F12 vs 458 Italia | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F12 vs 458 Italia

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by PhilNotHill, May 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Lol, snow tires indeed. Mine was supposed to get 4-4. I told them to keep it.

2. treynor

treynor Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ben
    My $.02: they are not really substitutes; one is a light mid-engine V8 sports car which loves to rev and turn, the other is a front-engine V12 GT car with absurd amounts of power. On twisty roads I prefer the 458; for commuting or longer trips I prefer the F12.

3. Maser GTS

Maser GTS Karting

Sep 18, 2011
    Just to be clear, both are mid-engine cars. 458 has the engine in the back half, and F12 has engine in the front half.

day355 and Solid State like this.
  4. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    And they handle differently.

5. patekswiss

patekswiss Formula 3

Mar 31, 2014
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo
    you make a good point -- what counts is the weight distribution and not the label. And the Berlinetta has weight distribution a lot closer to a mid-engine than to a typical front engine sports car. And to me that is one of its most attractive and indispensable features -- marrying that kind of power with that kind of weight distribution is one of the reasons it does such awesome things.

day355 likes this.
  6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Yeah but Ferrari still makes them handle differently:

V12 front engine- more old school- more of the big torque with the weight over the front better for grand touring.

V8- more of a machine which likes to pivot.

I'll have one of each please. Or even better- more than one of each!!!!! :)

7. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    458 is all show and no go. (lol).

8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Max RPM of F12 is 8700 (consult Ferrari website). Two totally different and class leading vehicles. Both award winning NA engines but one with 50% more cylinders. Big block vs. small block. F12 has exact same crank an cylinders as LaFerrari. Both last Pininfarina supercars. F12 last Ferrari supercar penned under Sergio Pininfarina before he died. Both extremely reliable and held value very well. Both released under LdM and before IPO when annual production was 5xxx. Both new chassis designs from prior models. One singes your hair the other sets it on fire. Both carve smiles into face as standard equipment. :)

day355 and Gh21631 like this.