Oil Pressure & Temp Dead! | FerrariChat

Oil Pressure & Temp Dead!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Roc, Oct 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Roc

Roc Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Rocco LaBriola
    My new, at least to me, Mondial T is scheduled to arrive from Texas today. One of the problems that the Seller advised me about is that both the Oil pressure and temperature gauges are non operational. I don't know why both instruments aren't working unless there is a common component or ground somewhere. Has anyone run into this problem before? Where do I start looking? Any help would be deeply appreciated.

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Should be easy to fix! My oil pressure sensor was dead too. My mechanic just fixes it

3. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Congrats on your, yet again. new Mondial :)

It's very rare that the gauges are the issue. I would start to look at the sensors and see if they are connected or corroded. I believe the pressure sensor is horizontally located in front of the oil filter on a T. The oil temp sensor on a QV and 3.2 is next to the shift shaft in the oil sump and for a T I think it is in the oil tank. I merely assume this as this would be the most logical location if you have an oil tank.

4. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    My oil temp would work intermittently and then not at all. After tracing wires and not finding the problem, simply rewired the gauge (separate ground) and now it works great.

Redoing the fuse box didn't hurt and we added a couple of extra grounds to help the electrics all around (smoothing out the gas gauge which used to move around like it was doing a St. Vitus dance!).

Ferrari is the only company that can make Lucas electrics look good!

Regards,
    Jerry

5. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    You are one of the only people I have ever heard of that knows what St Vitas dance is!!

My mom was afflicted with it, and one of my kids (now adult) has Tourettes, which is just a modern name for it.

What a blast from the past to see that term.

Sid

6. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    check your fuses first

welcome to the mondi family

7. Cafe racer

Cafe racer Rookie

Mar 22, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Nigel Waterfall
    I had an issue with my oil temperature not working - the oil tank is rubber mounted, so what i did was add a ground wire to the chassis as advised by another thread, as for the pressure, it seems like the sensor goes bad on those, but thats an easy fix - just replace the sensor (by the oil filter)

8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    An easy diagnosis for each is to just unplug the wire from the sender and touch it to ground (with key "on"):

If the gauge needle goes to max (which it should) = most likely you need new sender.

If the gauge needle doesn't move = gauge problem or other electrical problem.

9. Cafe racer

Cafe racer Rookie

Mar 22, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Nigel Waterfall
    Hi Steve

Completely agree with you about testing the gauges - however the oil temperature sensor is a single wire feed from the gauge, it should ground out through the tank to give you a reading to the gauge, because my tank is rubber mounted & the bolts don't give a good earth i wasn't getting any readings, so i added a separate ground wire & now everything is fine.

At first i thought the oil temperature was from the sensor at the top of the oil tank (which has 2 connections) but thats the control for the fan on the oil cooler, oil temperature sensor is at the bottom of the tank.

Cheers - Nigel

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Cafe racer likes this.
  11. Cafe racer

Cafe racer Rookie

Mar 22, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Nigel Waterfall
    Yes, there was no ground on my oil tank, unless it was removed at some point, It’s slightly ironic that the cable I fitted almost exactly matches 68 in the diagram, I’m just not 100% happy with my ground on the body, got to find a better point on the chassis