the engine out cars have a 4 post lift in the garage. Even the engine out is possible at home.

Some owners look to the "Ferrari" prestige and cost and exclusivity. Some look to the art and engineering. Some look to the history of the marque.

VAF84, EnzoItaly, Lusso123 and 4 others like this.