512 BBi, #51257 ended up in my garage | Page 8 | FerrariChat

512 BBi, #51257 ended up in my garage

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by pshoejberg, Oct 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    That's a good question. I would say Beige based on comparison with color samples found on the net. See pictures below, more brownish than dairy colored?

Best regards Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Beige / Tan, same thing. I asked because your zipped pouch for the tool kit should match the interior colour. Yours looks Creama

3. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Well spottet...Didn't see that myself before you mentioned it. The pouch is quite a lot lighter appearing so no doubt the interior is Beige and the pouch Creama. I actually have a second pouch that's Beige, but it looks aftermarket and is slightly bigger than the original I have. Anyone fresh for a double deal: Red pliers and Creama pouch in as new condition for Blue pliers and Beige pouch....-:)

4. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Finished off a few small projects today;

- Adjusted the ignition timing at idle to the AF mark (18 deg retard) and checked the A5 mark at 5000 rpm (38 deg retard) All spot on and engine running very smooth.

- Evacuated the aircon system with my new Chinese pump...My god they still translate their Chinese user manuals using google...so fun and absolutely useless. Anyhow, got it to work by trial and error. Vacuum tested the system and charged 850 gram of R134a...It's blowing cold air now.

- Completed fabrication of the exhaust delete plates....Next up, when paint is dry, is installation of rear bumper and engine lid.

Best Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

dgt likes this.
  5. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Hi Peter..

First let me say YOU ARE NUTS! What an incredible restoration..and what workmanship...holy cow!

Hey, you probably already know this but I thought I'd pass it on. I checked in my Boxer book by Nathan Beehl. In the back of the book he lists all the BB/BBi serial numbers with little tidbits of info. Given your serial number, there were 81 BBi's produced after yours (mine was 59). Also your BBi was listed as Rosso Rubino with a Tan interior and the car was in Canada at the time he acquired the info. FWIW :)

Again, what an awesome job!

Now, here's what you need to do in your "spare time". Put together a book about the restoration...start to finish (are we ever really finished?). You could tell the story about the car and your acquiring it, your journey restoring and it along with all the incredible pictures you have it would be really a neat publication. You could get it published using Shutterfly...(do they have that there?), and I would be your first customer...think about it...it would be a real asset to us BBi owners.

Great job!

Don

6. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thank you for the nice words Don. Book writing could be fun but is not planned for in the foreseeable future. I think I will pass that obligation to our Boxer expert Newman and I will be his first customer...-:)

I think Nathan Beehl got it 50% right. The interior was (and still is) Beige (Tan) from factory, but the exterior was (and still is) Prugna from factory, very close to Rosso Rubino, but more brownish.

Best Peter

DonB likes this.
  7. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    For future reference please note that the timings mentioned above in post 179 are wrong. The BBi timings are 10 deg advance at 1000 rpm and 29 deg at 5000 rpm.

Best, Peter

2dinos likes this.
  8. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    I am loving this- great details from Paul re: routing and clamps- I already see a mistake I made!

Newman likes this.
  9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Very satisfying isn't it? And after doing everything you've done I bet you have a new appreciation for what it takes to produce a sorted boxer.

10. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I couldn't figure out why it said retard?

11. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    So very true, It is clear that the difference between a totally sorted out Boxer and a tired one is truly huge. The effort and expense to restore all systems to original or ? better is consequential but I think places the boxer in a different class.
    A beautiful job overall!

2dinos likes this.
  12. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Can't think of a better car to restore!

pshoejberg likes this.
  13. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Completed the assembly process yesterday including adjustment of toe in rear and front. Also test ran the car briefly, but I can hardly wait to get a proper run on the highway when I receive a set of temporary number plates. Next up is setting of remaining wheel geometry, a thorough cleaning inside out and a good polish. Newman, please notice, still some horsey left on the wingnuts after chrome process...-:)

Best, Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Looks great, the horse doesn't look like a giraffe!

But.....the top of the bumper inboard of the U channels is supposed to be trim black. After the bolts go in you black them out with a brush. The pic below is correct but I hadn't blacked the bolts out yet. And black out the screws that hold the tail light covers on.

Ignore the text in the pic.

15. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    There are two grounds for the rear clam shell lighting. The ground straps go from the hinge plates then follows the side of the hinge bars down to the gap between it and the bumper and bolts under the bumper on one of the bumper mount bolts not the upper heat shield. Sometimes Ferrari eliminated the welded nut in one place on each side of the car so you ran the ground and put a nut on the bumper bolt that lacked the welded nut. If there's a welded nut there put the ground between the bumper and mount tab before installing the bolt. Make the ground straps inconspicuous.

16. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I enjoy your sharpe eys Newman, thanks. I really struggled to find the attachment points for the two Engine lid ground wires....now solved. The black brush also needs another exercise round, it’s amazing how much nice looking newly galvanized fittings I have plastered over with black paint. Ferrari most have had a fully employed painter for this job in the factory back in the days.

Best, Peter

17. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
  18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #193 Newman, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Yes the bolts and that strip of bumper inside of the U channel on both bumpers need to be black.

That screw and washer on the strap isn't painted.

The nuts and washers that retain the cooling fans to the rad are also supposed to be blacked out as are the upper mounts if they have the yellow zinc collars on them. Every fastener and p-clip on the under side of both clams should be blacked out. The exception being the safety catch on the front is left plated.

I dont see them in pics but the center rear louvers used 4 small flat screws on the forward half to retain them and the rest are black rivets.

pshoejberg likes this.
  19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The pic you posted with the arrow pointing to the one bumper bolt is the one I attach the grounds to. Turn the ground end in such a way that it promotes keeping the ground strap tucked under the bumper when the lid is open.

turbo-joe and pshoejberg like this.
  20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Just to be clear, the blacked out section on the bumper was not painted by a brush, just the bolts were. So you need to paint those two sections like you did the rest of the black on the car.

21. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I got that Newman. The plan is to remove the bumper and thoroughly prep it and paint it flat black on the edge. It takes 5 minutes to remove it and I will have good access for making a top notch paint job as I did on the front bumper.

Best, Peter

22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Those integral brake ducts on the injected cars were a much better solution than the carb'd cars had with paper heater ducting.

pshoejberg likes this.
  23. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    After gentle advise from Newman I performed a small color scheme correction on the aft spoiler and blackened out various bolts and fittings. I'm very pleased with the visual result and I feel the time spent was well worth it. Also took the opportunity to correct a bummer I made when reassembling the engine. Back then I changed out all the oil seals but for some strange reasons forgot the most important ones, the seals on the differential output shafts. Gear oil was leaking at a rate I have never seen before. A 1 hour job with engine out and now a 10 hours job with engine in. I removed all 4 manifolds and the half shafts and changed out the old seals with no major issues using some old modified linkage bearings to hold backup when breaking out the shaft to differential bolt. The old seals were completely shot, the rubber was hard like stone and very brittle. I now have a leak free car..-:)

Best, Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

G. Pepper likes this.
  24. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    pshoejberg likes this.