812 Exhaust Valve Controller? | FerrariChat

812 Exhaust Valve Controller?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by blockbuster, Mar 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blockbuster

blockbuster Karting
    Owner

Nov 26, 2006
    U.S.
    Has anyone here installed an exhaust valve controller on an 812 (e.g. Capristo unit or similar)?
    If so, how was the installation in terms of cost and complexity?
    And, when the valves are set to "open all the time" is there any drone noise?
    Any other comments in favor or against would be appreciated.
    Thank you!

2. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    Yup, had my dealer do it. I think they charged me around $1k?

Anyway it's not really droney but if it annoys you can can always flip the switch. I play with mine all the time as it's mounted under the steering column super discreetly.

3. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Capristo? You happen to have a picture? I have one installed on my F12 and plan to do the same on my 812 when it arrives in the next couple months. Currently, it just sits loosely on the center armrest console. Semi-permanent mount under wheel sounds like a much better solution.

4. blockbuster

blockbuster Karting
    Owner

Nov 26, 2006
    U.S.
    Thank you for your reply. Do you find that the valves open setting makes low rpm driving sound better than the factory original (i.e. closed) setting?

With the F12, I think open valves at low rpm definitely improved the sound in the cabin. But I have not driven the 812. Perhaps the 812 sounds better than the F12 at low rpm, even with the valves colsed?

Or, perhaps the 812 really “needs” an exhaust controller to open the valves at low rpm just as much as the F12 did.

I’d appreciate your thoughts on these questions.

5. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I had a Capristo one fitted, it does not make as much difference as the F12 one did, but it does make it louder so worth doing, comes with new dongle to so you can leave them open by default

6. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I don't think mine is Capistro but I'm not sure exactly what the dealer used. Mine is just a toggle switch mounted under the steering column.

It seems to not make as much of a difference as the F12 but that's subjective. I only have 500 miles on the car so I'm not sure my opinion is that strong either way.

Thecadster likes this.
  7. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I had the Capristo valve controller on the F12 but simplified my life by having the dealer just pin the valves open on the FF, 488, and 812.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I had this done and don't think it was really worth it from inside the car. The difference outside the car is much greater. I wanted to hear more from it like the 458 did. Any other suggestions to get more sound into the cabin? Obviously exhaust and cat-delete, but in LA, they are cracking down on loud exhausts...

9. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I roll my windows down if I want more cabin sound but I don't care if it's louder at idle or not. I like the sound on acceleration and the fact that it seems to have two distinctly different sounds. It wails up to about 7k and above thta it gets really deep and louder because I guess the intake is sucking more air at higher rpm but it sounds like it's sucking down a lot more gas. Anyway that's how it sounds to me.

Lagunae92 likes this.
  10. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I suppose I should wait until the break-in is done. I know it’s not specific, but trying not to push it too hard until we’ve driven 500mi or so. I have experienced that two stage acceleration though. It’s intoxicating. I do notice quite a lot of wind noise with windows down. Considerable amount more than the 458. I also appreciate how mechanical it sounds, and the fact that there no exhaust rasp as you push a little deeper into the pedal.

wrs likes this.
  11. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    I just pinned my valves today. Went to O’Reiley’s and bought a package of assorted vacuum caps, jacked up the car, pulled off the rear tires, reached in and did it in 5 mins. One cap fits perfectly over the valve nipple and another over the vacuum hose & sealed it with some black electrical tape. Sounds perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Thecadster and Bundy like this.
  12. Horsin'around

Horsin'around Karting

Jun 14, 2017
    Do you think it can be done on a lift without removing the rear tires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Yes. One can easily reach the vacuum hose.

Tactile dexterity is a must. I'd also have a short piece of wire ready to retrieve the dropped cap (which u will drop at least one) when u try to put it on the nipple. The only potential problem would be pulling on the vacuum hose and it detaching from the main line and not the valve, which would require at least pulling the tire if not the under body.

Take a look and wiggle your hand back in there. The vacuum hose is bright blue and again, easily reached.

The only issue with pulling the tire is that Ferrari use wheel bolts and not the easier lug/nut combination, which is a PITA to do. But if you track your car any it's an opportune time to clean off the rubber.

FYI wheel bolt tension is 120 Nm. IIRC 88.5 Ft-lbs

Bundy likes this.
  14. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I installed the same Capristo unit on my 812 that I previously had on my F12. Candidly, I set it to open, and never have once closed it. Sounds great. If anything, I wish it were just a touch louder. It’s a good, cheap, mod for a more impactful exhaust note.

wrs likes this.
  15. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Yes. Louder in the cabin would be nice. Plenty loud outside, but I can’t tell it’s on very easily unless I’m idling.

Thecadster likes this.
  16. Alesnik-MD

Alesnik-MD Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    West coast FL
    Full Name:
    JPA, MD

Is there a DYI protocol or video to pin these valves open on the F12?

BLKSCUD likes this.
  17. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo

All you have to do is look into the rear wheel well. Blue hose and exhaust valve. This video is on an F12 but you get the gist. Skip to 10:40 and you will see the hose.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bundy likes this.
  18. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
  19. Alesnik-MD

Alesnik-MD Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    West coast FL
    Full Name:
    JPA, MD
    Thx. I'll take a look.

20. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
  21. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    I had the capristo installed on my 812SF and I notice it when it idles, I think on the run down in the rpm while under load it does seem to have more exhaust sound if you know what I mean.