Skyscraper Chicago | Page 27 | FerrariChat

Skyscraper Chicago

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by F1tommy, Feb 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    GIOTTO likes this.
  5. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Always very interesting and exciting thread, Tom.
    Please continue to post and thank you.

6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Latest updated renderings of 400 N Lake Shore Drive. Nice details in Terra Cotta. Related will build the taller north tower first. Thanks Giotto. Hope you visit soon.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Even with the virus building and planning continues in Chicago. One Chicago is still flying up and should be close to 1000 feet tall when completed.

Salesforce tower broke ground this week at Wolf Point. Around 900 feet tall.

Added 46,000 square feet to the under construction BMO tower. Should be around 750 feet tall now.

Also the Tribune tower was approved with amendments and will now be 1442 feet tall. No start date for construction.

Salesforce

BMO

Tribune Tower

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    What's the point of building new high rises when the people can't go anywhere? :(

Texas Forever likes this.
  10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

The high rises are less temporary than the lockdown... :)

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You sure?

Texas Forever likes this.
  12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    How long did the Spanish Flu lockdown last. I think big cities will get over it, although they might learn to handle it better 3rd time round.

Truly amazing how stupid humans still are 100 years on with viruses. We still can't stop it let alone cure it.

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #663 tifosi12, May 11, 2020
    Last edited: May 11, 2020
    Fixed it for you.

All kidding aside (and I realize this is the wrong forum for these kinds of comments) I am stunned about what's going on in our beloved city. For the first time in 30 years I do not feel proud to live here. And that's not because of a virus.

Also this year has taught me to leave town sooner than later. And (more in relation to your great thread) I do not want to live in a high rise any longer. They are exactly the wrong environment in such a crisis. Which makes me wonder what will become of the downtown office space. Not this year, but in the long term. People will shun tall buildings. Which is why I made the previous comment: Why build tall buildings when the current time shows us in so many ways that this is totally wrong. And don't tell me this was a one in a hundred years event.

I realize people have the attention span/memory of a gnat but I'm equally sure we will face this again. And I have a hard time dealing with it now. Don't ever want to go through this again. Life in the big city/buildings will change. Bet on it.

14. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    We don't know how this will play out in big RED cities yet. I have a feeling a lot more people are going to get the virus in rural areas as well. Then the virus will slow down on it's own just like the Spanish Flu did.

Florida makes me very worried with its elderly population.

On large cities with skyscrapers , I think you are totally wrong. They will learn from this probably faster than small cities. By the way, Big red was the one who was so slow to react, although the lockdown is I think overdone.

Funny thing is I would not be caught dead living in a big downtown. I like grass and large tree filled lots, not tiny living spaces in the city. I also like cars, and the big cities are not car friendly anymore.

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Read an interesting article about the development of Chicago downtown yesterday. Didn't sound good for places like the Willis tower. How do you social distance in a building this tall with a given number of elevators? It's just not going to work. Similar arguments can be made for pretty much any high rise office building.

What is completely wrong is blocking the lake front and the river walk. What our immune system needs now is sunshine and jogging in the open air. Not being locked away.

16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    "Chicago-based Golub and Los Angeles-based CIM Group’s proposal for a 113-story, 1,442-foot tall hotel and residential skyscraper would be the second-tallest building in Chicago. It received zoning approval from the full City Council today. "

This project does not seem to even be slowing down. Don't think short term and start believing big cities will slow down. That would be short sited and almost American media style thinking:)

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/commercial-real-estate/aldermen-clear-tribune-tower-east-slated-be-citys-second-tallest

17. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Alot of ignorance in medium size non dense cities around the southern USA right now. So you thought it could only happen in New York and Chicago, I think not.

My guess is the final state Covid 19 numbers will be close to the state population figures from largest to smallest. It's got a long way to go unfortunately.

Big cities and big skyscrapers are here to stay!

18. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  19. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  20. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Thank you...

21. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Nice photos of Chicago. Here is an airborne shot of the downtown cluster taken last week looking southeast. It's getting pretty big as it keeps spreading north/south and west.

22. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  23. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  24. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #675 F1tommy, Dec 5, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    A few new projects coming next to the Dan Ryan east and west sides. Developers also seem to think the government will proceed with a stimulus for infrastructure next year. That will drive a few new high rises.

First photo 640 West Washington

Second photo 525 S Wabash