A scam - Ferrari spare parts ripp off | FerrariChat

A scam - Ferrari spare parts ripp off

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by speedbird1000, May 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedbird1000

speedbird1000 Rookie

Jun 29, 2008
    Europe
    Hi All,

Ferrari are regularly charging ten times (or more) mark up on the price spares. F1 hydraulics on an F430?, around $25,000 please thank you Sir. when a normal garage can get the parts from alpha romeo and do the work for about $1,000.

Need new brake pads for F12? $850 parts only please Sir. Oh Brembo sells direct to Audi owners, rear Brembo ceramic pads for an Audi R cost $67...the F12 brakes are made by Brembo.

I could go on all day long at their "extreme" mark ups and anti competitive practices, ie seems Brembo cant sell F12 brakes pads without Ferrari ? Audi seems to be OK with direct selling by parts manufacturers so why not Ferrari? Why can't you get a Getrag part for your Ferrari gearbox ? Blocked by Ferrari? Hmmm.

All these profits are now ending up in the hands of prius driving? greedy Wall St shareholder's too, as Ferrari is listed in New York. ! Feels like we being told the Kings clothes look fantastic.. the reality is the ripp off scam has gone unchallenged and there could be anti trust breaches and or anti competion rules breaches of E.U laws in what's going on, should be investigated.

We should have the right to drive our cars and NOT be completely fleeced on spares and maintenance...

psych0hans and 4_Eff_Sake like this.
  2. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    curious,
    What is your understanding of research and development cost vs low production numbers?

S

paulchua and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  3. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Well... in many cases - using some ingenuity and investing a bit of time to research - Ferrari parts can be cross-referenced with their non-OEM equivalents and obtained at a fraction of the price asked for the same OEM items. The various "cross-reference parts" threads stickied at the top of many FChat forums are a good place to start, but there are MANY more resources available if one can summon enough of the proverbial "Google-foo".

This isn't true in all cases but still...

4. psych0hans

psych0hans Karting

Jan 12, 2020
    Bombay, India
    At the end of the day, it’s their prerogative to make as much money as possible from every customer. It’s YOUR prerogative to find lower cost alternatives to the massively marked up prices. Do you really expect them to serve this up to you on a platter? “Oh Sir, we are charging you $850 for these pads, why don’t you just buy them directly from brembo instead and save $800, we don’t mind, we never wanted your money anyways”.

If you look at the other thread where they discuss the amount of profit per car made by Ferrari, you’ll see how they successfully manage to charge $4,000 for something like Apple car play, which is offered freely on cars 1/10th the price. At the end of the day it’s just a money grab. YOU need to decide how to spend your money and time.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    The cost of owning and maintaining a Ferrari is not a secret. In fact, it is something that every potential owner is often well-advised about before making a purchase.

6. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Agree with everyone that posted before me. Very sharp analysis on your behalf.

In a nutshell, it’s the price of exclusivity. I like exclusivity, I won’t lie. So I pay up. Ferrari asks for a huge premium, because they can. We pay up, because we can.

Having a steak dinner at the Ritz will be much more expensive than eating at a back alley restaurant, even though/if the meat is the same.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

SAFE4NOW, papou, paulchua and 2 others like this.
  7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    This ^

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  8. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    there is a difference between paying up for a ferrari bespoke design vs paying up for a common corvette or audi part. cant argue low production/ high development costs with a standard off the shelf part.

9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There's an old saying in the commodity market, "the best cure for high prices is high prices". Alternatives will appear to fulfill a demand.

SAFE4NOW and energy88 like this.
  10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Funny thing. Ferrari does do development and production on its own.. but.. but.. MANY of the parts are derived from OTHER cars as well! When you know what those parts are, you can buy them at Bosch pricing and avoid the "Ferrari Tax". Try putting down the checkbook sometime and do some research. If you don't like to get your hand dirty actually looking at the part/component/tire that is broken, you can wear some gloves. If you take your now used car to the Ferrari dealership for a repair and pay out of pocket, you're getting ripped off.

11. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    "Scam" and "rip off" are usually associated with cheap Chinese knock offs counterfeit parts. Usually, you get what you pay for.

12. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    That’s something I agree with. The most expensive part is the one that doesn’t last, regardless of price.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Nospinzone and energy88 like this.
  13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Very odd post.

Does Ferrari charge, (at times exorbitantly) more than others? Yes

Is this anti-competitive? No, since Ferrari is not a monopoly or close to an essential service/good.

Are shareholders greedy? Hypothetically, say all are - shouldn't they be since they invested in a public, for-profit, non-governmental entity?

How old are you my friend? Please do not take umbrage to this query. It simply ask so I can calibrate my further responses to your experience level.

psych0hans likes this.
  14. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Ferrari may co design parts with other companies like say Brembo. Then they contract Brembo to supply them and only to them which is ok I guess given the development time and money. Those contracts only last so long and then you can go to Brembo or other suppliers to get the exact same parts. When you buy a brand new car you're tied to them. My F430 is 13 years old and I do not have any such problems.

psych0hans likes this.
  15. setbkk

setbkk Rookie

Mar 16, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Steven
    "profits are now ending up in the hands of prius driving? greedy Wall St shareholder's"

That is a pretty naive statement. I drive a Ferrari and own shares in RACE. It's been a good investment. I am not a Wall Street vulture, just a regular investor hoping to find stocks with good returns.

psych0hans likes this.
  16. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Boys,

Ferrari is NOT a 'Car Company.'

It IS a 'RACING Company.'

F1 Racing AIN'T CHEAP.

The Road Cars are purely a NECESSARY EVIL to keep the F1 cars On The Track.

psych0hans likes this.
  17. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ferrari's F1 team is a profitable venture, isn't it?

psych0hans and paulchua like this.
  18. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That used to be the case when Enzo owned it.
    These days its a public listed luxury goods company that makes cars and also makes significant $$ from licensing and selling merchandise. The F1 team is a profit centre, it's in their annual accounts.

psych0hans likes this.
  19. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    I have own stock from Minute 1.

Last I heard they planned on letting all the BS Merchandising Licenses Lapse and not renew but a very select few, which I Applaud if they do.

They are STILL a Racing Company.*

Cut that out and they just become an Over Priced Loui Vittan with a car line.

* - And personally, Id rather watch paint dry than an F1 'race.'

20. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Do you feel better now? That was some rant. Caveat emptor when choosing to own one of these glorious machines. Takes $$ to fund a 70 year old racing habit. A little research and I bet you can find very acceptable alternatives in many instances.

21. GOODYES

GOODYES Karting

Oct 7, 2017
    Barcelona, Spain (España)
    Full Name:
    Alejandro
    well Ferrari is not a race only company.. is primary a profit company recent public so first is the business.. If F1 will be free they, Ferrari, will still continuento sell new cars and parts and one off and cars of about 3 millions, why not ? this is business.
    Porsche all well, but for me Ferrari is ten times better than porsche as every 5 years theres a new name and every 10 yearsa revolution succesor of the rpedecesor models unlike porsche or audi or bmw all time 911, all time a6, series 3 etc.. or mercedes rhe same,but ferrari or lambo are different thisbis why I love both, altough a bit more F.

paulchua likes this.