458 - Pics of my 458 and my buying experience | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 Pics of my 458 and my buying experience

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Defender 90, May 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Defender 90

Defender 90 Rookie

Oct 21, 2019
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Thanks, you read my mind! I was planning to lower it but I just found out that the previous owner had the springs compressed, by the dealer, to 1/2” lower. It sits right. Saved me like $2,300, IIRC, too.

Supposedly it was compressed to Euro specs.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Nsd991 likes this.
  2. Defender 90

Defender 90 Rookie

Oct 21, 2019
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I’ll sell it to you .

Matt Randolph. He is great, knowledgeable and a fun guy. There’s one lingering big issue but I feel confident they will do the right thing. At this time I will recommend him. His manager, Jack, is fantastic.

So I was in the market in February, then March happened and well you know.
    Once everything started calming down a bit I started my search back up again. I would check all the car sites 20-40 times a day for new listings. This car had no pictures and no description, it was only on CarGurus. I called and all my boxes were checked. However it was so new that they made me wait 4 days for them to inspect the car so they knew what final price they could give me. It was a long 4 days as I really loved this spec.

Granted it’s a risky time to buy right now but life is not all numbers. I want to go on car cruises with my friends right now and the 458 gives my friends and I light during challenging times.

3. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Congrats on your new car!
    Absolutely beautiful !
    I have to say it’s surprising to hear that dealers didn’t move much on price.

Defender 90 likes this.
  4. Defender 90

Defender 90 Rookie

Oct 21, 2019
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Yes. It was the only info, that I found on FerrariChat, that kind of was not reflective of the current market and not accurate. Since the specs are so custom dealers would say this or that car does not have this or that option then justify their price. I can understand if someone really wanted a lift but carbon fiber pieces, rims and such can be changed. It was quite disappointing.

5. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    congrats on your beautiful 458! fantastic spec! the ones that are spec'ed right sell fast and near asking price, you did well to get the car

are they still offering 2 years CPO warranty? I purchased my 458 spider last summer from a F dealer and the 2 year CPO warranty was a bonus!

Defender 90 likes this.
  6. Defender 90

Defender 90 Rookie

Oct 21, 2019
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Thank you so much. You are correct. I find that many of the ones that sit on the market have accidents and/or have odd interior color combination. The best advice I got on FerrariChat and from NormalGuySuperCar on YouTube: don’t compromise on the spec you want it will pop up eventually. It did for me.

The car went through the process of certifying (they fixed everything) but I opted to take a lower purchase price, by $3,500, in lieu of the 1 year warranty.

7. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Just curious, why always Race mode?

Defender 90 likes this.
  8. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Beauty. Congrats!

Defender 90 likes this.
  9. Borrow’d Mine

Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Steinhart, agree with you. Well spec'd and cared for cars sell and get good price. There a lot, I repeat, a lot of poorly spec'd cars out there. I'm all for variety and each his own, but there are so many cars with really questionable spec it makes you wonder - of course, that's IMHO.

Defender 90 and 2k8SB like this.
  10. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Big congrats! Don’t let it become a garage queen - drive the darned thang! I’m surprised you weren’t flamed for mentioning AUTO mode. Yes, vary the speed but don’t let her get away from you on the big highways.

Defender 90 likes this.
  11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    More fun! :)

Tamahal and Defender 90 like this.
  12. Borrow’d Mine

Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Perfect

2k8SB likes this.
  13. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Big congrats on your new 458. One of the best cars I’ve owned.

Defender 90 likes this.
  14. Defender 90

Defender 90 Rookie

Oct 21, 2019
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Thanks. I’m really having a blast with her.

I flew from Chicago to Tampa to pick her up. I am so appreciative of being able to drive her in sunny Florida before she is shipped up north.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

italiafan and Surfah like this.
  15. Defender 90

Defender 90 Rookie

Oct 21, 2019
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    LOL, auto mode. I do rallies and car cruises but I plan on limiting her to 1k-2k miles per year.

The FCA events look really interesting too; I just joined. I love how Ferrari has pedigree and lineage. Formula One wins and Pininfarina design. It goes back to the mileage thing, I am a driver and and a steward. I’m going to enjoy her but I also want to preserve and take care of her. I mean just look at her in motion: Image Unavailable, Please Login

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  16. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Congrats! I too, just picked mine up about a month ago. Between corona and all, was in shop for 3 weeks getting paint correction, wrap, ceramic, radar, jammers, black carpets (were red), etc. I finally took her on a run w/ the NYC Metro SCC and WOW!!! What a machine. I was originally thinking F8 or 488, but all my friends that had a 458 and own newer, steered me to the 458. They all say they miss the instant response of the NA motor, the sounds and overall raw "last real Ferrari" feel of the car. Cheers!

17. Defender 90

Defender 90 Rookie

Oct 21, 2019
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Wow, your Nero 458 looks good; stealth.

I had the same experience with friends. Every time I considered another model they told me: “458, 458!”

Surprisingly, it feels new and modern to me. It was ahead of its time and it is timeless.

18. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Thanks! Yes, for sure, way ahead. Mine has like 4,500 on the clock and still smells new inside and drives like a dream. How many on yours?

Defender 90 likes this.
  19. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Defender, congrats on your 458! I picked mine up back in December and have been loving every moment. I had 7500 miles on delivery but I am already up to 8500 miles. Enjoy!

Picked up a Nero 458 myself. Had black wheels originally but decided to change it up.

20. Defender 90

Defender 90 Rookie

Oct 21, 2019
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I bought it with a little over 4k miles on it. It’s a really special car that is well-loved by most everyone.

21. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Ha! Like mine
    For sure, i've seen a ton of review from past and present, that still call the 458 one of their favorite supercars and Ferrari absolutely nailed it.

Defender 90 likes this.
  22. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Read this from another thread about the 458. :cool:
    - Last 2 seater V8 with a key.
    - Last 2 seater V8 by Pininfarina.
    - Last naturally aspirated V8.
    - First Ferrari revving up to 9200rpm.
    - First Ferrari V8 to have a top speed that cracks the 200mph barrier (from the official Ferrari website. According to the same source: F40 - 197mph and F430 Scuderia - 198mph).
    - Record for a naturally aspirated engine in terms of horsepower per liter.

And the "créme de la créme":

- Interior layout featuring input from Michael Schumacher!!!
    - Aeroelastic winglets!!!
    - Three tailpipe exhaust, paying tribute to the F40!!!
    - That sound...
    :D

Gn_, Defender 90, m3doc and 2 others like this.
  23. Evo X

Evo X Karting

Jun 16, 2018
    Chicago
    Defender 90 and italiafan like this.
  24. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    How's Chi town as of late?! My bro in law, who's now 50, was born and raised on the south side when there were a lot of Italians. He now lives on Long Island and for his 50th, he ordered frozen deep dish and other food from https://www.loumalnatis.com/. It was FANTASTIC!!!! Last time I was there, I ate at the original Uno's (which was also good / crust was like cornmeal) and Randolph street was just starting to pop! This was late 90s....

25. Evo X

Evo X Karting

Jun 16, 2018
    Chicago
    Chicago has been great lately. We’ve had some really good driving weather. It’s also one of best cities in the country when it comes to cuisine imo. Sad what the current situation is doing to restaurants.

There is a Lou Malnatis less than 5 minutes from my house. My waistline can’t handle eating it often, but it’s always a treat when I do. Haha

SVCalifornia likes this.