What I'd give for one more inch... (not that kind of thread) | FerrariChat

What I'd give for one more inch... (not that kind of thread)

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Shamsta, May 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shamsta

Shamsta Rookie

Nov 25, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    I'm not sure if the Thread Title grabbed the right crowd, but it's honestly what I need these days. Get your mind out of the gutter and perhaps you can help me.

My 2016 F12 was spec'd with stunning Carbon Fiber race seats. The seats are gorgeous, and frankly, very comfortable, except I cannot raise the seat height. I'm 5'-9" so my eye level is only 1" above the steering wheel. I would prefer to sit at least 2" above the steering wheel so I can see more of the never-ending bonnet of the F12. I haven't seen any threads with info on raising racing seats, nor does the dealer have any parts/options to do so. Any ideas out there?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Hmmm... I presume the F12 is the same as the 812 which means it can be ordered with or without a racing seat lifter. It’s mechanical rather than electric. Most are spec’ed with it, for obvious reasons. It might be possible to have the lifter installed, but no doubt very expensive

Other option I guess is to have padding added to the seats themselves. You may be able to find someone who can retain the look and comfort of the existing seats?

Anyway, hope that helps!

3. F12finally

F12finally Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2020
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Robinson
    I would like to hear what you come up with. I am fine in the seat but it is too low for my wife. I bought a cushion to put on the seat when she drives it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Shamsta

Shamsta Rookie

Nov 25, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    I found the racing seat lifter for 458 and 488 models but when I approached the dealer for the F12, he said it didn't exist. It's worth going back and asking again.

5. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    While we are kind of on the subject, I would not mind if the steering wheel was one inch more into the cabin - so one more inch extension would be nice in my case...

Shamsta likes this.
  6. Tireman

Tireman Karting

Nov 13, 2011
    Canada
    Mine has the mechanical lift ..
    Dealer might want to recheck

7. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Based on some earlier posts on F-Chat, it sounds like you cannot retrofit the seat lifter to an F12 seat that does not have the lifter. The reason is that the base of the seat with lifter is entirely different to the base of the seat that does not have lifter — so it sounds like you would need to order entirely new seats and new rails with lifter. Which would be expensive. Others on this forum have instead had spacer fitted to raise their seat. The seat is not adjustable once raised in this way, but is raised to the fixed height the owner wants. I am sure there were some photos on this forum of someone showing how spacers and bolts were installed. I will try to find them. In the meantime, see this thread: F12 Seat Lifter Photo

8. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Try raising the back of the seat to a more upright position. That will force you to sit straighter which will raise your line of sight.

Marcel Massini and pilotoCS like this.
  9. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I've always found that being more upright is more comfortable on the back and the neck. And, as you suggest, it improves your sightline.

wrs likes this.
  10. Shamsta

Shamsta Rookie

Nov 25, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    You are spot on!! and thank you for the info on the othe thread. I will ultimately need to custom build something but was hoping there might have been some alternative out there.

11. Shamsta

Shamsta Rookie

Nov 25, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    Agreed, I always sit up right.

12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Those race seats in the F12 look great but you give up full electric customization for both seat and steering wheel plus heated seats. I find that I don't drive my car enough (not just due to COVID) and still play with seat adjustment especially height. Different setups for different days/moods.

13. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    I went through this. You cannot retrofit the seat lifter. The bottom base is different and the lifter mechanism will not work

I ended up machining blocks that were 1.5” high and sat under the seat rails and raised my seat. This is the best option. Maybe find a shop that can do that for you. If you’re stuck... I could possibly make another set...but I would charge you a pretty penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shamsta likes this.
  14. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I have the lifter on mine racing seats and is really a great help to get a seating position with a good visibility over the F12 long bonnet.
    It's a pity the lifter can't be retrofit therefore the easy option is a cushion. There are some discreet and very thin orthopedic gel cushions with only 1 inch thickness (400mm x 400mm x 25mm).

15. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    As CrazyMD said.
    The 4 retaining studs that hold the seat to the body are easily removed. Take them to a nuts and bolts supply shop and obtain same but 1" longer.
    Have a machine shop drill out a 4" length piece of 1" solid round metal bar to allow snug fit of studs, Cut into 4 equal pieces and fit between body and seat frame, replace new studs and fasten tight, Job done.

Shamsta likes this.