Crazy California PP after 20k Miles. CC Brakes ? Can Anyone Help | FerrariChat

Crazy California PP after 20k Miles. CC Brakes ? Can Anyone Help

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by CaliMIA305, May 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CaliMIA305

CaliMIA305 Rookie

May 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Federico I
    Hi There,
    I recently took a 2012 20k mile Ferrari California to Ferrari Fort Lauderdale for a PPI. They charged me $1500 for a PPI. They found over $70K work to be done (not including brake rotors). After reading the PPI, I am sure I can get an independent shop to do the minor mechanical things for under $10K. But here is what I dont understand. They said the rotors were "worn to 4%". After only 20k miles? Does this sound normal? The tech over at Ferrari made it sound like it was perfectly normal... He assured me it wasn't due to track use or anything. I don't know though, I have never owned a Ferrari and I am just trying to do my due diligence but judging from the rest of the WAY over priced PPI, I feel like they are just trying to hose me on the brakes?

I posted this in the California forum and they suggested I post it here instead. Can anyone help a newbie out?

PS: This is the same dealer that tried to convince me to change the rotors on my Ghibli after 10k miles.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm going to suggest you run away from this car. 70k in repairs? Interior falling apart..oil leaks..say good by and find another. There are plenty to choose from.

3. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Agree, run away. Looking over that quote though, 114.50 to adjust the washer squirters, gas cap tether 587.13 LOL

4. CaliMIA305

CaliMIA305 Rookie

May 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Federico I
  5. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    You seem to be trying to talk yourself into this car and rationalize all the wrongs. RUN, do not walk, away from this car/purchase.

6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I'm trying to find the part of the PPI that accounts for the $1500 charge.

Edit: ah, ok...they did do a compression test... that definitely does take longer than looking at a few buttons and writing down "they are broken."

7. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    And this is why I sold my <10K mile California when it went in for a service and they found nearly $20k in repairs was needed. Parts from other sources amounted to about $5k. Ridiculous for a 5 year old <10k mile car. I'll stick to old Ferraris and other brand late model cars.
    ps I heard the brakes were suppose to be a lifetime item unless tracked

8. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Suspect with those prices the dealer is hoping you will help fund their employee retirement plan for the quarter.

JCR likes this.
  9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    It is funny because often we got those threads about buying a salvage Ferrari. Looking at these kinds of prices is exactly why with minimal damage these cars get totalled so often. Look at that $17 remove and reseal engine. Can you imagine in a crash the belly is scratched and the shop says remove and replace engine to change scratched part $17K.

tbakowsky likes this.
  10. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    5 years ago I had a PPI done by Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale. Took the car to another Ferrari dealer and got a very different PPI. So beware.

I also note that many of the problems are cosmetic and electrical. There are many lower cost solutions than the full on remedies they are suggesting. Just as an example, Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale put a 3M bra on my car that started yellowing. Instead of replacing it, I had a detailer sand it and then ceramic coat it. It looks perfect. Under prior ownership of my car Ferrrari of Fort Lauderdale had also replaced my instrument cluster (is there a consistent theme here?). Rod Drew out here on the West Coast does instrument cluster repairs for far, far less and is well thought of (I first found him through Taz).

If you are really interested in this car I would take it to a reputable independent and get a real PPI and then make some decisions.

11. OffsetImage

OffsetImage Rookie

Apr 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Spence Haldren
    The CCM wear at 4% is very normal, I see this daily, they are supposed last “100k miles,” that’s only the rotor wear not the pad wear. Also, keep in mind that for a shops need to cover their own ass when it comes to PPIs. If it’s something they failed to mention in the PPI it could come back to bite them in the ass especially in Florida and a few of their states around the country.

12. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    This is disgraceful and a black eye to the brand. What a load of BS.

13. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    $14,600 for a headlight and a “reconditioning” of the other ?

God I thought we 456 guys had it rough !

14. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Does a PPI REALLY take 10 to 15 hours these days? THAT would account for a $1500 charge. Or? Is the $1500 a CYA fee, in case something they missed turns up, and you jump on them?

15. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    The whole thing is basically fraud

16. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Well, there are specifically some issues I have with the report itself.

The first form with the checkboxes is a generic dealership form; we have a similar one. It takes less than 10-15 mins to examine a car to fill out the form. However, the form as completed directly contradicts other information later included. Under "Inspect for Visual Leaks", they've marked "engine/etc" as Green - meaning no issues. Yet later, they identify a $17,000 valve cover leak.

In addition, they have listed at the bottom of the form that Tire Wear Indicates that the tires need balancing. While possibly noted visually, it's something I very rarely see - and usually on tires with much less tread depth, and older than 20K miles. Perhaps it has the original tires, in which case all manner of things can be expected on EOL tires. If they tires are indeed original, then they should be replaced - not balanced and rotated.

They've listed the battery spec as 700 CCA. I've done hundreds of battery tests; I cannot recall ever getting a single result that the actual measured CCA was identical to the spec. Which leads me to question if the battery was tested at all.

The additional details list "compression test performed, results normal". Odd that the results aren't actually listed on the report.

There are many issues that would make me walk away from this car, but I'm not thrilled about the shop's reporting methods either.

17. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    My favorite part was saying the car wouldn't start, so it needs a new starter for $3440, yet somehow they still managed to "test drove the car and no overheating noticed at this time" ;) Oh, and recommending a $1429 replacement for the key because the buttons are worn.