Get rid of F430 Spider for Porsche Speedster? | FerrariChat

Get rid of F430 Spider for Porsche Speedster?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Nico, May 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nico

Nico Karting

Jan 16, 2005
    Socal
    #1 Nico, May 4, 2020
    Last edited: May 4, 2020
    Hi all, long time member here but not too active. I am currently in a dilemma. Owner of a '07 F430 Spider that I acquired back in 2010. Love the car. Till this day, it still brings a smile to my face from the moment I start it up till I'm out on the road. However, I barely drive it (put on 18k miles since... some can argue that is a lot for a Ferrari). It spends most of its time sitting in the garage. Hard to balance out driving all my cars evenly.

I have the opportunity to acquire a new '19 Speedster that is still sitting in a showroom. Problem is, I need to make some room for it, and I am not sure if the F430 is one of the cars I want to let go of. I have a '06 Quattroprote that I've had since new -- which virtually, isn't worth much; and a '10 GT-R that I stopped driving years ago (literally just an eye sore, sitting a car cover on my driveway)..... both those cars are out the door 100%.

I guess my question is: do you guys think the F430 is a model that is worth holding onto? Will their values go up in the future? I think the sentimental value of the car to me is worth more than the actual money value. This is the first Ferrari I've owned, but I don't think it will be the last. However, it obviously isn't some sort of limited production car and there are plenty out there. Plus the car seems to just be dropping in value the more I hold onto it. If it were a Scuderia or 16M, that's a different story (although I noticed the Scuds are also dropping for now).

Regarding the Speedster -- it's obviously in an entire different category than the F430. But the F430 is still a Ferrari at the end of the day; and, well, the Speedster is a limited production car and will certainly have more value in the future. I just don't want to be regretting getting rid of the F430 afterwards if I were to. The car has been absolutely great and has given zero problems, other than the normal maintenance.

"Worst" case scenario: I'll keep it. Although it's a bit difficult justifying it...

Thanks.

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    you will miss the 430 and most likely you will find yourself looking for one again. today there seems to be lots of interest in 430s and i think it will continue to put smiles on your face for years to come. aging gracefully for sure. i don't do the porsche thing so i can't speak to the compare and contrast, but i have 2 430 spider F1s for no good reason. they got the 430 spider just right. perfect car to put miles on. 16m is too much for a convertible and the market has never really loved that model.

stan996turbo and houtie123 like this.
  3. Nico

Nico Karting

Jan 16, 2005
    Socal
    That's my fear. Although it can be considered an "old" Ferrari now, it still delivers a different driving experience than the modern Ferraris. Something about the feeling of a single clutch when shifting just adds to the character of the car I think. Sure dual clutches are what's in and are faster, but the experience in these cars is just unique. Not to mention the naturally aspirated engine, which seems like will be a thing of the past given the direction of this brand.

I think all I need is just that extra encouragement to keep it. This helped. Thank you.

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    It may not have 700 hp but it still evokes a ton of emotion which is worth alot to me. Its as fun under 70 mph as it is over. You can stomp on it and not kill urself or anyone else. And the sounds, my God.

ZF123 likes this.
  5. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Well I am a Porsche guy since I was 17 when I got my first one. You will miss the 430 if you get rid of it. The Speedster is a cool car with a totally different feel than the Ferrari. All 911 cars are. I think nothing about hoping in the GT3 to go grab something at Home Depot or to take a run to the supermarket for a few items. Would not even think of that with the Ferrari. It just feels special when you drive it. I also agree on the single clutch. The dual clutch is fast, but it seems to lose some soul since it acts like a regular automatic with paddles, just with faster shift times.

6. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I think you know inside you love this car - with or without putting miles on it.
    I've had Ferraris for 20 years and that buzz never goes. And the 430 spider I've got has it in spades.

Don't regret - make garage space elsewhere!!!

7. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    The Ferrari is an event every time you drive it. It's not about the terminal speed or handling but rather the quality of the drive. A 355 or 308 would probably give the same feeling. Yeah, we're biased on this forum but I had a Ferrari on my wall (Magnum) and couldn't wait to own one.

When I bought my car was a dream accomplished. Will you feel the same about the Porsche. Btw, I've owned a 911 Turbo and still a 928 widebody Koenig. So I know the feelings

Keep the 430 or sell them all and buy a 430 3 pedal or get a 458.

8. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    If you are getting the Speedster for MSRP, then get the Porsche. Loads of 430s always for sale. Speedster at list is a safe bet money wise. The GT3 soul of the Speedster is at least on par with the 430 if not more so. The GT3 motor at 9k with the top down....(get a muffler bypass)....is simply epic. AND the Porsche has a MANUAL transmission that is amazing. Porsches of that ilk tend to have a very small, extremely loyal global following....
    For reference, I had a Scuderia, 458 Spider, Pista...and now have a GT3 Touring. My next car is going to be a Huracan Performante Spyder.

9. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    I know we are all biased, myself included, as the owner of a 2007 F1 430 spider. However, this car is truly just a timeless work of art. The other replies could not have been more spot on. If there’s anyway to keep it, I think you will never regret it. I have had many prior Porsche’s, and obviously appreciate and love them, but I’ve never had a stirring in my loins like I do when I look at this Ferrari...let alone drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Ahhh ... the first Ferrari you've owned. My first was a 355, and it was the only car that I felt sad to let go.
    Although my replacement was a gated 430 spider, I still wish I had kept my 355.

And yes, Magnum ... living in Hawaii, I'd see Magnum's 308 on occasion and had that dream that one day, I hoped to live my dream.

I would go with your "Worst" case scenario and "keep it".
    Good luck whichever way you decide and wishing you the best.

11. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    No way I would trade my F430 for any other car. It’s such an event every time you drive it. And it’s pure art to look at. Plus, I see quite a few Porsche’s every day, rarely do I see a Ferrari (like maybe once a year).