1967 Ghibli Engine Mount Spring | FerrariChat

1967 Ghibli Engine Mount Spring

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Heymj73, Jan 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Heymj73

Heymj73 Rookie

Jun 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mathew Jonston
    Hi,
    Anyone know of a source to procure the engine mount springs for a '67 Ghibli?
    or,
    do you know dimension of free length and material properties?
    Much appreciated
    Mathew

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  3. Heymj73

Heymj73 Rookie

Jun 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mathew Jonston
    Great, yes #19 it is, thanks for the lead. There is an early type and a late type. The springs to rebuild the late type are available, but i'm struggling on the early one that I have.

4. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

Hi Mathew,
    I just wondered if your car is in the registry?
    If you wanted to check just log into the website here and if you want to add your car just use the submit page
    Best of luck with the engine mount

Julian

www.ghibli-registry.com

5. Heymj73

Heymj73 Rookie

Jun 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mathew Jonston
    Hi,
    a brief update.
    I contacted vibrachoc, who were very helpful. Unfortunately they could not find a match in their system. They can possibly supply replacement springs if i can provide the relevant properties. So, back to 2 questions - anyone know the free length, and the load supported and/or material properties?
    Regardless I'll update again once the issue is solved, for the record!
    Cheers,
    Mathew

staatsof likes this.
  6. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have these on my Bora. When one drives around WO the interior hatch cover you can see the engine moving and at times bobbing up and down. The rear is secured via a cross bar mount isolated by a rubber bushing to the transaxel.

On my Espada the engine mounts are rubber and the transmission mounts are the spring vibrachoc type.
    Consequently the shift stick bobbles up and down on some roads, it's a bit odd ...

One Espada owner has managed to cast urethane into that Vibrachoc assembly to dampen any oscillation effects.

7. Heymj73

Heymj73 Rookie

Jun 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mathew Jonston
    Hi all - a quick update to close(?) this out, and possibly for future reference for others.
    I've come to the conclusion that my mounts are okay. When i first looked at the one side it appeared that the spring had collapsed. Since, with the car up on stands, it's evident that both mount springs are symmetrical, and that the spring has compressed under the static weight of the engine equally on both sides. This allows the engine to oscillate, or at least move up and down. See photo attached. I didn't remove a spring to measure it, but in place came u with the following approximate dimensions, for what it's worth. Remembering that this is the early type spring.
    Free length - could not measure, but in situ approximately 50mm, plus the spare length at the end, say another 10 to 15 mm.
    OD 2" or around 51mm
    spring coil diameter - difficult to measure in place, around 8 to 9mm
    Resultant ID circa 34mm
    May your engines run smoothly!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hello to the OP, if you want a pair, they are on ebay here:

item 184278176725

difficult to tell if they are early or late, but at least they match.
    No affiliation, but have dealt with the seller several times and he is a complete gentleman.

best to all.
    Mark.