Trouble draining coolant on my 328 | FerrariChat

Trouble draining coolant on my 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by lopena, May 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Car is a 1988 328 GTB. I’ve already removed the front coolant hose and got a couple of gallons to drain out. I will be installing a Clark & Clark petcock to make future drainings easier.

My problem is the drain plug on the engine block. No matter what I try I just can’t get enough leverage on it to remove it. I’ve put the car on a lift, removed the rear undertray, sprayed the plug with Liquid Wrench and used every wrench in my arsenal but the damn thing just won’t budge.

Are there any secrets to doing this? Should I remove the right rear wheel and fender-liner to attack it from the side?

As always, your assistance is very much appreciated.

Alan
    N.J.

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    2 options:

1. Get more leverage
    2. Leave the plug and flush the system completely

3. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    open your heater valves too.

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I just did this yesterday on my QV although I’m not sure if the 328 is the same, I always drained it from the heater hose on the bottom as it’s the lowest part of the cooling system. Around four plus gallons came out. I never did try to open the petcock on the block, I’m afraid it might break cause it’s very tight.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I do three things:

1. I drain it from the heater hose connection at the bottom of the front. THEN I installed a T connection with a cap to aid in future drainage.
    2. I drain from the engine block plug. I think it is a 19mm plug. THEN I replace it with a petcock for future drainage.
    3. When all else fails, I apply 10 PSI to the over flow tank, and catch the rest of the fluid draining out from the heater hose under the front of the car.

Lastly, getting to the block drain plug is easier from the wheel well.

6. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Yelcab:

Yes, I have installed a petcock on the front heater hose and will do the same at the engine block as soon as I remove the drain plug through the wheelwell...my project for tomorrow.

Thanks to all for your responses.

Alan
    N.J.

7. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Well, I had a successful day under the 328. Working from the right-rear wheelwell, I easily removed the engine coolant drain plug (there’s no other way to access this bolt..not from the top, not from the bottom). I drained the coolant from both the engine and front heater hose and installed the petcock kits from Clark & Clark. I refilled her with fresh coolant then took Angelina for a brisk drive and checked for leaks...dry as a bone.

Job done!

Alan
    N.J.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

miketuason and thorn like this.
  8. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've always gotten to the block drain from the side so yea, pull the wheel and liner, it's a direct reach from there with pretty good leverage.