hitting the rev limiter | Page 2 | FerrariChat

hitting the rev limiter

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by wlt, Oct 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #26 PhilNotHill, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    I believe the parameters can be reprogrammed in the SETUP section to anything you want.

there are only 2-3 seconds between gears...I have to be a second early to avoid the limiter. ;)

2. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Really? Well how about that.

3. Migas

Migas Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2013
    Lisboa - Portugal
    Full Name:
    Miguel
    I totally agree with you on this. Ferrari should read from us. Otherwise leds on the wheel will maintain just as a nice décor.

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Agreed. You are safely below the threshold. If you raised the rev limited and then hit it, that would be different.... or if you had a stick shift car and overrevved on a downshift, that would also be very different...

5. Migas

Migas Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2013
    Lisboa - Portugal
    Full Name:
    Miguel
    Phil. Set up is the weakest part of the car. It seems it was designed for babies or sissies. ;)

6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Well yes, but as other have pointed out, Ferraris have soft limiters. There is no harm done. :)

7. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Agree. Looking at the tach itself is more useful

That can be done?

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #33 Shadowfax, May 2, 2020
    Last edited: May 3, 2020
    I'd have that technician show you in writing from Ferrari the engine has another 3000rpms before it will let go. Sounds BS to me. What about valve float? Or did he forget about that and was just referring to the reciprocating parts free spinning in a crankcase without cylinder heads and combustion pressures?

An extra 3000rpms on top of an already stratospheric 9000? No way. I doubt the stroke of the engine would provide for much more than another 800 rpm top before its in the danger zone. I'd need to see what you are talking about in writing or provide scientific reference material relevant to this engine to prove your point . An F1 engine revving at 16000 is very close to limit and that kind of engine is a whole new ball game when you look at the capacity and stroke. While this engine is designed to be revved to 9000 its not necessary to do that all the time - unless you are racing on a circuit pushing times - and the wear and tear will certainly increase accordingly over time.

And when the engine hits the limiter and bounces after fuel cut the engine spins even further momentarily. I've seen read outs on engines which have been bounced off the limiter and they can go an extra 2 to 300 revs on.. The engine may be up to it but it isn't ideal to be doing that very often.

9. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    it revs out too quick to be using the tach (or LEDs) anyways... so rev her out, enjoy the feel and if she hits the limiter it gives a good exhaust crackle/pop... win-win!

SVR likes this.
  10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I understand your scepticism and I cannot provide any further proof. It is what I was told by a reliable person, but no more than that.

Per regulations, the limit of the current F1 engines is 15,000 RPM, but they rarely exceed 12,000 RPM.

I understand what you are saying, but when was the last time you saw an engine failure due to that?