Ferrari vs mclaren vs Porsche | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari vs mclaren vs Porsche

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Nincompoop, Apr 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    488 vs 720 both solid options. I still own my 720 and used to own a 488 that I traded for my Pista. Im a massive Mclaren fan but I understand if you dont have a local dealer and you happen to get a car that's a bit quirky, it can take away from the ownership experience. Fortunately I have not had any issues with my car and my Mclaren dealership is about 5 miles away.

What I can tell you is to drive both. The 720 blows the 488 away in terms of performance. The 488 is more refined and better build quality (negligible really but Ferrari is built better) the 720 and F8 will be more similar in performance. You have to decide what's more important- the Ferrari experience or performance. I can tell you no matter which way you go, you wont be disappointed.

Finally- keep in mind- this is not your last car. Once you get the bug, you will want more so dont feel like whatever you buy is a life or death decision. If you buy something and in 6 months another car catches your eye- by all means trade it in. People do it all the time.

Good luck.

Wikdstrate likes this.
  2. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    720S can be had for $220k US

3. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Same with 488.

4. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    If you are simply seeking value, go buy a new corvette.

In the public eyes, everyone admires a Ferrari, with a MAC, people say "what is that?", with a Porsche, they can't distinguish between a $20,000 model and a $200,000 model (which depending on your situation may be a benefit).

In the end, buy what grabs you. Zero logic involved in buying just about any super car unless you are in the biz.

My $.02

Clembo and jim g like this.
  5. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    My Mac gets 10x the attention of my Ferrari’s.

dustman likes this.
  6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    SoCal, as an owner of Pista and 720S, is there any discernible performance difference on the street? I can’t imagine beyond refinement of 720S vs rawness of Pista.

7. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    My post wasn't meant to say otherwise, rather the public just does not know what they are looking at, at least in my area.

Your results may vary...

Ash Patel and SoCal to az like this.
  8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Very similar in performance.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    those 488 are 2016. 720s are 2018 and 2019.

10. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    As others have said, setup of any car is a HUGE compromise. What works on the street is very different than on the track. I stopped tracking street cars years ago because as delivered, all street cars are not very good on the track compared to a proper race car. With a very small amount of adjustment, most good street cars can be made to perform brilliantly on the track. Take the Porsche GT4. a very nice, fun street car. I tracked it stock and it was AWFUL! Like most Porsches as delivered, it needs a proper track alignment and in order to get a proper track alignment, you need rear toe arms (not enough adjustability stock) and a few other bits depending on the car, and then?..... the car was brilliant. GT3 are the same thing, just slightly different numbers.

Now, so you ask, why doesn't Porsche do that for all of their cars from the factory? Simple, not enough people track them compared to drive on the street. A 'proper' track setup on the street is not fun. It tramlines and follows every rut in the road, straight line stability usually suffers, braking distances actually increase, and the high negative camber wears out the inside of the tire in less than 10,000 miles = pissed customers.

Ferrari is no different. They deliver a "race car for the street" with a street setup and I would submit that is exactly what you WANT. Yes, if you take that car to the track, you won't have absolute max levels of grip and you will wear the outside shoulders of the tires in a day or so (if you are an experienced track driver). You will get journalists saying it is not right for the track but on the street, yummmmmmmm. I love Chris Harris but remember, he doesn't pay for his own tires :p.

I wouldn't worry about at the limit handling on the street because it is rare that you will experience that in your daily driving. If you do, likely you are either being irresponsible in one of these cars (as the capabilities are so massive) or you are about to crash and the dynamics of the car have long been exceeded:cool:.

Agree with others, fun choices all of them. In this environment, if you want to experience a few of them, stick with used examples that have taken the 100k depreciation hit. You will find it more palatable to car hop.

11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    In spirited driving which gives you a greater thrill and sense of excitement?

12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    720s to me felt faster and the numbers prove that to be true. The 720 acceleration is incredible, the tech is better and it has cool features like the doors and folding dash. The Pista is more beautiful (IMO), sounds a bit better, handles better and feels more solid to me. For the price of a used 720 you just cant go wrong. My first one had downpipes and exhaust so I fixed the sound and added a bit of power. 2nd one was a 20' Spider which Mclaren did something to the exhaust to make it more aggressive so I didnt mess with it. I would get another one in a heartbeat.

Thecadster likes this.
  13. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I don’t think it makes sense to compare a hardcore version with a standard model. Generally speaking, the driving experience of a Porsche, McLaren, Ferrari, Lambo etc are so different that I think one just needs to accept/cherish their unique personalities and quirks rather than try to ‘compare’ them on a subjective basis.

14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I mean they both give an amazing thrill and sense of excitement. I cant tell you one is better than the other. Both are amazing. 720 more "refined" but feels tighter, more nimble and lighter due to carbon body. Pista more "raw" but not overtly so.

Pista "feels" a bit sluggish but only because the body is not as stiff as the Mclaren the actual numbers are virtually identical. If you are looking for a winner- I dont have one for you. I enjoy them both thoroughly and fortunately Im in a position where I dont have to compromise and choose one over the other. I think both are just utterly fabulous pieces of machinery.

Shadowfax, johnr265 and Nincompoop like this.
  15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    You know I was going to write this as well but decided to be more neutral in my reporting because the actual numbers are virtually identical but I echo your sentiment that the 720 "feels" faster. The carbon tub is a massive advantage and you can really feel it when doing spirited driving.

Thecadster, Gh21631 and Nincompoop like this.
  16. Nincompoop

Nincompoop Rookie

Feb 9, 2017
    Nevada
    This is very useful thank you!

johnr265 likes this.
  17. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    My inquiry was based upon having experience with the 720S but not with the Pista.

18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Have you seen the You Tube that makes a prediction that Maclaren will be bankrupt in 3 years ? Make a lot of sense.

19. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Have you seen all the YouTube videos on the world being flat? Just because it’s on YouTube doesn’t mean there is any truth to it. That video is by a former cameraman who doesn’t like Mclaren and has no finance experience. Here is their 2019 financial report released on 4/23. (With that being said COVID-19 could be a game changer for lots of companies that thought they were secure.) https://investors.mclaren.com/sites/mclaren-ir/files/homepage/mclaren-group-investor-presentation-fy2019.pdf

Gh21631 likes this.
  20. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
  21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Surprising that McLaren sold 167 less cars in 2019 compared to 2018.

22. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Agreed, especially with more models available. Also interesting that they say the 720s allocations are complete but plenty of new ones sitting at dealers unsold.

23. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    765Lt demand is not up to company’s expectation. Still will be a very special car.

24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    They send cars to dealers that were not ordered which is one of the problems. Ferrari is doing the same now but more discreet in how they market. For example you may not see a new Ferrari in the showroom but there maybe several in the back. Also Ferrari dealers cant market new cars online. One other challenge are the people who order cars and dont take delivery or the ones that buy them and immediately list for sale. They create artificial demand and saturate the market.

Shadowfax and mkraft3003 like this.
  25. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    I wonder if we will ever see the day when you can walk into a Ferrari dealership and buy a brand new car (from the back) and walk out with a discount? Interesting and unpredictable times!