COVID-19 | FerrariChat

COVID-19

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by mthompson2376, May 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mthompson2376

mthompson2376 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2017
    North East England
    Full Name:
    Mark Thompson
    Not sure how I feel about all this....I fully support the steps we have had to take to combat the current crisis.

I tend to take my cars off the roads during the winter and the long wait to April is often agonising, this year I run my GTC4 Lusso as a daily over winter, handled all weathers amazingly, so granted wasnt bad at all, but couldn’t wait to get my F12 back on the road. Didn’t bother taxing the cars in April, for obvious reasons, but looking at the glass half full, and the vastly empty roads, decided to bring the F12 out of SORN for the 1st of May, with brand new PZ4 Pzero (night and day between the old and new Pirelli’s - but that is another story).

My father is 72 lives on his own and is 50% deaf, something I am almost assured of given the noise of some of my machines, so when I phone him to make sure he is ok, often and worryingly we don’t get a an answer, he can miss phone calls all day easily, so I pop round, a pleasurable 5 mile drive, but the genuine reason for the journey is to make sure he is ok, usually at least once a week. In COVID-19 more like at least once every x3 days, we keep strict distance and sit 5m apart in the garden, I just listen because he can’t here me anyway.

Given my F12 was 100% legal I chose to turn the wheels last Friday, get things nicely warmed up after 6 months and once in the zone couldn’t resist a few squeezes of the throttle on the way to checking on my father...who couldn’t. I had waited 6 months, and in my mind had a very good reason for the journey, check on my Father.

Finally my point, whilst the car got a few admiring glances, the looks I received from other road users was utter shock and disgust I would be in a Ferrari....coming off a round about, with a wide open road and no traffic, breaking absolutely no road less whatsoever, phew....I easily spotted a police squad car in a lay by, which then followed me home 3 miles only to break away at the end of my street...sort of felt genuine harassment.

Gents have we done anything wrong, I was more worried about the unworthy road specimens around me clearly exploiting the 6 month MOT grace. I have (maybe had) a lot of respect for traffic police, but seems they are bored or something, or maybe the country has lost the plot. I went shopping to Tesco in the Lusso on Saturday something I usually do as the Lusso is my daily driver, again genuinely as a family of x5 we were getting desperate on few items and this was my first time I ventured into a large shop since the crisis, we have made do upto this point.

Why can’t we drive our cars, I get the argument that it could absorb a bunch of emergency services in a horrific accident, but by all accounts, we have 10,000 empty hospital beds, the lowest number attendance at A&E in 40 years, and a big white elephant on the shores of the Thames that has only treated x41 patients.....Crazy days. Have we had enough ? x10 miles in 6 months, £580 road tax and I have the pleasure of Police car sat 3ft of my boot lid for 3 miles of them. Thanks....thanks for protecting me....losing faith fast.

Anyway, bank holiday on Friday and I fully intend to drive my 100% legal cars for necessary journeys....I am sure I can think of some.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

prober34 likes this.
  2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Just be careful.....I had a full size truck coming off the freeway at 70MPH and as soon as he was clear the ramp, turned RIGHT across my path to enter a fuel station!

I'm sure he could not see me trundling along, and thankfully as I was mentally formulating the Parts Bill during the skid, my brakes hauled me down and I missed him by inches!

Point being, it's THEM, not us, but my Ferrari is under wraps, Spring Summer or not....

3. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Well technically you aren’t doing anything wrong as you are being sensible and just doing essential trips as defined by the gov. There is no law that says you can only do essential trips in certain cars!!!

the problem I’m guessing is public perception. The crisis has highlighted some stark contrasts in our society and a lot of people are seriously struggling; which to date has been ignored by in large by society for various reasons.

driving a Ferrari therefore looks like you have a lot and don’t care to show it. UK has never been a society that has been comfortable with success, let alone showing or celebrating such; in fact almost the reverse!

As to plod! I’d give the benefit of the doubt and just say he was bored!l

the oddity is nobody would give you a second look driving some stupid SUV/4*4 thing that cost similar!

gt4me and mthompson2376 like this.
  4. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Sad, but true.:(:(:(

5. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    it's ok now if caught out in your car in the UK even if non essential, just say you were testing your eye sight!

mthompson2376 likes this.
  6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Or tell them your name is Cummings.

7. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015