458 - SOLVED: Ferrari 458 intake manifold flaps code 1525 1521 1523 | FerrariChat

458 SOLVED: Ferrari 458 intake manifold flaps code 1525 1521 1523

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Tarek307, Jan 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Hello & hope this post helps future owners with this issue. i will try to explain it as best as possible, i'm not a mechanic so excuse any silly descriptions and the long post.

I have a 2010 458 Italia 29K miles, i bought the car a few months ago , the car was babied its entire life and wasn't driven hard, always serviced on time and passed an independent inspection with no issues when i bought it.

I had the car a few weeks then while driving one day and accelerating hard right around 7K RPM the car would flash "Engine system control failure" and go into limp mode, i'd restart and it would be fine but check engine light stayed on. The code that showed up on OBD was 1525, and stored codes were 1521 1523 this was the exact same situation another member here went through.

I changed the battery, however this would repeatedly happen whenever i would rev the car hard, at least 1 out of 3 times. so the battery was not the issue.

I read a few threads and found that 1 person who had the issue paid $10,000 for a new Planum *ouch. another had to go to ferrari have them disassemble the system then he never gave a darn to update the thread but i suppose it was big $$.

My solution was taking it to the amazing Craig Calder at Fast Cars LTD in Redondo Beach because i knew if there was a way around spending big money throwing parts at it, Craig would figure it out. The shop there has some amazing talent, true Craftsmen is what i like to call them, people proud of their jobs, Mario & Francisco the techs are geniuses.

They worked on the car for about a week, and were able to determine by cycling the flaps via computer that one of them was stuck (furthest one back of engine bay) and the other 2 also had an issue, (those front 2 are connected by a rod) They marked the flaps with marker to see how they swiveled-

They were able to better reach the flaps i believe through the air box without removing the manifold and found that there is a little bearing that makes the arm which controls 2 connected flaps move, that bearing was seized (that part isnt for sale alone, you have to buy entire arm) but by lubricating the bearing and using some other methods they were able to free it and it worked - Now onto the other flap, that one was just barley opening because of some carbon buildup and grime around it (Most likely because the car wasn't driven hard even though it has close to 30k miles was driven around town) So they also lubricated around that flap, cleaned it, and it now freely moves. I picked up the car and took it up several times to high RPM and it is now working just fine with no issues.

So we solved the issue without having to get a new Plenum or even remove the Manifold, of course it still took a lot of work and diagnosing but it was much cheaper than the other 2 options..I think that anyone having an issue with those flaps may find the little bearing that moves the arms which rotate the flaps the issue plus carbon buildup .

kiryu, turbokraft, 458SG and 6 others like this.
  2. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Great info.........I was one of those that had the expensive fix......hopefully my issue was different (so I don't regret writing that check). Unfortunately my limited knowledge of engines means I must rely on what others tell me. Mine did not go into limp mode (least I don't think so - if this means you had substantial power loss) but I had a clear loss of horsepower - it would still get up and go, just not with the same kick (I noticed it for a few days before the light came on). They did test mine the same as yours......and determined the air intake manifold was warped and would not allow the flaps to fully open (sounds familiar huh?). They said they had seen this on one other 2010. So they replaced the whole air intake for around $9K. This was not the only issue I had with my 2010 (I don't think it was treated properly by owner #1), so I traded in for 2012 and have not had a issue with that one (knock on wood). Hopefully your post helps the new person who gets has this issue.........(and wish you had posted this about 5 years ago:))

Melvok, F485 and Tarek307 like this.
  3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Thanx a lot !

We all like to learn from other owners experiences here !

But what flaps do you mean, it doesn't ring a bell with me.

Was it exhaust, intake, air ?? Please explain or send a photo or drawing ….

4. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
  5. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Glad you were able to circumvent the expensive repair OP ($10k for new plenum replacement???? wow). Owning a Fcar out of warranty can be a bit daunting but the more people chime in and share their experience on here the better IMO, so thanks for the write up. I've heard great things about Fast Cars & Craig.

kiryu, Chris GT3 and Tarek307 like this.
  6. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah

Attached Files:

bergxu, Melvok, F485 and 1 other person like this.
  7. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    On behalf of many 458 owners, thank you.......

bergxu, turbokraft, Melvok and 3 others like this.
  8. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    You are all welcome haha..thats what this forum is for, find an issue, find a solution, post the solution to help others.

I'm also happy to report i've tested the car all weekend, even went to the canyons today running it over 7K rpm many many times & she is A-OK! The fix worked (as things stand)

9. jackolo18

jackolo18 Rookie

May 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jackiechan
    Hello, maybe someone has a photo where i have to work on my 2011 45i italia.

I have the same fault.. my car stocks when i try to accelrate and the Motor Check Engine is on. When i read the ecu it says: aire intake manifold

10. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Disassemble the intake manifold. Clean the carbon. Lube any pivot points. Tarek posted the pic.

bergxu likes this.
  11. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Tarek,

Did the mechanics tell you their theory as to why the flaps got stuck? Carbon build-up due to systematically not driving the car hard? Was that what caused the issue in the first place?

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

12. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I know you want first hand info, but:

Carbon buildup is an issue. Also, moisture is an issue. It only takes a little moisture to flash rust a small bearing like would be at the ends of those flaps. I am unsure on this model, but in many applications, a small electric servo runs them. They have no torque to overcome the break loose force needed to free up a flash rusted bearing. That being said, one could work the flaps from the outside a few time and see if that is all it would take to get things up and running again.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  13. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Thank you for that explanation, Ian. I really appreciate it.

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

bergxu likes this.
  14. jackolo18

jackolo18 Rookie

May 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jackiechan
    I testet the stuck flaps with launch xdiag.
    I marked them too.
    When i turn on the test: test air intake flap rear then the flap open and close and then the break up.
    When i turn on the test: test air intake flap front+middle then it open and close like everything is ok with both flaps.

So i have to disassemble the air intake or the air intake cover left and right too?

Where i can order the gasket in germany?

bergxu likes this.
  15. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Basically i was told its because the car was always just driven around slowly around town and so on, and never opened up and allowed to breathe, i guess carbon, dirt & particles all build up and cause this.

xfrgtr and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  16. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    I'm not a mechanic so don't know, all i know is they didn't have to order any parts for mine, read my initial detailed post thats all i know and understood. it was basically reaching the parts to clean them and free up etc

17. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I guess direct fuel injection has its advantages and its drawbacks.

Thank you very much for your feedback, Tarek. I appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Tarek307 likes this.
  18. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    No prob, i really think this thread should be a sticky because i guess many have gone through this and instead of going the route Fast Cars LTD did with my car to fix it they end up taking the easy quick but very expensive way out of just throwing new parts at it.

19. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Thread added to the 458 master sticky thread.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

F485 and Tarek307 like this.
  20. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    Thank you for sharing the experience and the pictures! i got another 458 2013 and I think it didn't have this issue.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  21. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    Thank you for sharing the experience and the pictures! i got another 458 2013 and I think it didn't have this issue.

22. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Year doesn't matter, they can all have this issue, just like DCT the entire run (small percentage) suffered issues wasn't limited to certain years as some think

F485, AlfistaPortoghese and xfrgtr like this.
  23. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Would an issue like this be covered under the extended factory power train warranty?

24. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    i'm quite sure it would be covered, but obviously check w Ferrari and ask . Sorry for the late reply

25. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    First of all I also thank you for sharing this very helpful info.
    I am so far lucky enough not to have this issue, but you never know, and I am always curious about our cars, and like to be ready, in case...
    So my question is: do you mean that these guys removed the intake down to the throttle bodies (I guess) and managed to access, clean and lube the flaps/shafts/bearings from inside the plenum, with it (the red wrinkle chamber, I mean) still on?
    Thanks in advance.

Tarek307 likes this.