new oil leak location found? | FerrariChat

new oil leak location found?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Alfer, May 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    I have a small oil leak issue on the right side of the rear bank of the engine of my Euro spec 1988.5 328. I replaced the camshaft oil seals however the oil leak is still present. All was of clean so when checking I found a
    Ø5 mm hole (non threaded) just below the camshaft gasket and in line with the M10 corner stud for mounting the cam cover. It seems that this is the location of the leak, see pics.
    The 1st pic is not from my car.

Anybody familiair with this and found a way to solve without removing the stud and replacing with a locktite sealant.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Are you sure it is not a tell tail hole- ie a seal is leaking and this is the indication? Camshaft oil seal leaking ? Drawing shows 2 sealing rings

ferrariowner likes this.
  3. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Possible leaking spots;
    • Gasket at oil seal
    • Oil seal
    • Pinched rubber O-ring at gasket

4. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    thanks guys but I replaced the cam shaft seals (see below) and of course put a new cam cover gasket (and gaskets on the left side) with proper sealant in small quantities on both sides of the cam shaft oil seal holder etc. But still this leak that seems to have no traces to the camshaft seal holder as my 2nd picture above shows
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What if you plug the 5mm hole with oil resistant silicone or something equivalent?

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    It is there for a reason and that is the last thing you do

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You might have take the cam cover off and poke a bit of fine wire up the hole and see where it comes out, ie into the head ?

8. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    this seems best solution, at least easy to test. Below pic shows that the hole is just the exit of the M6 (above I typed M10 by mistake) stud. For M6 you start drilling a 5 mm hole - which is for this corner stud drilled through - after which the M6 thread is cut. The depth of the 5 mm hole is just about 10 mm (just < 1/2"). So seems o.k. o seal this.
    By the way I have had earlier studs (for mounting sump to motor) that also leaked a bit. These I refitted with a locktite and never leaked again.

miketuason likes this.
  9. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    You are 100% sure that it is leaking from that hole and not coming from above and hanging on to that point?

10. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    No Brian, I am not so want to exclude this. Gasket and seals above are replaced and this leak remains unchanged!

11. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    If this was happening to me I would clean the area thoroughly including inside the hole. I'd then curl up a paper towel bit and push it into the hole and make sure it comes out clean or clean until it does. I'd then go for a short drive with a fresh paper in the hole. Pull the paper out. Which end is oily? If neither, drive more. Repeat. At least then you know which end of the hole your problem resides.

Saabguy likes this.
  12. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    Great idea, I probably do that this week. When having an issue its mostly worth using this medium to learn and get advise!
    After the test drive I let know.

13. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Yeah... i'd spray into the hole with brake cleaner, then stuff it with a Qtip or two. Then drive a bit, remove, check the ends.

Brian Harper likes this.
  14. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    Again, thanks everybody. I did the test and drove 30 km after cleaning. Result is that the leak is still a small leak between the exhaust camshaft oil seal holder and the cam cover, hence the well known design issue. I will drive the 328 for some months and in the meantime find a way t do the upgrade by drilling a new 4 mm oil outlet hole at 6 o'clock next to the factory delivered 3 mm hole at 4 o'clock, see yellow arrows below.

Saabguy likes this.
  15. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  16. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    Thanks Mike, I already found your 10 year old thread. Great that you show pics what I also always do if I want to share some technical stuff with fellow F owners. I am studying now what other causes there might be so I can tackle them all when I take the exhaust cam shaft out (again…).
    Is yours still leak free...……..after 10 years??

miketuason likes this.
  17. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Knock on wood Menno it’s leak free and that’s with using full synthetic oil also.

18. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Leak free is usually temporary :) I hope you are the exception.

19. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I’ve been using synthetic for over nine years with good results as in leak free but I know nothing last forever so everything is temporary.

20. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I use synthetic oil too Mike.. Oil leaks just seem inevitable no matter what oil is used.

21. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    once you've found and fixed the current new leak/dribble/drip and you have a clean garage floor.
    sods law says your due another one very soon from another new place :) :)

Saabguy and ferrariowner like this.