F1 2020 Delayed: News/updates / is there hope :) | Page 17 | FerrariChat

F1 2020 Delayed: News/updates / is there hope :)

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Mar 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Back in February I had the pleasure to ride the "Rise of the Resistance" at Disney's where you are confronted with two life size AT-ATs.

Seems by now this was in a galaxy far far away.

schumacherf2006 and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  2. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Amazing isn’t it? I miss it
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Oh, it was a blast. I had three cameras with me trying to get the best shots, which was difficult as it was dark and fast moving. While queuing the ride broke down twice, so it took forever to get on it (something like a two hours wait), but I'd do it again in a heart beat. Hopefully they can use this enforced downtime to get the glitches out for future riders.

schumacherf2006 likes this.
  4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Formula 1 chairman Chase Carey has admitted that the sport's owners are preparing for "the remote possibility of no racing in 2020".

He said they discussed with lenders how to handle the loss of income involved in not being able to run a season.

But he emphasised: "We are increasingly confident - although there are no guarantees - that we will have a 2020 championship season."

F1 released figures showing income fell by 84% in the first quarter of 2019.

Owner Liberty Media said F1's revenue in the first quarter of 2020 was $39m (£31.6m) compared to $246m (£199m) in the same period in 2019.

- https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/52568642

5. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
  6. DF1

william and Isobel like this.
  7. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Does this mean they have hit roadblocks with the proposed Austria GP?

Frankly, I don't see how they manage to get any approved...

I'm not even allowed on a beach by myself in South Florida.

william likes this.
  8. DF1

He is 'shrewd' and preparing the market for bad news.....if it should be arriving soon. I have seen nothing noting anything in Austria about this being approved. Many things can happen behind the scene's of course. The first real report was on 25 March - "Officials are confident that the double-header can happen safely and Ö3 said that “only a second wave of infection can prevent Formula 1 in Styria”, with the precautions in place".

9. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/149335/races-not-on-original-f1-calendar-a-possibility

Chase Carey has confirmed Formula 1 is considering adding venues that were not on the original 2020 calendar and admitted this year's schedule could run into next year.

The current season is on hold until at least July, after the coronavirus pandemic forced the postponement and cancellation of races from Australia through to the French Grand Prix.

Although Carey mentioned no names, Imola, Hockenheim and Portimao have all indicated that they are interested in holding behind closed doors events.

"We've been working tirelessly since Australia and we're actively engaged with our promoters in putting together a 2020 race calendar," Carey said in a call with Wall Street investors.

"We have two primary challenges - identifying locations where we can hold the race, and determining how we transport all necessary parties and their equipment to that location for a race.

"We're in discussion with all of our promoters, as well as some tracks that are not currently on our 2020 calendar, to make sure we explore all options.

"Our goal is to launch the season on the weekend of 4-5 July in Austria, and it's likely that we race the weekend of 11-12 July in Austria as well.

"We're in the advanced stages of putting together a schedule of additional European races through early September, including races during the traditional August break.

"We plan to race in Eurasia, Asia, the Americas, in September, October, November, before finishing in the Gulf in Bahrain and Abu Dhabi in December.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

"We hope to have a calendar with 15-18 races.

"We expect the early part of the calendar to be races without fans, but we hope to allow fans to attend in the latter part of the year."

Carey said that at the moment there are no plans to finish the current championship in 2021, but says it is still possible.

"We're obviously going to take a fairly long break through the holidays, you're not going to race in the holiday weeks.

"But it is an option available to us that we again have to work through with our promoters and an array of parties to get there.

"But it is something we've considered and talked about.

"I would say that our goal is to finish a couple of weeks later than our original date, but to finish in mid-December, ahead of the holidays."

Regarding next year's calendar, he remains confident that the schedule will be back to normal.

"Our goal is to have 2021 look like the 2021 we planned back in January.

"Ultimately, we have renewals to put in place, and we have some ongoing discussions with a couple of new races that we think would be a positive enhancement to the business for fans and shareholders."

10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It looks to me like Chase Carey is burying his head into the sand, with his PR rethoric.
    I cannot see the championship starting before Covid-19 is eradicated in most organising countries to allow free travel and unrestricted public attendance.
    To allow that, most governments will want a vaccine being created and tested; there is no sign of that yet.

Sunracer likes this.
  11. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    No, I don't think so. Some country's are allowing profesional sports to restart this month.

Cargo flights are still possible, organized private flights as well.

The races that do go through will be held without public attendance. It's the 2nd best option obviously be still better than no race. Besides most people watch the races from home anyway.

12. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think they will. We were there in February and they got well into the 100’s in boarding groups each day. I was lucky to land boarding 3 one day!

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    How long do you think F1 can survive without attending public ? Not very long, and certainly not a whole season.
    That revenue is a large part of the equation. That's what pays the fee to Liberty.
    Liberty can't go on for long getting no income from the circuits, but having to pay them instead.

Simon^2 likes this.
  14. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    This is likely at least part of the reason why Carey is saying they may go to tracks not on the original schedule (in addition to local gov't approval issues)... Tracks need money. Liberty doesn't have enough...

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That's exactly what I am saying. Liberty will soon run out of money paying both the tracks, and the teams.
    The gate revenue is essential to balance the books. Also, without public, the track advertisers will soon pull out!
    Running GPs without the public can only a very temporary solution, but you cannot have a 15-race championship arranged that way.

16. DF1

They can do this once. This year and survive I think. A full season with fans will be needed next year.

17. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I don't have the numbers but I think tickets are not so important in the short term, the big money is in the TV rights and advertising. Track promoters need the money of the tickets, but not all of them, some get funds from the ministry of tourism, the local government or whatever.

I bet that Liberty would prefer to lower the track's fees to not loose the TV money.

18. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Liberty doesn't need to just LOWER track fees... that need to eliminate them,... and then PAY the track rent in order to race.

Lets say the track fee is on average $25M... and then assume F1 will need to pay $5M to "rent" the track. Thats a $30M cost to Liberty per race. for a 15 race season... $450M.

TV money is almost certainly reduced...

There has to be money left t pay the teams...

The fans at the track are integral to the economics... because they are what allows the fee to be paid.

19. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Exactly right. In normal circumstances the circuit income comes from the fans attending. The circuit pays a fee to host the race. Circuit advertising and TV money goes straight to F1 and some of that then goes to the teams. I imagine TV money would be X amount per race so fewer races equals less income which is why they keep adding more and more races to the calendar. Plus the races they add tend to be countries that will pay silly money to have a race. But obviously if a circuit has no income from the fans the cost of hosting the race needs to be met by Liberty. That cost will be a bit less than it might have been in that you don't have to put up temporary grandstands etc. but will still be substantial.

william likes this.
  20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You got it !!!

Without fans at the track, there would be no gate income, but also no vendors license, no catering, no drink sales, no advertising, no hospitality revenue, nothing.
    Jan Lammers, who leads the Zandvoort revival, explained it well.
    The circuit would be completely starved of income, but still be facing the operational costs (rescue equipment, installations, medical support, heli, security, etc ...). Also, the track would have to be prepared, cleaned, the installations checked, some staff recruited and trained, etc ... just to satisfy FIA requirements.
    By all accounts, Liberty would have to pay Zandvoort $5M to have a GP without public there, and obviously Chase Casey objects to that !!!
    Maybe Red Bull would be more compliant at their venue in Austria ?
    I doubt if Silverstone would accept those terms...

Simon^2 likes this.
  21. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Track owners still can get money from sponsors and local authorities. If Liberty doesn't charge their outrageous fees, maybe it can be done without tickets. And even if Liberty has to pay something to the GP organizers, it would be better than not having GPs at all. They need something to put on TV.

One thing is unavoidable: the pie will be a lot smaller for all.

22. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Local authorities only pay to boost tourism! They hope (and at least claim) to fill hotels and restaurants and get tax revenue that is greater than the fee. With no spectators,... that number is $0.

The fact that the municipal coffers are all empty (and overdrawn) makes any contribution to F1 incomprehensible.

Local taxpayers will revolt if any moneys are paid to F1!

william likes this.
  23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Regarding sponsorship, I can only speak for some UK circuits, but some trackside advertisers will only pay in proportion of public attendance.
    No spectators, no paiment !

As for local authorities that pay money, that may be true in some countries, not not everywhere.
    Public funding for F1 is frowned upon in most European countries (hence no German GP, for example, or no French GP for many years).
    We will see if the Provence region will still be subsidising the French GP "revival" in years to come; the subject has become a political punch-ball.
    I understand that even COTA at Austin has now that problem.
    GPs that are bankrolled by governments in some countries are subject to political whim: they disappeared in Turkey, Malaysia, Korea for example.
    Russia, Azerbijan, China or Vietnam could follow suite any time.

Let's face it, F1 has been living above its means for a while, with right holders using it as a cash machine, and the first storm is sending it crashing down.