Unplug vacuum for exhaust flaps | FerrariChat

Unplug vacuum for exhaust flaps

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Sargepug, May 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Read someplace this is possible on a 458? What's opinions on it and throw any codes if unplugged?

2. Evo X

Evo X Karting

Jun 16, 2018
    Chicago
    Zero codes. It’s the first mod I did. Definitely worth it! Sound is so much more aggressive and consistent now. Search for tutorials. It’s very easy and fully reversible. Of course I had access to my buddies lift which made things go smoother as you have to remove the diffuser.

PhilNotHill and ShadowLAP like this.
  3. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Make sure to plug the vacuum lines going back to the engine.

4. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    My dealer did it. Cost was $135. Well worth it.

Baffles stay open all the time. If l want to use the speaker phone 7th gear at 3,000 rpms works for me. Very quiet. :)

5. eskanday

eskanday Karting

Jun 21, 2017
    My mechanic did it in the first week I got the car. I did not like the valves. There were always open and close around 3k, it was like on and off sound so the time and did not like that. Now the car sounds nice all the time. When you want to quiet it down, agree you can go to high gear.
    Some people install a controller. For me, I will likely always keep the valves open so it is not worth it for me.

6. 488mct

488mct Rookie

Feb 6, 2017
    Oman
    Had it done on my 488. Cold starts are really loud and completely changed the below 3k RPM sounds of the car, much better. Beware its a bit loud and there is a bit of droning on highway kind of driving, on the higher gears the droning isn't that noticeable.

7. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Yes, you can do simply plug the lines but I would strongly recommend installing a valve controller on the 458. I found with the flaps open all the time, there is a good bit of drone at low to mid RPM and sometimes you want to shut it off. With the controller, you just push a button and you're back to stock. I have used the Forza controller and have found it to be reliable, no issues, no check engine lights. You can install it yourself without taking off the bumper (kind of tight but with patience, you can do it) and save a ton on labor.

Here's a link (see post 39) with some install pics.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/disconect-exhaust-valves-wiring-on-458.564773/page-2#post-145890549

8. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Thanks for all the responses above and this one really gets my attention! I have this '84 Targa, that has a Fabspeed cat bypass and duel output exhaust. I despise the droning, but it only happens when the top is on, which is very rare. I'm 50 and have no head for it! lol
    I'm going to elect to not unplug....
    Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have a 488 with valves unplugged and do not notice drone on highway unless I'm driving in a gear that is way too low, I can assure you it will not be nearly as loud as your modified Porsche

488 sounds like a camry with valves closed, do it! :)

scott61 likes this.
  10. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Exactly, only time I have ever heard droning is when I'm in to low of a gear

11. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Yeah but 488 w/ the Turbos, sounds much less than a NA 458 anyway.....

12. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    I have had and done both. 488 valves always open = heaven and is mandatory for that car. No real drone issues. The 458 valves always open is wonderful when you’re ‘in the mood’ but there is a resonance/drone around 3-4k RPM and so sometimes you don't want that. The main problem sticking to stock on the 458 is it has a particularly noticeable (and annoying) on and off sound when you are on and off the gas WAAAAAHHHH, waaaah, WAAAAAAHHH, waaaahh. Opening the the valves gets rid of that. When you're not driving hard though, there is more drone in the 458 than the 488 with the valves open. Therefore, the controller = best of both worlds.

Lagunae92 likes this.
  13. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I think I recall you being on the Maserati forum... 488 with valves open isn't that much louder thant a granturismo with valves closed. ( I upgraded my maser GT to a 488 lil over a year ago)

488 with valves open I think is mandatory, it's a joke how quiet the car is during cold starts and at low RPM range with valves closed. Drone is not an issue at all unless you're asking for drone. The only time you'll hear drone is if you're in a gear that is way too low (think cruising down the highway in 3rd gear, which not something you would normally do if you're casually cruising)

johnr265 and Sargepug like this.
  14. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    The controller on the 458 was perfect. It really elevated the experience below 3000rpm, but cruising on the highway was normal at the click of a button.

johnr265 and Sargepug like this.
  15. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    #15 Sargepug, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
    Ahhhhhhhhh, a controller!!!! Just spoke to my Indy, ordering tomorrow. Thx!

johnr265 likes this.
  16. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Yes! Had a new '13 GTS and still have the then new '17 MC vert, which I am going to sell. What was your name over there? I don't recognize this one

17. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    newmas

congrats on the new 488... Very nice upgrade coming from a maser GT :)

18. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Yes, recall that name, What Masi did you have a still do? I bought a 458, wanted the last NA Ferrari....

19. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    13 GT sport, sorry for some reason I thought you were asking about a 488... I totally understand your apprehension to plug valves open on 458, I wouldn't do that either.

20. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Ok, I recall that and i'm installing a valve controller. ;)