360 - Interstate battery # MTX-48/H6 direct fit--WRONG! | FerrariChat

360 Interstate battery # MTX-48/H6 direct fit--WRONG!

Discussion in '360/430' started by KC360 FL, May 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    After reading here that this is THE battery for the 360 from Interstate I bought one this weekend to replace my fairly new OPTIMA red top battery. It absolutely is not THE battery. The Optima fit better although not great at least I could put the floor panel cover back on. The Interstate battery doesn't even allow for the installation of the foot board let alone the hold down. Pretty disappointing.

So DO NOT buy this battery as it will not fit in your 360-- FWIW.

Need4Spd and hessank like this.
  2. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    as a follow up... I was able to squeeze the battery back far enough into it's cubby hole to get the foot board screwed back in place. The hold down however-- not happening. Not an issue with the "J" hooks not being tall enough to fit the hold down. The battery is just physically too tall for any way to install it on top of the battery. FWIW

3. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    I just replaced my interstate MT5-48/H6-FR which was in my car.
    I installed an Odyssey Performance series 48-720 which as exactly the same size.
    It is a tight squeeze as was the Interstate, you just have to make sure cables are tucked out of the way in order to be able to slide it further in.

4. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    ^^ Yup.
    I was just a little squeamish about pushing the battery back and manipulating the cables. A lot of wires and other 17 year old stuff in there. Also will be fabricating a insulated cover to completely cover the positive terminal as it is sooooo close to the upper bracket and other metal under there. Starting to wonder if some of the reported miscellaneous electrical gremlins by others with their cars are related to this tight squeeze.

5. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    +1

I felt this way 3 years ago when I installed a new battery. After changing the connectors and putting everything back together
    I cut a rectangle piece out of a dense rubbery truck mud flap and placed it between the battery and those metal bits.
    That gave me the confidence that I needed to trust the setup.

brookliner7 and KC360 FL like this.
  6. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Get an MTZ-34R, that should be correct.

7. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I bought my battery from the Interstate battery corporate store (?) not a dealer or a tire store. When I called them I asked first if they have a replacement battery for the 360. He said it was NLA. Could that be the MTZ-34R you mention, Andy?

But he did say that they put one ( the updated non-lead acid glass mat version # MTX-48/H6 I bought) in a 360. He admitted it was tight but it does fit.

Gotta like the 3 year free replacement guarantee from Interstate.

8. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    FYI. Posted on an older thread. This is what I just installed (replacing the exact same one that was there for the last 5y with no issues):
    From Autozone ($159.99+tx) : Duralast Gold Battery H6-DLG Group Size 48 730 CCA

hessank and KC360 FL like this.
  9. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    The Interstate battery was $214.00. I guess that's an extra $54 for the three year free replacement policy they have. :D

10. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Hehe, Autozone has a 3y free replacement battery on their Duralast Gold (wet) & Platinum (AGM) series too ;-)

Which BTW, I went with the "wet" design. It's cheaper and no disadvantage when maintained on a trickle charger. I'm sure some will argue it's not a good idea to go cheaper on a Ferrari but in my experience wet batteries last longer than AGM.

KC360 FL likes this.
  11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I only prefer AGM because you never have to add water, and checking electrolyte level on a Ferrari is always a pain, due to the awkward place the put batteries on these cars. Also, an AGM will typically (though not always) last a couple years longer than a wet cell battery.

12. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    AGMs don’t leak. Best reason.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Apollo 11 likes this.
  13. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Don't be too confident of AGM batteries not leaking.
    This is the Interstate MT5-48/H6-FR that was in my 360. It was purchased by the previous owner from the Ferrari dealership that also installed it in April 2016.
    There is the leak at the front pictured here, and after removing it there was also a sign of it leaking at the back corner. Fortunately there was only some slight discoloration to the plating on the battery tray.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

KC360 FL likes this.
  14. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    ^^^ Sorry to think that you cannot rely on anything to be of quality these days...

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  15. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Optima red tops AGMs do...unfortunately.
    Several of us have experienced this

16. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Ok, well, AGMs are less likely to leak than standard wet cells.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Mimmo Blue and f355spider like this.
  17. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    My battery is still working fine but getting a bit old. So I looked at older threads and most mention the MT-91 size (6.8 in. tall) as the direct fit replacement for 360s and 430s, but it's a flooded cell. The MTZ-48/H6 size is a bit taller (7.5 in. tall), which explains why people run into fitment issues. Unlike the MT-91, however, the MTZ-48/H6 is AGM. I could not find an AGM in the MT-91 size (from Interstate, anyway). Interstate now says to use a MTZ-48/H6, and on most cars that would work. But most cars don't squeeze the battery under the passenger footrest.
    I also looked at Antigravity, and they have and spec the MT-91/T6 size for the 360. They also have and spec an H6 for 458s, which also puts the battery in the passenger footwell, but I'm guessing has more room.

KC360 FL likes this.