RIP Senna.. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

RIP Senna..

Discussion in 'F1' started by Remy Zero, Apr 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fgg

fgg Karting

Jul 5, 2005
    Dearborn, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Frank Guido
    Enjoying at this moment my personal collection of Senna races, especially his many wins at Monaco. F1 will always be a treat, it just will never be the same without having been able to see his amazing talent continue.

2. Dave 456

Dave 456 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dave Simons
    Tom Rubython - "The life of Senna" ISBN 0-9546857-0-9, chapter 30.

3. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I vividly remember the BBC Ceefax (teletekst) headline (back then I didn´t haveaccess to the internet). It read: SENNA DEATH STUNNS IMOLA

That was for me the first confirmation of his death. Uptill then I still had the firm believe it would all be ok.

The day before I saw Roland Ratzenberger lose his life in live television. Of course I knew of drivers killed in the past, but I had never witness such a disaster unfold, until april 30th 1994. I was blown away by it. I really didn´t know what to do. And that was Roland Ratzenberger. A very nice guy, but hardly an icon of motorsport. I asked my mom (who back then watched all the GP´s with me) if she could imagine how it would be if someone like Senna were killed in such an accident. Little did we know that we would have our answer in less than 24 hours.

4. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    somehow, i think Senna's death saved the likes of Hakkinen, Schumi, Kubica, and Kova...

his death made the engineers re-think the safety of F1 cars, as well as FIA to do things like the tyre wall, etc.

5. Ferranki

Ferranki Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Ken
    +1 to both

6. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
    I skimmed parts of that but have saved it and will read it tomorrow thanks very much for posting it.

7. icky

icky Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Anchorage, AK
    Full Name:
    Jesse B.
    Wow. Thank you for posting that. That was amazing. Incredibly sad. A thought came to my mind as i was reading this, and of all the theories and speculation of what "exactly" happened, I thought of one that's probably the most far fetched. The article stated that he was very upset, and somber at the weekends events, and it almost seemed as though he had given up on safety as no one wanted to listen. What if he had planned to hit that wall on purpose to force people into improving car safety? Do you think that would be even remotely possible?

8. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    No he wanted to win that weekend, and even had the Austrian Flag in his overalls as a sign of tribute to Ratzenberger who died the day before. Senna with the urging of Lauda that weekend had been at the forefront of discussing safety at the Drivers meeting. Once he got in the car he was going for the win. Something broke, thats it, he just got unlucky.

ricksb likes this.
  9. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I remember my eye's tearing up as I watched his car come to a rest as I just knew my hero was no longer with us. Yes 14yr's seem's just like yesterday and I have only watched the race one time after recording it live and vowed to never watch it again.

10. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    +1

Senna publicly said that he's wDC hopes starts in Imola. he was going for nothing less than a win.

but i can't help but think if he knew he was going that weekend?

11. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
    I took some time to read that in full yesterday, thanks again for posting it was very moving. I have never read anything about the weekend as a whole in so much detail.

RIP Senna!

12. thoz

thoz Karting

Dec 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Brian, thanks for starting the thread. I've beeen travelling and just now found and read it. I thought I'd share a short Senna story. Its been a long time and some of the detail may not be perfectly recalled, but its substantially accurate.

Late in the 1988 season, Senna arrived in Adelaide for what I think was the last GP of the year. He was suffering from a minor nasal complaint and sought medical treatment from friend of mine. John met with him on two or three ocassions, treated him sucessfully and Senna drove to second place behind Prost.

The following week an enormous floral arrangement and hand written note of thanks from Senna arrived at John's office. The following year Senna sent John six tickets to a corporate facility above the pits as a further thank you. This pattern continued through 1990, 1991, 1992 and 1993. Then, of course, came the tragic events at Imola. Thus it was somewhat eery when, during August 1994, John received the customary tickets and a note from Senna.

Like many of us I read much about Senna during, and after, his career. I attended eight of his races, but never met the man and the story above was as close as I ever got to glimpsing the real person. I've always been surprised by the level of personal appreciation proffered by Senna in relation to such a minor matter.

Best

Tim

13. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I was never really a fan of Senna since he drove for McLaren for most of his career, but then when he moved to Williams that year I was starting to turn into one(a fan)... the accident was sad, I remember watching it live :( anyway here is a tribute video that ITV did for an anniversary, I found in my collection of F1 vids.

Abit of Schumie knocking and "what ifs" but I'm sure the Senna fans here(that haven't seen it) will enjoy it.

http://www.coresworld.net/fchat/Ayrton_Senna_Tributes_LQ.avi 20mb

14. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Tim, at least u managed to attend some of he's races. i was way too young when Senna was at he's peak, and even when he left us, i was just 8 i think. one thing i regret in life is, never had the chance to see him in action. i'm lucky however, to see MS in action a few times..

15. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

thank you for this post remy. like many have said before...i too remember the day like it was yesterday. i remember feeling robbed and angry. he was my second hero that was taken from me/us.

rem, after reading the entire article, i feel sad all over again. senna was special...threads like this will ensure that he will always be.

pcb

16. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i actually read this article a few months ago. made me sleepless that night.

17. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

I know the feeling. I've been watching all sorts of videos about him on youtube to pass the time at work. A few in particular are very interesting. Lately I've been watching what amounts to all the coverage from TV globo on his death, funeral, etc. It's a good thing I understand some portugese. Still sad after all there years...........:(

18. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i think it was he's mum who accepted he's helmet at he;s funeral? very sad indeed for any parent to bury their own children.

19. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    It was mom or sis, I think. On a lighter note, I also watched an interview with his ex-wife from before he was in F1. If i understood correctly, she said he proposed to her while in bed at a hotel, lol.

Pimp!

20. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    :D

well, i must say, Bruno really looks like him...a bit taller maybe..

21. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
  22. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Yeah but the poor kid has no luck. He seems to be quite quick but if there's something to go wrong it usually does for him.

23. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    yea, like that dog incident. btws, i had no idea GP2 cars look so much like an f1 car now.

24. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Never forgotten RIP

25. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Boy this whole forum has turned into "walking down memory lane." Nor rumors, or malicious taunts, or predictions, or love/hate rants, or any news about what is going on?