Aftermarket exhausts | FerrariChat

Aftermarket exhausts

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Lagunae92, May 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Has anyone replaced their exhaust in the SoCal area with an aftermarket one? Looking at Novitec or Kline, but don’t want to attract attention from the police. I know they’ve been cracking down on loud exhausts a lot more recently. I would get an adjustable valved one, to have the option to tone it down.

Just curious if anyone has run into trouble. Thanks!

2. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    I have race pipes and Quick Titanium exhaust on my Lamborghini and it is LOUD. I have never been pulled over but my wife has, she ended up getting a ticket for not having the registration in the car even though it was current. It was in the car but she forgot about the side small glovebox I keep it in.

3. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Was she pulled over the the exhaust? I had been pulled over years ago for a Tubi Race exhaust on my V8 M3. To be fair, I was revving it at night in a bowling alley parking lot in Glendale. The cop had pulled someone else over then followed me. Told me it was illegal to modify my exhaust then let me go. It was just because I was being dumb in a parking lot...I eventually added an X pipe it it toned it down again.

4. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    Capristo level 3 on my Stradale... never pulled over... it is loud when you are ON IT HARD.. and im guessing, if i passed police at full song id be pulled over not just for how loud it is.. but speed at that point.

i always short shift when police are near me....

5. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Cop was hired the week prior to pulling her over. It’s my small city so I went and spoke with the watch commander because he was a complete dick to her. He took care of the ticket and apologized. Never had a problem since.

6. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    These cars aren't quiet. Any car accelerating makes a fair bit of noise. I think unwell you're drawing attention to yourself revving in the open, nobody is going to know. It's still a refined sound with an aftermarket exhaust.

7. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    I have S-Line. What car?

8. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    Are you in Laguna too?

9. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I’m not in Laguna, no. Looking at replacing the Pista and 812 exhausts.

10. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    I just ordered a full Larini for the Testarossa with the pre cat delete.

11. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    You will be fine with Novitec or Kline even if you decat. If you roll by police in high gear low revs, very unlikely the cop will give any extra attention to you. If you are at 8000rpm then yeah, expect to get pulled over.

I'm willing to bet that if you rolled by a police car at 8000 rpm with the stock exhaust, you would still get pulled over, so no difference in outcome.

However, if your car is decatted and stinking up like crazy during the pullover, your chances of getting sent to the state referee is much higher, so turn off the engine when pulled over.

sparetireless and Lagunae92 like this.