Help me pick a ferrari. | FerrariChat

Help me pick a ferrari.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Felix Yuen, May 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Felix Yuen

Felix Yuen Karting

Sep 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Felix Yuen
    hi all,
    Currently on the market for my first ferrari.
    This will be a weekend driver and will be added to my collection of other classics including an Shelby Cobra, Nissan R32 GTR, British classic mini, Mercedes Benz W114.
    My goal is to own an iconic piece of automotive history from each continent lol
    so i need your help to pick a ferrari that suits my budget and have a potential to grow in value.
    currently avaliable in my area are 3 examples that i have my eyes on.

1987 328 GTS 5spd gated (red/tan)
    1993 348 TS 5spd gated (red/blk)
    2003 360 spider F1 (red/blk)

they are all around 70000kms and have similar service and maintence history and have all been imported back and forth US and Canada. which i am fine with as i am not and cannot afford an one owner museum grade car anyways.

feel free to share your thoughts? which model would be a good investment? a potential growth in value like a 911 ??
    and i like them all...so dont tell me to pick !!

paulchua likes this.
  2. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    do NOT buy a 348

3. MaurizioAM

MaurizioAM Karting

Sep 5, 2018
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Maurizio
    The 87 328 GTS.

Julia, m5shiv and Shark01 like this.
  4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Oh come on now..they aren't so bad. Perhaps one of the best cars ever for steering input feel..

Robb likes this.
  5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    They are cars not investments

Robb, IloveGT, LARRYH and 1 other person like this.
  6. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i call it as i see it :)

paulchua likes this.
  7. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    - I recommend the 328. One of the greatest production Ferrari’s ever.

- 348’s are much maligned, but I like them myself. I think they are a very cool looking car and a beautiful, classic interior. Still, they are just not well respected and lack the character of a 328.

- 360’s are just blah to me. I’m sure their performance is exceptional for their era, but this is when the 8 cylinders were bland in design and grew considerably in size. I also think the 360 interior is very uninspiring.

- Another option to consider is a 355. You can get one for a great price these days. Also, they are still fairly “old school” (as opposed to the 360) but leaps ahead of a 328 in refinement.

paulchua and Robb like this.
  8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    328 is a good spot to be in, won’t make any money but won’t lose much either.

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    One thing I can guarantee.. you will have a moment with any of these where your wallet weeps for the money that leaves it. 328 might be more reliable (not the ones I've met BTW) but its slow and old.

The only question I have is which one makes your heart flutter when you think of sitting in it. THAT is the car to get. For me it was between a 348 and a 360 with a stick. I just didn't think I could afford the 360. I got lucky and one is in my garage. I still smile when I look at her. It's what makes those expensive bills bearable.

EnzoItaly, APA#1, psych0hans and 2 others like this.
  10. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    to me if you want an old school feeling car the 328 is a great car or even a 308 .... but if you want a more modern car with much more speed hard to beat the 360 ... none will make you any money but probably won't lose much either ....

paulchua likes this.
  11. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The 360 is a great Ferrari experience!

paulchua likes this.
  12. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

360, but look for a manual.

13. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    The 360 has twice the get up and go of the 328. I wouldn't even consider the F1 version, the gated shifter is an absolute pleasure to drive. Not to mention an F1 repair can be very expensive. The spider roof repair can get expensive too. My advice would be to look for a hardtop, gated 360 with aftermarket headers and campaigns performed. Do not worry about high mileage in a well maintained example. Forget the 348, parked beside a 328 or 360 they look underwhelming to be generous. They do have their fans though and they will run circles around a 328. Nice 1st world problem to have. For awhile I had Fabspeed headers, test pipes, and a non-valved Capristo III on my 360...the sound was just wicked but a little too loud so I put a quieter can on. There is no way that I am aware of to make a 328 sound good and sound is everything on your Ferrari. Good luck on your journey to Ferrari, once you own one you'll know what the fuss is all about.

psych0hans likes this.
  14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Another thing to consider is, are you modifier a purist? This may not seem to be a big issue at first, but this should be considered when buying a Ferrari because many have been seriously messed with by previous owners, whether it be exhaust systems, cosmetic elements, etc. In many cases, reversing these mods will prove to be very costly. Depending on how one views these things, it can add or detract from the experience of owning a Ferrari. I think much depends on how serious your desire is to delve deeply into the Ferrari culture.

eyeman1234, paulchua and psych0hans like this.
  15. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well, as someone who owns and loves an ‘87 red and tan 328, I’d have to say...

...go for the 328.

For driving feel, the pre ABS 328’s are the last real ‘analog’ Ferraris.

psych0hans likes this.
  16. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    360 stick is timeless and so much fun
    355 too

paulchua and Robb like this.
  17. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
  18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Lol
    F40

Sent from my iPhone using MotorInteractive

paulchua and plastique999 like this.
  19. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    The longer I'm involved with cars, the more I'm convinced it's impossible to know what cars will appreciate, or even hold their value, down the road. Total crapshoot, even more so if you're not buying an ultra low-mileage time capsule example.

I have an old 911 (1986), bought it cause it was the first car I ever loved as a kid, had the posters on my wall, plus it was cool and pretty cheap. Nobody ever thought they'd appreciate because they made so many, never gave a thought to appreciation. 3 years later it was "worth" 3 times what I paid, absolutely nobody called that when I was originally looking.

Have you driven any of the three you're looking at? Personally out of those I'd go with the 328, only because it makes my socks go up and down more than the other two. Had that poster, too ;)

20. GOODYES

GOODYES Karting

Oct 7, 2017
    Barcelona, Spain (España)
    Full Name:
    Alejandro
    355 sounds better than no other (except 458) and looks better than all. These days are on bargain prices. Maintenance is not worry at all. I still have one since 2017. I love it.

audi_328 and Robb like this.
  21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Agree. Have had my 355 since 2003

Robb likes this.
  22. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Obviously there are many Ferrari owners who are very focused on power output and speed, understandably. Many people naturally equate Ferrari with these traits. Still, I believe most love Ferrari first and foremost because of design. Frankly, the love I have for my cars has little to do with their power, which is rather unimpressive by todays standards. But, to me, they are absolutely beautiful. My point being, if you fall into this camp, then you'll obviously know which has that impact on you when you look at it.

tomc, m5shiv, eyeman1234 and 4 others like this.
  23. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I would vote F355.

None of these are likely to make you money so you had best buy something you really love because you may just have to keep it long term.

328 lowest maint costs but may have smaller buyer pool down the road

360 with a stick will have more buyers in next years as the people who wanted one were kids when new will have money to finally buy one in the future.

Robb

24. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    From your selection of cars, I’d go for one of the manuals as for me that is iconic Ferrari.

Noting all three are effectively from different eras, so very different power, driving position and potential maintenance issues.

As a very happy 348 owner there is absolutely nothing wrong with these; other than ill informed options from others!

As to future value; that is crystal ball stuff and I’m not familiar with the market there. In the UK all three are in very different price points although 360s have dropped the most recently and are much closer to 348 prices than 328 prices.

Buy what you like; and buy on condition not mileage and put miles on it; they are to be driven!

paulchua likes this.
  25. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Sure. :)

EnzoItaly likes this.