Magnum PI | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Magnum PI

Discussion in '308/328' started by flashman, Dec 3, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    She was in that 2 parter back in 86. "LA" I think was the name? They were going to get married.

Anyway, I clearly remember thinking at the time that she was super cute. I had never seen her before.

2. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'm up to episode 148 out of 162 on Netflix. I was surprised at how many episodes that I had missed or simply don't remember. This show brings back special memories for me as I lived on Oahu for a few years in the early eighties and I would see them filming around the island. My memories of Honolulu are similar to the scenes in the show and it saddens me every time I go back and drive through Waikiki. Gone are all of the fun bars and the like and they have been replaced by the Gucci, Prada and Ferrari stores. I can see that in Beverly Hills.

I drove by "Robin's Nest last year and it look to have fallen to disrepair. Got a chance to wade in the tide pool. Someone had posted that it was recently sold so hopefully better days are ahead.

3. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    That's right...she was super cute. Good memory, LA was the title...it was just on TV last week so that's why I mentioned it.

Dana Delany was on a show in the 90's called China Beach and also last few years on something where she was a medical examiner.

On a side note, Tom Selleck was on a radio show in LA about ten years ago...Mark and Brian. I called in to ask questions and was on hold for about 2 hours, then they said they ran out of time to take callers...

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I am VERY familiar with Mark & Brian! They first got together/got their start here in Birmingham when I was in high school. Everybody loved them. They were so popular they bounced from Bham to LA in just 2 years.

When they retired, I sent them copies of some TV Spots, etc. they did here as far back as 1985. It got there just after they left the air for good but KLOS called me here at the office twice to thank me and they sent me a big fat box of M&B stuff from through the years.

Fun times.

5. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    That's right...they were from Alabama. I think Mark in in North Carolina enjoying the good life. Not sure where Brian is, but I know he was doing a pod cast or something. I listened to them for years...sad when they ended the show. The replacement show, Heidi and Frank can't even compare. I loved all the family members too. I know Brian is/was a car guy, but don't know what he actually drove.

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    (sorry for getting so far off subject here)

Just for laughs, you may want to check this out. I actually got up at 5:30 am that July morning back in 1987 and started recording their last show here off the air on cassette tapes. I still have them up on a shelf in a shoebox or something, I hate to toss them out.

Someone did the same thing but digitized it and stuck it on a website. You may get a kick out of listening to some of this almost 30 years ago from here in Birmingham

https://archive.org/details/MarkAndBriansLastDayAtWapi-fmI-95BirminghamAlabama

click this to go straight to it:
    https://ia601200.us.archive.org/24/items/MarkAndBriansLastDayAtWapi-fmI-95BirminghamAlabama/MarkAndBriansLastDayAtI-95-FridayJuly171987completeShow_Edited.mp3

7. E-Dino

E-Dino Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2012
    San Diego
    Last kid off to college so now the wife and I are now empty nesters. We are all caught up on Game of Thrones and House of Cards, so I suggest Magnum. I never watched it when it first came out. She likes the fashion and I dig the 308 shots.

There is probably not room in the stable, but it would be cool to have a red GTS to go with the GT4.....This show really makes me want one.

8. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    My wife, daughter (6 years old) and I have been watching the whole series on Netflix. Just picked up a 328 to go with my 355. My daughter likes the 328 better as she thinks its the Magnum car. I haven't had the discussion of a 308 vs 328 yet.

9. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    So this is something weird that I noticed during one of the episodes of Magnum. In part 2 of memories are forever which is a 2 part episode season 2 episode 5 and 6 when Magnum finds his wife Michelle. In the second episode when Thomas has Buck Greene on the ship at gunpoint you can very faintly hear the song Barracuda by Heart it is really weird. I watched this episode awhile back and heard the song but thought it was something going on with my reception. This episode was on again today and I watched it and heard the song again in the background and looked on the internet and other people have made reference to it. Really weird.

10. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Great song! :O)

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    This reminds me of me and hearing something unusual in The Clash's "Rock The Casbah"

That was a flat out punk English rock band and the song has absolutely nothing to do with 19th century deep south USA - but growing up I swear I heard, of all things, a digital watch alarm playing "Dixie" mixed in the song (I had one of those watches back then). I knew I heard it but I just didn't understand the point of doing that so I always figured it had to be something else.

Well, it really is an alarm from a digital watch playing Dixie. Never was my imagination.

Weird.

rob likes this.
  12. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Lol. That’s awesome

Du_Man likes this.
  13. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The magically disappearing targa top has been mentioned a few times over the years, in the various Magnum PI threads.

Way back yonder, I also noted that as Magnum power slides the Ferrari away on the grass, a car passes by, from right to left, which you can see Magnum look back at.

The road was supposed to have been closed off, so there would be no risk of any traffic coming along, just in case. Somehow, the car got past the road closure, and Tom Selleck was genuinely surprised to see it drive by.

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have always wondered who that was and where they are now. Seeing TV cameras and a red Ferrari zooming away had to be something memorable to see almost exactly 40 years ago (now even) and as popular as that show was he or she had to have see it many times, knowing that was THEM if you looked closely and carefully!

15. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    #115 JLF, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Have been watching the series again, just finishing season one. It’s just a good show with a great setting. Really takes me back to watching it with my dad when I was about 10.

Kinda sad, Robins nest today.

View attachment 2937769

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Why does my photo have a lock on it and says “you do not have permission to view this file”?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It seems to me that in the pilot episode, right after he "steals" the Ferrari from under Higgin's nose the next scene is the one where he unlatches the top and pretty much dumps it off the back of the car before doing his signature eyebrow thing and peeling out of the grass onto the road. For the most part the targa top is never seen again.

18. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    On this date in 1988 the two hour series finale was aired on CBS.

Rosey and Thomas Magnum like this.
  19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I skipped fraternity meeting that night to watch it.

I risked being blackballed even though I was running a vhs tape.

I still have that tape. After Magnum's last episode it has all the news footage of Enzo Ferrari’s death on it.

max930, kiwiokie and Rosey like this.