458 vs NSX | FerrariChat

458 vs NSX

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Jo Sta7, May 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Today was a nice day and I was able to spend time driving both cars in a variety of scenarios. I’ll post some pics tomorrow. Anyway, here’s the review:

Acceleration/Performance: This is a tough one, they’re damn close. Above 4500 RPM the 458 has instant power and pulls hard. So chaotic is the experience that it’s hard to get to redline in gears 2-4. Above 130 mph (done on closed course ;) the 458 continues to pull but feels light like its dancing. The NSX is super quick too, also needs to be in the right rev range. It pulls possibly harder than the 458 but then loses steam towards the top of the rev range and the range is lower. It has a smaller range of fun. Launch control in the NSX is VERY easy to engage and VERY fun. 458 is faster above 130 mph than the NSX.

Steering: 458 wins, but it’s close. I love the feel of both steering wheels. The 458 has more feel but neither has a tremendous amount. Both are good in this regard. 458
    Dances way more and makes you feel one with the car.

Brakes: NSX wins. CCBs give a lot of feedback (amazingly) and don’t require any warming up to get them to work. The Ferrari brakes needs to be warm to work well. They require a lot of pressure when cold.

Sound: 458 is on a different planet. Far better and louder.

Transmission: NSX wins, but pulling Ferrari paddles are more satisfying and the Ferrari downshifts way harder in RACE. The NSX is way smoother though and definitely seems like a 2nd generation of DCT at low speeds especially.

Interior/comfort: 458 is way roomier inside and with bumpy road mode is just as comfortable of a ride. Seats are comfortable in both but 458 seats hug me better. Both could be driven daily. 458 is also way easier to get in and out. The NSX doors are so freaking long they’re ridiculous. I’ve looked like an idiot getting out sometimes.

Tech: NSX is way better. The tech of the 458 is definitely last generation and the phone integration is very poor. The lack of the ability to have Apple Car Play or play Spotify on the 458 stinks but I didn’t buy the car to play music. NSX phone integration is some of the best in the business.

Styling: 458 wins for me, not a bad angle, seriously. I like the NSX a lot too however (obviously since I bought it) but 458 is more timeless and beautiful. It will turn heads in 10 years.

Feeling: NSX feels, well, like an Acura some what. Reliable, kind of plasticky, solid even though it’s fast as hell. 458 feels special. Far less sound deadening means you hear all the stones that hit the underside so you tend to drive more carefully, instinctively trying to protect the car. It shakes more. Dances with you. Makes me smile and happy and nervous at the same time. It’s just an amazing machine.

JRE, Euroryno, Monsieur Yoge and 7 others like this.
  2. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    nice write up! are we talking new nsx or the older one?

3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    New one. 2017.

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Jon, I really enjoyed this write up and post drive review, much thanks for sharing.

Say both same price same miles and same condition, which would you get?

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  5. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Ferrari for sure. Used NSX is an amazing deal on the market currently, if you’re interested I definitely recommend. And it’s nice to know it can easily be serviced at an Acura dealer so it can be used. It’s not as special as the 458 though. Just can’t compete on that level.

paulchua likes this.
  6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Love the write up. We need more like this.

7. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I am going to try zero toe on my 458 to see if it helps the feel of the front end. I am hoping it will slow down the feel of the steering.

I don't like the feel of the front end over 160 mph or so either. Zero toe may not improve this. I may need to do a bit of toe in.

I have an alignment machine, so I can experiment at my leisure. I know it isn't a convenience many have.

PhilNotHill and Manda racing like this.
  8. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Off topic, but am curious for a 600lt review from anyone as a comparison.

9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Funny the 600LT has caught my attention as well

Sent from my 16M

10. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Esp at the price now and spyder.

11. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I drove my NSX back to back with a 570S spider a couple years back at a Mclaren networking event. I didn’t come away lusting after the 570S although it was quite good. I totally understand the LT cars are different.

12. tscud

tscud Karting

Jan 16, 2014
    San Diego
    Love this write up.
    I have done a few short test drives in a 458 and a few laps on a track. It was very fun but recall a lot of understeer on the track.
    The 600LT, I had for a full 3 day test drive. It was a spider. It was much better performance wise with acceleration, handling, steering feel, playful chasis, and more. But that was only when pushing it hard. When driving around at speed limit, it was a bore. And the Senna seats are gorgeous to look at but suck to sit in. I am only 5'7" and in good shape, with no back issues. Still my back was unhappy after 10min.
    In the end I am not considering at 600LT even at these crazy low prices, and am seriously considering a 458spider.
    I am not after the fastest car or best performance, I want the feeling of a special event when I grab the keys and take it out.

13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I placed a call on another 458 Spider yesterday....

14. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    tscud,

I enjoyed the eloquence of the last line in your post! It defines my feelings on the 458 exactly. The gods at Maranello reached for the stars with the 458 and the result of their work was nothing short of epic! Cheers!

Euroryno likes this.
  15. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Thanks for posting this. I find NSX so comfortable as DD. is 458 really that comfy? Everything else I would imagine would be similar

16. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    lol!!! i was just looking as well. McL Los Angeles has so many of them.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  17. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015

please don't sell this one after you get it.

just curious, what color is this one going to be?

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Autotrader...$220k! Not racing seats, but still. I worry too competent, smooth and quiet for my taste though. Ie, a 90% Pista at 45% the price still may not excite me.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  19. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    thanks for the write up. don't all 458s have CCB though?

20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Interestingly, the M5 is definitely the quickest accelerating of the three cars. It doesn't matter what gear you're in. Just put the car in sport plus and floor it and you go. The acceleration doesn't stop. Pulls hard and is very stable above 150 mph (done on closed course). I was kind of bored with the M5 but the Ferrari made me appreciate the car more and the M5 makes me appreciate the Ferrari more. In the Ferrari I'm going 80 with a smile on my face and it feels faster, in the M5 I'm cruising at 100+ barely touching the throttle. Launch Control on the M5 is very fun.

21. s4play

s4play Karting

Oct 25, 2006
    Good write-up, I have both cars so it was interesting to read your take on the cars.

The NSX is as rock solid machine, blistering fast and the first car I would pick to drive cross country. The Ferrari is a like a surgeon's scalpel, also a great and comfortable car! You can't go wrong with either!

I'm a die-hard NSX fan at heart as I have both the new and old NSX.

My toys:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JRE, 458Silverstone, johnr265 and 3 others like this.
  22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Great looking fleet. I'm 6'3 about 215. I find the NSX a little tight after a few hours. The Ferrari is much more roomy. What would stop me from taking the Ferrari on a road trip is the lack of phone connectivity. My old i8 was the best GT car I ever owned. Roomy inside like the Ferrari. Great fuel economy. Quick as one needed.

23. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Something as simple a BT dissent work in the 458? Thats a shame. Maybe try a headset, I have to do this in my Pista.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  24. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Bluetooth works for calls. But honestly it’s useless I can’t even hear the person. Doesn’t play music though.